It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 05:53 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Terrencey HB User
neurostimulator's effect on "pleasure response"

My spine surgeon is finally starting to admit what my body has been telling him for almost a year and a half (laminectomy, fusion L5-S1 12/19/2007): that the surgery was unsuccessful. Now, he wants me to try a neurostimulator for the nerve pain in my legs and feet. One of the major drawbacks of pain meds is that they block the pleasure response as they block the pain response (IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN--ahem). Does the neurostimulator block the pleasure response too? Can you just shut it off on date night? I can't find any information on this topic in the Medtronic literature.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: neurostimulator's effect on "pleasure response"

I guess it depends on where the leads are placed (if you know what I mean).

Seriously, no, I do not believe the stimulator causes the same problem.

steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
(female)

Eva32159 HB User

I just read an article about that kind of shut-down response, which is due to high levels of opioid extended release meds. For women it seems not quite as much study has been done but, they suggested the best results so far has been from the supplement DHEA. It is available in any health food store, most grocery stores and literally all pharmacies. Of course, take it as directed or you'll end up with a low voice and growing a beard.

I'd have to dig up the article again (if I can even find it) to tell you what the Men's treatment was....

I added this DHEA about 2 weeks ago to my normal daily meds has I do believe there's been improvement .

There was no mention about any of this type of side effect from a stimulator. It seems that it is just another one of those "little" side effects of the actual pain meds that doesn't get addressed.

Hope this helps.

Eva

Old 05-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
(female)

Longsuffering1 HB User

Not only does it not effect it directly, it can increase the pleasure because you can get a program to deal with the pain that lights up during the aftermath, if you have problems with that. Double your pleasure, double your fun!

Closed Thread