It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User
Soma-what to expect

Hi all,

My PM doc just switched me from Flexeril 10 mg 3x daily to Soma 250mg 2 times daily. If you take this, can you tell me what to expect? I have severe muscle spasms in my right leg (which is numb) but the spasm turns my foot inward or outward depending on the position it is in at the time. So far, nothing has worked to control it and it is quite painful when that happens.

I'm having some reservations about this PM doc. My old one was part of Mayo and he moved away and recommended this guy. The new one took me off of Oxycodone 5mg every 4 hours as needed and placed me on MS Contin 30mg 2x daily. It worked wonderfully at first but now 8 months later my pain level has increased so much. He won't give me anything for breakthrough pain either. He was going to increase the morphine but decided not to do that either. He put me on Neurontin earlier in the year but that isn't working either so I am going to stop taking it. The only thing that has done for me is make me gain 15 lbs. As does the Flexeril. Makes my sweet tooth out of control. Sooo, what is one to do when a doc won't listen? He wants to keep doing injections injections injections. A few have helped, most have not. I'd rather go back to the oxycodone if he is going to let me just suffer. I just don't understand why he won't give me something for breakthrough pain. He does the scripts strange too. He will give me 56 instead of 60 and I have to go in every month for refill scripts.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm starting to get very depressed and angry all at the same time. I'm going back to work in 2 weeks after being off for 2 yrs 4 months due to PLIF in May 06 which is the reason I have all of these new symptoms in the first place. Just to give you a bit of history. I'm excited to get back to work but scared too. New job, old body. I don't even know if I can work physically but I am sure going to try. At least it is a desk job and I can bring my heating pad.

Hope you all have a pain free holiday weekend.

Sincerely,
Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
(male)

chiefan58 HB User
Re: Soma-what to expect

soma was the only thing that seemed to do anything for my pain when I had gout outbreaks. flexeril seemed to make me extremely drowsy, and that didn't happen to me with the soma. I found it to be stronger, but everything effects everyone differently. good luck

Old 05-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hi Lisa, I have also found Soma to be a much better MR thn any I have taken. And I've taken them all over the last 8 years. It may make you a little drowsy or woozy feeling in the beginning, but this generally dissipates with use.

I'm sorry your PM is being so vehement about not giving you BT meds. Some docs just think that the LA meds should do the job on their own. Sadly, for most chronic patients, that isn't true.

Are there any other PM's in your area? My heart goes out to all of the follks who have PM's that don't listen to what works and what doesn't.

I wish you the best with your new job. I think the Soma will help, because it is a little different than the rest. It works very much in the same way as opiates/opioids, in that it attaches to the same pain receptors as they do.

Take care and let us know if it helps. CMP

Old 05-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User

Thank you so much for your responses. I started the soma last night and took dose 2 this morning. I am tired today/lazy tired but I think that is just because I can be. Nothing planned today but the remainder of the long weekend is pretty busy. I stopped the neurontin yesterday too so I didn't want to do anything or go anywhere until I knew how I would react to the new meds and in the event I had any withdrawal symptoms from stopping the meds without weaning down. I discussed it with the pharmacist first and he didn't think I would have any problems cold turkey since I wasn't on them very long, nor was I on a big dose.

There are lots of PM's in the area but I am not really in a position to seek out a new one while starting a new job. That will give me plenty of time to do some research on the others though and of course if pain dictates, I will find one right away!!!

Thanks again!
Lisa

Old 05-24-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I cannot take the flexeril - it knocks me out for the count. I use soma and have found if I take 1/2 it works pretty decent for me. If I take a full one it knocks me out for 8 hours or so. Good luck

