It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
(female)

speciality HB User
UGH ACK! relaying phone messages to Dr., and Percocet question

I swear, relayed messgaes just dont get it. I am never allowed to speak to my Dr. on th ephone. I must give all info to his MA, and although sweet, I feel she doesnt get the whole gist of things. Today I call her and tell her I want to go back to the Percocet, as the IR oxycodone the Dr. decided on, is not working as well as the med with tylenol in it. She tells me she spoke to him, and I should not need a refill until the 27th. Well, I dont, I have enough!! They are not working as well, I stated in my message I would bring them on, and give the pills back. Anyway, she just does not relay messages well. I will just deal with the oxycodone IR until the 27th. Anyone have any ideas why it does not work as well as the percocet? I wanted to try the IR as it much less expensive than the percocet, and supposedly the only difference is the tylenol. TIA

Old 05-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
(male)

chiefan58 HB User
Re: UGH ACK! relaying phone messgaes to Dr./Percocet question

I don't know near as much about these as a lot of people on here do, but if the only difference is the tylenol, can you take tylenol with the other?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

I went thru the same thing last week. Im used to being able to talk to my doc whenever, and have his cell number, but Im trying to respect his privacy since he went to a medical center and Im going thru the front desk.
CLUELESS, is what they are. last week he didnt get any of my messages, and today when I called the old bat cant even pronoounce Fentanyl. So when she keeps asking what it is regarding and I tell her "my meds", and "please just have him call me", she still cannot get it.
I can totally relate. From now on, Im calling thru the front desk one time, and if he doesnt get the message, Im calling his cell. Its rediculous. Some of these ppl could really get somone in a horrible bind.
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 05-21-2008 at 04:03 PM.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Was the Percocet brand? Is the Oxy IR a generic? Do a search and find the thread "Brand vs Generic- Major findings"....A very informative thread.

The difference between the two may lie in the 20% difference drug vs drug.

Ex

Old 05-21-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
(female)

speciality HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Was the Percocet brand? Is the Oxy IR a generic? Do a search and find the thread "Brand vs Generic- Major findings"....A very informative thread.

Ex
Hi Executor, you seem very in the know, maybe you can answer my questions. Is the only difference between oxycodone IR and Percocet generic (Watson) the tylenol? Or could the mixing or compounding affect the way it works. Would taking tylenol with the oxycodone be the exact same thing? I am trying to find a good alternantive to the Percocet that costs 273.00 per month. The oxycodone IR is much cheaper, but seems not to work as well, maybe it is my imagination? Any ideas/suggestions welcome here! TIA

Old 05-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
(female)

speciality HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post

Ex
It is generic percocet and generic oxycodone IR

Old 05-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
(female)

speciality HB User

LOL I have been oing to my Dr for 5 years, I have been granted phone access one time. So it is not like I call him much..LOL. I was only "allowed" after I demanded to speak with him. I guess tehre are people that call all of the time, and like pain meds, they ruin it for everyone else.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: UGH ACK! relaying phone messages to Dr., and Percocet question

speciality,

Are the two generics forms of oxycodone from the same manufacturer?

Regarding access to the doc - IMHO this kind of message must be delivered in person face-to-face. It requires an appointment. Any other form of communication is fraught with risk of miscommunication and suspicion. This could very easily be construed as a means to get more meds. He and his office have probably seen this so many times they don't even react to it except to quote refill dates.

As I wrote, IMHO you need to do this in person. That way there's little chance for misunderstanding.

steve

Old 05-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by speciality View Post
I am trying to find a good alternantive to the Percocet that costs 273.00 per month. The oxycodone IR is much cheaper, but seems not to work as well, maybe it is my imagination?
Are you sure the Percocet is generic? $273 sounds awful high for a generic, unless you are paying cash for the entire script. Even then, it sounds high. A bunch of companies make generic oxycodone, so it's fairly affordable...Or should be.

Also, Percocet and Oxy IR come in different strengths. Percs come in 2.5, 5.0, 7.5, and 10mg. Oxy IR comes in 5, 10, and 15mg. I think it may even come in 30mg, but I'm not sure. I know a lot about the different formularies, but I don't profess to know all the different strengths.

The point being that you have to make sure you are comparing apples to apples.......

- Are they both the same Oxycodone strength?
- Are they both generics?
- Are they made by the same company?

Chances are they are not made by the same company....Because of the 20% variation allowed by the FDA, it's quite possible that one or the other is stronger per the allowable variance.

Additionally, the Percs have tylenol which may help with the analgesia.

Hope this helps.

Ex

Old 05-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

have a look at the prices on the big online pharmacies, they often give better prices because of th huge volumes they move.

also, you could use the ir oxycodone plus a couple of tylenol

Last edited by aussiejono; 05-21-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Generic percocet is ridiculously expensive! When I had problems with my insurance recently, I had to pay for two different scripts. One was for 70 pills....and it was $116.00. The other was for 168 pills. It was a whopping $278.00!!!! It stinks and I think they are just high because people really need them.

I agree that the generic brand may be to blame. I was given roxicodone 15mg, but due to the different, weaker generic, they were not as effective as the 10mg percocet! I would check if there is another brand you can try, after you try adding the tylenol to your dose. Good Luck!

Amanda

Closed Thread