It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
(female)

kim46 HB User
May I ask how long you have been taking pain medication

and also if you think you could be on some sort of pain reliever for the rest of your life?

I've been on and off them for about 6 years but on for the last 1.5 years. I take 30 mg percocet daily, down from 30 10 vics and 20-30 mg percocet, but I hope that changes with an LA medicine too.

I look at this way - I took the vics always as prescribed so if I can stay with the instruction, I'm ok using the medicine but sometimes I wonder about life without PM.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
Re: May I ask how long you have been taking pain medication

I've been on a pain management program for almost 8 years. Early on I had many problems and would get vicoden. Plus I get chronic kidney stones so then I'd be on percocet or dilaudid. As I was researching things I began to feel uncomfortable as since I had different pain issues at one time or another I was getting meds from different docs, although never at the same time. So I went to my PCP and told him my pain issues and that I'd rather get my meds from him only. He looked at me and then asked if I was worried about getting addicted and I said I was more worried about being in pain and not living my life. He looked at me another second shrugged his shoulders said OK and gave me 3 Norco's a day and demoral when I had kidney stones. I stayed with him until we moved and then saw an internist who finally diagnosed me and sent me to pain management where I started on the patch.

Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Every day for 8 years, and from what I have been told, unless something comes along in medical science, that can "cure" or "fix" me.....for the rest of my life.

It was difficult in the beginning, but I realized that I had no choice, if I wanted to live some semblence of a normal life. I was 38 when I started this and I was not ready to give up everything that made my life a happy and fulfulling one. So....the meds are here to stay.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Since my injury in 2004 on and off until September 2007. In September 2007, I had a nerve block and something happened on the table. I experienced the worse pain ever and have been on pain meds 24/7 since.

I suspect I will be on something for the remainder of my life.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
(female)

cherish1 HB User

On and off since my back injury in 2005. Every day since February when I fainted and jarred my back.
3/21/06 - L5-S1 fusion w/o inst.
12/21/05 - Lam/Disc. L5-S1.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
(female)

calibabe HB User

Ever since early 2003. I have progressed from Norco (which I still take for breakthrough pain) to Fentanyl, Valium and Parafon Forte.

So goes the life of pain management patients.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Got pneumonia Feb 18th 2003. Quickly went from cough syrup with codeine to cough syrup with hydrocodone to hydrocodone to percocet. I took massive amounts of percocet for a year and then went to pain management. They tried all kinds of treatments and shots on me and switched me to Oxycontin which I've been on for about 3.5 years. About once a year my pm would try new meds or treatments. Last year we tried all kinds of meds and my last shot of any kind!
Now we're just in limbo...no diagnosis, no more new treatments(until I can afford acupuncture) and meds for life. YIPEE!!!

I forgot to add that I had been dealing with tmj issues since 1986 and took hydrocodone for that. The only blessing with my new pm regiment is that it helps with my tmj pain also.

Last edited by trowftd3; 05-21-2008 at 11:45 AM.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I've been in PM and taking opioids since around the mid 90's. In the beginning it involved osteoarthritis of the knees and chronic daily migraine. I was taking mostly vicodin and Synalgos®-DC (dihydrocodeine/aspirin/caffeine). In the late '90s my doc prescribed Imitrex for my migraines and I've never taken an opioid for them again. From Vicodin & Synalgos I went to OxyContin, then Duragesic and Actiq, then methadone, now MS Contin and OxyDose for BT pain. I also take Ultram and Cymbalta.

steve

Old 05-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
(male)

JoJo921 HB User

I've been on pain meds for 3 years now and will probably be on them for quite some time. I am glad that for the last year I have had a very compassionate pm doc who understands pain and is not afraid to aggressively treat it. I think you will find that most of us CP folks have been on them for a while and will probably be on them for quite some time to come if not the rest of our lives.JoJo

Old 05-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #10
(female)

kim46 HB User

Thanks for sharing. It will help me in my quest for adequate PM and in my quest to find a compassionate doctor.

Closed Thread