Old 05-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User

Hi Diet,

llincoln here. You probably heard I changed my screen name but it is still me . So far coming off of the flexeril has given me quite a bit more energy I have to admit. I took it for so long, I really didn't have too many problems with it other than so tired all of the time. The soma isn't really working yet but I'm not giving up this soon. It is giving me such a terrible stomach ache though. Seems worse at night. I don't eat with it in the a.m. and it says to eat with it if it bothers your stomach. I take it at night before bed and it just seems to really bother me all night long. Still food in my stomach at that point so I don't know.... My mother said to try some gas x with it as it feels like trapped air. I also came off of the neurontin. My spasms in my foot are worse but they have been for a while. The doc had upped the neurontin last month but it didn't help with anything but weight gain. All this extra weight can't be helping anything that's for sure. My new job is in 2 weeks and I am so anxious about it, plus I have to have a bone marrow biopsy this Friday so I am apparently still falling apart but trying to get back to a functioning member of society at the same time. I am having spouse issues in that he truly doesn't think I am anywhere near the pain I am in. Oh to have them live in our shoes for a day much less longer. My PM doc doesn't remember anything I say to him or what he says to me from one visit to the next. That is really really starting to PMO. Nothing nicer to say about that. I miss my old one, unfortunately he moved away. I hope today is a better day for you my friend.

Sincerely,
Lisa

Old 05-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty6 View Post
The soma isn't really working yet but I'm not giving up this soon. It is giving me such a terrible stomach ache though.

You might consider eating yogurt or taking it with ice cream. You need to coat your stomach. You also might consider taking it 1 hour before bed so that you are in the upright position for awhile before lying down right after taking it.

My new job is in 2 weeks and I am so anxious about it,

Congratulations. Spinney's that work full time amaze me. You are an inspiration to me. There is no way I could do it at this point.

plus I have to have a bone marrow biopsy this Friday

I am sorry and pray that everything is okay. This does not sound good. Please keep us posted. I do care. (((HUGS))))

I am having spouse issues in that he truly doesn't think I am anywhere near the pain I am in. Oh to have them live in our shoes for a day much less longer.

I am so sorry. I am blessed my hubby is very understanding and I truly FEEL for anyone that does not have this support.

Lincoln, you sound like you are going thru a rough patch and I just want to say that I am here anytime you want to chat. Just direct me to what board and I will be there. You have been so supportive of me and my journey that I would love to return the favor to you anytime. Hugs and prayers are being lifted up for you.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi Lisa,

I think Soma is considered 'stronger' than flexaril, for one thing, Soma is a narcotic and can be addictive, but many people find it very helpful.

My doctor doesnt believe in breakthrough meds either, If I were you I would ask him point blank either to give some breakthrough meds or up your long acting. You might try asking him how long he wants you to be at a dose before he would consider upping it, some doctors have a set amount of time in mind, but they dont think to share it with us, they just say no until they think its the magical time, and then raise it, it would probably at least make you feel better if he says something like, 'lets keep it where it is for 2 more months, and then if its not better, increase your dose', then you know it wont be a forever thing.

If you have a lot of spasms and the soma isnt helping, you might want to try baclofen, I switched to that for that reason and it stopped my spasms completely.

Good luck!
Fabby

Old 05-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User

Diet,
You are so sweet. Thank you so much for your support. you are right, I am going through a rough patch right now. I am a bit down in the dumps but I am trying so hard not to be. I have so many positive things I am trying to focus on but...sometimes the blues take hold anyway. Luckily it doesn't usually last longer than a few days for the most part. I think the biggest reason is trying to start working again in this pain. I haven't worked in over 2years now so I really don't know if I can physically do it. Getting out of bed is an issue itself sometimes and then I only do because it hurts too bad to stay in it ha ha. Oh the joys. The docs have tried me on several different anit depressents through the years but all of them make me worse so I am a poor candidate. My body is reacting so strangely to meds in the last several years.

Fabby,

Thank you for the wonderful advice. When all else fails, fresh tactics! I plan to research the med you mentioned as well as the spasms are the worst of my leg pain aside from the sciatica. After my back surgery in 2006 I had immediate charlie horse in the right leg behind the knee. PT helped to stretch it back out but it still bothers me from time to time. Approx a year ago my leg went numb from my knee to toes & bottom of the foot. A few months later the spasms started. Then about 4 months ago my right tushie went numb but I can't get anyone to get to the bottom of it. Sure I had an MRI but nothing is showing up. But, if this stuff is happening, something is clearly going on!!

Thanks again everyone. Your support means so much to me. If I hadn't stumbled onto this site in the wee hours of the morning one day, who knows where I would be right now.

