It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
What's most important questions when choosing Your PM doc

As most of you know I am going to have to choose a PM tommorrow.
So what are the most important questions to ask when choosing?
More important, how do I ask if that particulair PM prescribes pain meds with out looking like a drug seeker?
Two of the PMs have web sites so I already researched on their sites.
I have a big decision to make here. I know those of you who are in PM know how important it is to choose wisely. In one way I am happy to finally have a doctor who will be there to help this pain, then I am nervous as all heck & feel this will be one of the most important decisions I make.
I know I have to get into one fast & hate to think I will have to choose the one who can get me in asap but I may have to do that. I am hoping that one of the two doctors I have been seeing will help me to get in. I left a message with the osteo & hope she will call, she did mention one of the PMs she knows is really compassionate & that is what I want, I am sick of dealing with doctors who don't care that your in pain. I believe he may be a anasth. but I can't remember which one he is because she recommended three. On the other hand my husband is calling the surgeon tommorrow to see if he wont give me anything to help the pain then if he will help me get into PM ASAP. I may have to go to who ever he gets me into.
So please in your experiance or opinions what are the most important question or considerations when choosing a PM doctor? We all know we have to talk to receiptions when calling, would it be unreasonable to ask if the PM doc. has experiance in dealing with the myofascial issues?
Thanks, Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 06-01-2008 at 05:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: What's most important questions when choosing Your PM doc

Sammy. It's really hard to know if a particular doc is willing to prescibe or not. And to ask up front isn't always a good idea, as it tends to make some a little skittish. (especiallly front desk people) They just tend to assume you are a possible drug seeker. A large local chain pharmacy may be a better choice to ask something like that.

If you do ask a pharmacy, first ask to speak with the pharmacist, not the tech. Then, explain that you have run the gamit of treatments with your surgeon and that although there may be other modalities that a new PM doc could offer, you are already taking opiates/opioids long term and would prefer not to go to a new doc, only to have them pull you off meds cold turkey. (Not to mention, they have helped you) The pharmacist should understand your fears regarding W/D, and be able to tell you which doc/docs that he/she sees Rx'ing for their patients.

It is absolutely a valid question to ask if a particular pain doc is familiar with and/or treats others with CMP. The front desk may not know for sure, but the doc's nurse may be able to answer your question. It is a large part of your overall diagnosis, and you need to know you will have a doc who is familiar with it.

I can only say that even with all of the info you gather, the first doc may not be a perfect fit for you. This is something you can really only know after you've seen one. Just because the osteo said this physiatrist is into natural methods, doesn't mean he/she is only willing to do non-med treatment. My doc does all modalities. Meds and natural. It depends on what works for the patient.

Best of luck with everything. You know I'm pulling for you. I am really praying that this surgeon will man up and continue to prescribe for you until you find the right PM doc. God Bless, CMP/MM

Old 06-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

All I can say Sammy is good luck. There is no magic wand to help you find a good doctor.
Fred

Old 06-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Sammy,

Make appts with as many as you wish - you can always cancel.

Here's a few questions I'd ask:

• What modes do you employ in treating chronic pain?

• What is your standard approach in treating new patients who have already been receiving treatment for chronic pain?

• If a new patient has been receiving pain meds from a GP, do you take over prescribing or do you have the GP continue to do the prescribing?

This way you don't come out and ask for pain meds, you're just showing an interest in what kind of changes you can expect. It's important for a patient to know whether "continuation of treatment" is important to a new doc.

Yu may not have to ask the first question at all. It may be covered during introductions and such. I feel the crux of the matter is found in the last two questions, and if it feels right, go straight to them. It will show the doc that it's important to at least continue with whatever has worked, if that's the case for you.

steve

Last edited by forginon; 06-01-2008 at 02:14 PM.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Sammy,

You can turn it around and ask outright, but not sound like a drug seeker. You can keep it low-key and simply ask what type of treatment modalities does this doctor use?

Or, You can say, "I don't want a doc that ONLY prescribes pain meds. I need other options as well."

Then hopefully you will hear, "Oh, this doc does prescribe pain meds, but he also offers, A, B, and C treatments as well."

I honestly feel that this is the best way to go anyway. Find a pain doc that uses meds of course, but also other things that may be able to help you. Pain management is a cumulative approach, and therefore a combination of treatments is often the moost successful. Good Luck! Keep us posted!

Your Friend,

Amanda

p.s. Call the receptionist and don't give your name. Ask if his or her mother needed a pain doc, would he or she recommend this pain doc? Might get some good inside advice!

