It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Getting Past The Front Desk!

I dread calling my doctor. Does anyone else have a lot of trouble? And if so, what do you do? I try not to bother my doctor at all, but when I need to get a message to him its horrible. I adore him, and he always apologizes profusely if he doesnt get the message. We have a very good doc pt relationship as well. I try to make it brief and quick as well...
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 05-21-2008 at 03:21 PM.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: Getting Past The Front Desk!

Izzy,

Are you trying to work the change in meds?

If so, as I wrote to "specialty" this needs to be done in person. I have yet to see a doc that feels comfortable doing this over the phone. And I, for one, would never attempt to do this over the phone, even with my wonderful relationship with my docs.

The chance for miscommunication is just too high. Even if you are doing a good job of making your point, you don't know what distractions he has going on around him. Shoot, he could be trying to see three patients at once, all in different rooms, doesn't want you to feel badly because you can't reach him, and he mis-hears something you say because of background noises, and WHAM! - he hears something that sets him off and he begins to wonder just what it is you are trying to do. Not suspicious, just surprised with something you may not even have said, but he heard it the wrong way. And this one call could permanently change his estimate of you, because he may always remember what he thought you said. Something he hears from others that are abusing the system.

I just wouldn't chance it - if it's the subject of changing meds. Even though you have to travel to see him I think it's worth it.

steve

Last edited by forginon; 05-21-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Steve,
No this is for anything. I needed to ask himj about something for my son last week, and same thing. Im asking how others deal with certain issues, as in miscommunication, messages not getting relayed for days, ect.
I will ask him when he calls if he would llike me to come in for an appt, I have no problem with that. Its driving in the car the 9 hours, and Im already in a really bad spot pain wise.
xoxoxox,
IZZY'S,MOM

Old 05-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I'm starting to experience this too.

I used to be able to get a call back from my doc the same day, every time. No exceptions.

Now it's almost automatic that his nurse will call me first wanting to screen the call, find out what's up and try to handle things so as not to bother the doc. And I love his nurse. We get along very well. In fact, the whole staff is marvelous - never any problems. Except, regardless of who it is, they cannot relay the message the way I want it relayed. It's just too easy to misunderstand, or not understand at all. I call very rarely, and when I do I want to speak with the doc directly. From where I sit, that doesn't seem to be such a difficult request. But I know the doc is getting busier and busier all the time. I see it when I do go in. So I kinda understand. Now I just tell the nurse that it's personal and the doc had requested that I call him regarding the matter (even if it isn't true). That's how I get him to call me. Because he's so busy, and can't really recall if I'm telling the truth or not, he gives me the benefit of the doubt. So, I manipulate the system a little bit. Doesn't make me feel too badly.

steve

Old 05-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Izzy is it possible to email him directly. Since he is so far away maybe he would be willing to consider this. I have the flexibility to email my doctor and I love it.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I really wish I could do this.

In fact, when I see him this Friday I'm going to ask him about it.

steve

Old 05-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Since I said it was regarding my patches, I wouldnt be surprised if ai get a script in the mail tomorrow for them, and thats not what I wanted at all. I think Ill make an appt. Id rather drive there and talk to him face to face than to risk my PM being taken away by a crabby receptionist who acts like his grandmother. Like I said I have always reached him on his cell, and hes never cared, but since hes so much busier I try to not bother him. ill let it go for a day or so, then if I dont hear back Ill call him on his cell and ask if hed like to have me make an appt. Ill tell him I need to go over some things with him, and he will most likely ask me if its something we can discuss over the phone. It would save a painful trip.
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 05-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Then, if it's him that suggests the phone mode I'd go for it. Ask him if he's busy and such. If so, ask him when you could call back so you could get his undivided attention and the call could be relaxing for you both.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm telling you what to do. I don't mean to be that way - just reacting to your request for ideas.

steve

Old 05-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

I wish all doctors would go with the email idea. Then you could get your point across clearly. I used to have a problem calling for refills. Invariably the receptionist would get the dosage or something wrong and the nurse would call and I would have to explain myself again and by this time 5 hours have gone by. Now when I call for refills they send me right to the nurse.

I would definitely make the drive to see him. My doc won't ever discuss changing meds over the phone, unless it's something we've already agreed upon in a previous appointment.

I have a problem with my kid's doc. He is the greatest but his main nurse who has been there for the last 10 years is a problem. Whenever I have a question or problem, and it doesn't matter what it is, her answer is always opposite of the answer I finally get from the doc! Usually the conversation is ..."Oh no he won't ever do _____. " I don't even listen to her anymore and just ask her to pass along the message and hope that's it's a MA that calls me back.

Anyway, good luck and take care.~Mush

Old 05-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

I haven't had this problem with my PM. In 7 years, I have never had a problem getting a message to him or having him call me back. If he is in the office, it is always the same day. I do have this problem with my Primary's office and it has caused some major anxiety for me. So now I just ask the switchboard to page his private (or personal) nurse and if she does not answer the page, I will wait and do it again later. She is the only one that I have found that I can rely on.

Closed Thread