Stay safe and sweet.

Love,
Lisa

Old 05-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Lisa, keep posting if you are down. Right now I am going thru a rough patch to and to be honest this board is helping me keep it together. Everyone is so kind.

Is the soma helping you?

Good luck with working. You are very brave to give it a try. You never know it might be the best thing for you. I am sure in the beginning it will be very tiring and hard for you; however, I will pray that you once you get thru the first couple of weeks it will get easier for you.

May I ask, have you tried the stim implant or even considered it?

Last edited by ms_west; 05-28-2008 at 02:49 PM.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:19 PM   #11
(female)

speciality HB User
Smile Re: Soma-what to expect

Quote:
Hi all,

My PM doc just switched me from Flexeril 10 mg 3x daily to Soma 250mg 2 times daily. If you take this, can you tell me what to expect? I have severe muscle spasms in my right leg (which is numb) but the spasm turns my foot inward or outward depending on the position it is in at the time. So far, nothing has worked to control it and it is quite painful when that happens.

I'm having some reservations about this PM doc. My old one was part of Mayo and he moved away and recommended this guy. The new one took me off of Oxycodone 5mg every 4 hours as needed and placed me on MS Contin 30mg 2x daily. It worked wonderfully at first but now 8 months later my pain level has increased so much. He won't give me anything for breakthrough pain either. He was going to increase the morphine but decided not to do that either. He put me on Neurontin earlier in the year but that isn't working either so I am going to stop taking it. The only thing that has done for me is make me gain 15 lbs. As does the Flexeril. Makes my sweet tooth out of control. Sooo, what is one to do when a doc won't listen? He wants to keep doing injections injections injections. A few have helped, most have not. I'd rather go back to the oxycodone if he is going to let me just suffer. I just don't understand why he won't give me something for breakthrough pain. He does the scripts strange too. He will give me 56 instead of 60 and I have to go in every month for refill scripts.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm starting to get very depressed and angry all at the same time. I'm going back to work in 2 weeks after being off for 2 yrs 4 months due to PLIF in May 06 which is the reason I have all of these new symptoms in the first place. Just to give you a bit of history. I'm excited to get back to work but scared too. New job, old body. I don't even know if I can work physically but I am sure going to try. At least it is a desk job and I can bring my heating pad.

Hope you all have a pain free holiday weekend.

Sincerely,
Lisa
HiLisa, Soma really helped my spasms in comparison to flexeril. The downside for me (as all meds do have down sides) It made me VERY relaxed, and kind of off balance. I felt kind of drunk, but very relaxed, and it helped with spasms MUCH btter than the flexeril. Also, I found myself with insomnia while on flexeril, after some detective work, I found out flexeril is known to cause severe insomni in some people after a few days of consistent use. It is a rebound effect. That is why flexeil is not ecommended for long term use, if you read the package insert. Try the dosage the Dr suggested, if you are too sleepy/relaxed it is ok to cut them in half (My Dr. told me this). Anyway, used judiciously I feel it works well. Good Luck. Be careful driving until you see how it affects you, as we are all different!

Old 05-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #12
(female)

speciality HB User
Wink Re: Soma-what to expect

Quote:
Thank you so much for your responses. I started the soma last night and took dose 2 this morning. I am tired today/lazy tired but I think that is just because I can be. Nothing planned today but the remainder of the long weekend is pretty busy. I stopped the neurontin yesterday too so I didn't want to do anything or go anywhere until I knew how I would react to the new meds and in the event I had any withdrawal symptoms from stopping the meds without weaning down. I discussed it with the pharmacist first and he didn't think I would have any problems cold turkey since I wasn't on them very long, nor was I on a big dose.

There are lots of PM's in the area but I am not really in a position to seek out a new one while starting a new job. That will give me plenty of time to do some research on the others though and of course if pain dictates, I will find one right away!!!