Old 06-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I have spent the morning looking into PMs. Waiting for call backs from two, of course the two I am interested in the most. The one deals in myofascial & a variety of CP conditions. Both are Anasth.
Ruled out one based on the attitude of office staff. Extremely rude & hung up before could even finish. Ironic that is the one the surgeons office deals closely with. I know by reading the posts here how important dealing with a decent office staff can be. Had enough of that with the surgeons office. They will be giving me a letter of recommendation to PM, thank god.
Both were recommended by the Osteopathic doctor. With any luck she will call me back today & can help me get in abit sooner. So I will spend the day waiting for phone calls. Please pray with me that I choose wisely. After last night I am so looking forward to getting some relief.
Thanks Sammy

Old 06-02-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Sammy, I'm glad to hear that you are having some progress. I know it is a very frustrating process, but if you can find the right fit, it will all be worth it. Just keep in mind that you still have a couple more options, if the first PM you see isn't the one for you. You should know after your first appointment. If he/she spends a good deal of time with you and doesn't rush you through, this is a good sign.

I was happy to hear (your other thread) that you at least got new scripts from the surgeon, for now. I am slightly appalled that his instructions were to "use it wisely". How unprofessional! I'm sorry if I missed something, but did your husband call them? If so, I'm just curious to know what he said.

I don't want to be a downer about this, but just keep in mind that this is a process. It may take kissing a few more frogs, before you find the prince. I just don't want you to put all of your eggs in one basket. (could I get any more cliche, in one paragraph?) There are as many different docs out there as there are patients. I hope and pray that this is the one, after all you've been through. Hang in there. I am saying some extra prayers for you today. Please let us know what happens. God Bless, CMP/MM

Old 06-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am not used to having to closely related threads going at once, so forgive me if I am repeating myself. Surgeons office called on their own. I am kind of glad giving the sleepless night my husband had with me (ha), he is probably not in a good frame of mind. This has been hard for all the family, one thing after another. I am thankful god gave me the strength to get through the weekend with a housefull of teenage girls. Hard to stop being the koolaide mom when I have done so all my kids lives.
I have narrowed it down to 2 & waiting for one more call. The first quesiton I have been asking is if they deal with myofascial pain? The second is what is the next available appointment? Both have web sites going into some of there education & treatments. I just hope I make the right choice.
The one I can get into possably as soon as next week. Of course I am nervous. I need a crash course on myofascial disease/ damage.
One office said they use the trigger point injections for it. Well that did not work for the shoulder,but I did get some that got rid of a headache that was caused through PT.
I keep thinking this doctor is going to determine how my future goes as far as pain control, I want to work again at least parttime, I want to be able to do things with my family, I even want to scrub my tubs! Yes I am desperate.
I want to ride my bike & do my garden... Is this unrealalistic?
Most of all, I want to be able to stop being afraid to live my life & just breathe literally! God, I lay in bed at night & think about all those things.
I laughed with the kids yesturday & sang some oldies, it felt so good. Then after going to bed I laid & cried in pain & naseua, what a mess. I keep thinking it could be worse, I miss my sisterinlaw who passed on, she was 2yrs older then me, I have no right to have selfpity, but its hard. For us all I am sure. It just does not seem real, you know? everyday, all day pain. Dang I just am struggling to accept this. I will have to get used to this with the grace of god.
Since I am ADHD I often god has a bit of a twisted sense of humor. Gives me all this excess energy & then limits my ability to use it, but then he led me to you all, so I would not be alone. Please pray I make a good choice. Sammy

Old 06-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

Sammy most GP'S Dr's know who prescribes narcotics and who doesn't. When I was being referred to PM My GP he new excactly which Dr would treat me with narcotics so that took care of that. I wouldn't waste your time with a PM that isn't going to give you what you are looking for. You have CP and obviously by the sound of all your desperate posts, you need your percocets to function so cut to the chase and don't waste your time on a DR who will not prescribe. your surgeon is so rotten to have cut you off cold turkey, I would be morrtified and beyound upset. you can also ask your pharmacist. they KNOW which pain Dr's prescribe and which ones don't go to your pharmacy where they know you and ask them to look at your history so they no you are not someone off the street trying to find pills, tell the pharmacist what happened to you so they have compassion for you and will give you hopefully several names. it is not a good idea to call a PM'S office and ask if they prescribe, it might make the front desk girls leary of you and they will put your apt off.. I know it sounds a little like your seeking but you and I and the fence post know you ARE NOT a seeker you are only looking for pain relief as that is what you need to function so just find out before you make an apt. you have very little time now since you have to milk your pills until you run out so I would get busy and start asking who prescribes so your not sitting around in agony and being miserable. how many percs did you get? are we talking about 30 or more like 90 so you have time to find a Dr. it ususally takes weeks to months to get into a good PM so I hope you have enough meds to last you.

SS

Old 06-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

Sammy don't pray or just hope the Dr prescribes. find out. okay? use the tools I gave you, ask your GP and your pharmacist. you have no time to wait and see and guess if the Dr will give you pain meds. you need to know if they prescribe. Even if they do prescribe it is no gaurentee they will to you, but your chances are better if you know up front if they believe in pain meds as 3 PM Docs in my area do not prescribe period how would you like to end up in there office. NOT... good luck!!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

Sorry to keep posting but I did ask my pharmacist this question when my PM Dr went belly up and he gave me the name of 2 DR'S that do prescribe pain meds so it worked and he was very nice about it, I explained what happened and he gave me names of Dr's. thankfully my GP took care of it but a pharmacist knows all.... hang in there.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Sammy, I know this may not be what you want to hear right now, but I'm going to stick my neck out for a minute. There is a difference between being hopeful and being realistic. My PM asked me what I expected from him when I went for my first appointment. I told him that because I had been living a life with constant pain and hadn't been able to do even the most basic of daily tasks, that all I could expect from him was the best he could do to help me get to the best place possible.

My doc told me he was quite relieved that I didn't expect a miracle from him. I know he would have felt very much "on the spot" if I had told him that I wanted to be the "old" me. I just want you to be careful how you word things with this potential doc. I am not saying that you can never have some of the things that you had before.....just that it may be a trial and error type of thing. It's kind of like reprioritizing your life. What is the most important thing? For me, I wanted to be able to take care of my home and family to the extent that I could. I knew that the rest was just a bonus. And I have been able to enjoy some things from my old life. I've just had to adjust the timing and frequency of things. You learn as you go.

I don't want to sound like I'm trying to discourage you. That is not my intention at all. I just want you to have the best possible experience from PM that you can. I still struggle from time to time with acceptance. I am aware that I will never be the person that I was, before chronic pain. But it doesn't mean that it isn't hard. It is definitely one day at a time. Maybe some may see my attitude toward this as fatalistic or that I have given up, but I see it more as just survival.

I hope you aren't mad at me. I am only trying to help, based on my experience. It is just my opinion and you have to make the decision that is best for you. Maybe you won't be able to do all of the physical things you used to do, but you are still the same loving, caring person that you always were. That won't change.

Take care and hang in there. You are on a better path now. Now it is just finding out where that path will lead. God Bless, CMP/MM

Old 06-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Slippery, I did let the receptionist for the new PM know that at this time I can't see myself going with out meds but I am very open to other treatments, I just do not want to suffer. I did let her know I realized how important making a good choice is & I am trying to do that. I also asked for the second time if he did deal with the myofascial, she said yes, different person then the first one I spoke to.
Since I will be going into the pharmacy I will ask that question, providing the "nice & understanding one is in". What do I have to loose.
cmp, No I am not angry with you, what I say here is what I dream of, trust me when I say it is not necessarily what I will say to a PM doc.
I do know I will never be able to do some of the things I use to, I know for example part of my career is over, never will I lift again, at home or work. I also know I won't ever be able to be as I was. Like you I will take what I can get, but I will hope. I know if I get more then I have now I will at least gain something & that is better then nothing.
The receptionist told me this PM is super strict but is very good. I don't have problem with being strict as long as I dont have to suffer, & that is what I told her. The receptionist did mention him being super strict twice, since I have always followed the "rules" I don't have a problem but gee I hope he is not one of those who does not listen. She said he really takes his time, especially the first appointment.
The other PM is not in network with insurance, he was & is trying to get back into taking it, but it can take up to a year for that, they are not sure when he will be back in network. I will keep calling if I am not happy with the the other PM. She pretty much verified what the osteo said he is a favorite with his patients because he is compassionate & works hard with them. If I just needed to be on meds I could do it, he has a set rate for patients out of network, but for the other procedures it will be to costly. I will double check with my insurance just to be sure. He does sound like he would be a good PM. I will have to see how the appointment goes monday.
I am nervous.... Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 06-02-2008 at 01:45 PM.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Sammy it is normal to be nervous and emotional. The unknown and waiting is hard to deal with. And you are correct, this is hard on the entire family and it sounds like you are one of the lucky ones because your hubby is by your side supporting you.

I love the idea that the doctor is strict. It sounds like he has very clear expectations of his patients and expects them to do their part. Some people would be happy to just take pills and not do anything else. He might be like Execs pm and expect you to do exercise everyday. I believe it was Execs.

If he is strict, he probably has a pretty lengthy contract with everything clearly spelled out so there is no room for confusion.

I am so happy -- it sounds like everything is coming together for you.

Last edited by ms_west; 06-02-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

sammy that is awesome that you CAN get in so quickly. I am so happy for you. and that is great the Dr is strict. my PM was to but he still got shut down and the reason he got shut down was for im proper record keeping but he was REALLY strict on his PM refills and monitored things closely. so I think all PM'S are subject to being shut down. mine was not shut down by the DEA but by the hospital that ran them.

I am sure that everything will be fine and that you will get some good pain relief.. I am glad this has happened in a way b/c your surgeon has been giving you a hard time for to long now and he sounds like a real creep. good luck!!!!

SS

Closed Thread