Thanks again!
Lisa
Hi Lisa, I think your nasueau (sp) is from stopping the Nuerontin. I suggest you read up on W/D symptoms from stopping Nuerontin, they can include depression, nauseau and a host of other problems. It should be tapered, not stopped cold turkey. Please look it up.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User

Hi Diet! I hope today is a better day. I'm getting ready to read your new post after this reply. I was looking for the medicine Fabby suggested as my mother wants to discuss it with a friend of hers that has Fribromyalgia and has tried nearly everything in the book. So far, the soma doesn't seem to be helping me out. I've only been on it a week and other than the nausea, I haven't had any side effects aside from insomnia. I don't mind that so much right now because I slept a minimum of 12 hours unless I had to get up for something, on the Flexeril. The pain has been unbearable to say the least, both with my back and leg. Usually it is one or the other, not usually both since getting some injections anyway. Last year I had the spinal cord stimulator trial and really had a rough time of it. They surgically attached the leads during the trial and I was in so much pain it was crazy. I had to go in every day to have the thing adjusted and they never got it right. Finally on the final day the rep from the company asked me where it was working and I told him my upper abs and he then asked if it were in the same place on my back, would that be right to which I replied no, you would need to come down about 4 inches and to the right about 3 inches. He was so excited I gave him those specifics and that he had never gotten a response to pinpoint the location so well. Unfortunately when I went for all of the pre surgery appointments it was detected that I had a urinary tract infection while on antibiotics so they had to remove everything. They claim that with an existing infection, my body would attack the implant as a foreign invader and cause me big problems. Due to all of the complications I had with the trial, My then PM doc said he wouldn't put me through that again. Plus I have this nice 9 inch scar now for nothing. It was about 4 with the trial but when all was said and done, it was so much bigger. Noone will explain that one to me. My new PM doc wants me to seriously consider it again, so I did but I just can't go through that again, at least not yet. So, I told him that on my last visit and he acted like he never brought it up. I was so angry when I left. At least I know that is an option down the road. I see that Shawley has been having some problems lately so I spoke to him about it and he assured me it wasn't due to SCS failure and that it was still working great so that is a relief.

Specialty, how interesting about the neurontin. I did look online, asked the pharmacist etc and found nothing. Today, it was all there in black and white. I have had all of the withdrawal symptoms of it as well EXCEPT for seizures thank the lord. I can't believe the pharmacist didn't tell me that. They did tell me there are precautions but the level I was taking wouldn't be a problem. I did the one day wean down only. I do have to say that my stomach feels much better so far today. I cannot tell you how awful it has felt and I can't believe my own research was so useless. I suppose I didn't use the actual "stopping Neurontin" and looked under the medicine guideline itself. I am not new at this computer thing so I feel very lucky that I didn't have worse. I haven't had any of the effects you mentioned with the soma. So far, I haven't noticed it helping either. Especially from around 4 pm until I take the dose at 10pm. If this other was truly side effects from the Neurontin then maybe I will see an improvement with the Soma. I've only taken it a week and I know some meds take a while before they work properly. Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Lisa

Old 05-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

Geez Lisa...I must be out in my own little world lately. I am soooo sorry that I didn't see this post over the weekend...I'm not sure where my brain is anymore... I feel badly that you are having such pain and problems with the PM Dr. What a jerk...I really think that some of these PM Drs. are just too much..(mine especially...).. Why would we tell them we are still having pain, or the meds. are not working, and they just ignore us..or tell us, oh sorry, I won't give you anything else, and we just don't know why. Wish I could slam one of their heads in the door for a couple of min. then ask them if they would like an asprin. I am angry for you. The weight gain, well, what can I say. I am gaining weight on a diet....YES, on a diet. This is so not right. I will have to pack these clothes away soon, if it doesn't stop. I am running out of boxes to pack clothes in!!!!! Have a couple of really, really, really, nice outfits...same size you wear...floaty & comfy...haven't even worn them...darn...and don't think they are going to fit me... Wish I could send them to you!!!! The job is a good thing...gets you out into the real world again...and bad, cause you have to function, even if you are not up to it. I
hope it works out for you....
I am worried about the biopsy tomorrow....I will be waiting to hear how you make out... Hope it goes well for you... Have to run right now....
will be thinking of you tomorrow...

Leslie

Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Lincoln, what brand did you have implanted?

Good luck tomorrow. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Closed Thread