It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User
Anyone have severe tendonitis? What do you take?

Hi all,

In addition to my nerve pain, this tendonitis in my right arm is just killing me. I've been going to physical therapy for 9 weeks and still suffering greatly. The doctor has given me Ultram ER (gave me insomnia), Relafen (also gave me insomnia), and Daypro (didn't seem to help much and gave me nausea and diarrhea).

The only thing that has been helping the pain is some Vicodin I had left over from a previous injury.

Is it unreasonable to ask for this type of medication to relieve my tendonitis pain? Are there any NSAIDs that are effective?

What do you take/have taken in the past for long-term injuries that keep you in pain? I am taking Neurontin right now for the nerve pain, and I know I will need the dosage increased (from my current once a day, 600 mg) because the pain is breaking through, big time. But I need relief from this other pain, too.

Help!! I go to the doctor on Thursday and want to be able to suggest or reject things....so your advice is really desired and appreciated.

Tex

Old 06-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User
Re: Anyone have severe tendonitis? What do you take?

Yes, I suffer from severe tendonitis in the left wrist, and that began 5 years ago, when I had my first son, and it has been here since, off and on. It flares up and last a couple of days it is horrible.

Then I have had migraines my whole life, and I have had tmj for 7 years. I had a dentist diagnosed me with temporal tendonitis of the tmj, and he believes that is what has caused my migraines, or extreme pain behind my left eyeball. The pain is debilitating, and has made me disabled, I cannot drive the pain is so bad, and I never know when an attack is going to come on. Everyday is unpredictable, and I can not drive longer than 10 minutes from the house.

What works for me? Ibuprofen, (I take vicoprofen, I am a chronic pain patient now, since Sept 07) and muscle relaxants (flexeril, diazepam). I also have fibromyalgia and myfascial pain syndrome, so unfortunately pain is part of my day everyday. The muscle relaxants help a lot especially for the temporal tendonitis, and relaxing the facial muscles. I have to say I am tired of the left wrist tendonitis, it is always there, lingering, ready to flare up.

I would like to know what works for other people, and if the tendonitis stays, is there a surgical solution?

I hope I helped somewhat, and asked some more questions too?

Kassandra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2008, 04:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Tex, That is one of the things I had going in the shoulder, bursitis/tendonitis/arthritis, boy does that hurt. I was on the percocet & motrin, steroids , injections but nothing lasted to long for that pain. It just hurts. I feel for you & I think I have it starting in the shoulder. I hope something works for you. Good luck, Sammy

Old 06-04-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

Texmom I have it in my wrists. both of them. the only thing that works for mine is to get cortisone shots right into my wrist. it last about 4 months. I have to go back next week and get another as my right wrist is in a ton of pain. Have you tried a shot into your shoulder? it might help you.

SS

Old 06-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

Hi All,

Unfortunately, my doctor says I cannot have a shot for the tendonitis. This is because I had three injections back in November-January for nerve pain caused by a disk problem in my neck. Doc says it's not good to do any more until November or so....so that's not an option for me right now.

I will be asking about changing from Flexeril to something stronger, perhaps Zanaflex? I doubt he will give me any Vicodin, but they do seem to help. We'll see...

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Blessings,
Tex

Old 06-04-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Tex, I would ask for something stronger, like you said, like zanaflex, my doctors like valium too, but also I would ask about vicoprofen. It is like vicoden, a little stronger per pill, 7.5 mg of codeine, 200 mg of ibuprofen. The iboprofen will help with the inflammation too. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

Thanks, Kass, I will ask about those at my appointment tomorrow. If he doesn't give me something better, I will have to find a different doc....

Blessings,
Tex

Old 06-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Tex, I think that some type of LA and BT meds are in order for you. With all of the different types of pain you have, I can't even fathom how you've made it this far without them. IMHO, I think it may be time for a new doc as well. Nobody should have to suffer like this.

I haven't been formally diagnosed with tendonitis, but I have pretty constant pain in my shoulders and hips, especially after sitting or laying in one position for any length of time. I find that along with my meds I get some good temporary relief from things like the ThermaCare heat wraps and hot showers. I also feel so much better with some light massage in these areas. Even if it is just my hubby doing it. I also have problems with NSAID's and Cox2 Inhibitors, like Celebrex. They are murder on my stomach. I will take them very sparingly from time to time, but I also take Nexium for reflux and that helps add a little stomach protection.

I hope you can get some much needed relief from the doc on Thursday. I am sending lots of good thoughts and saying some extra prayers. Please let us know how it goes. Good luck and lots of gentle hugs, CMP/MM

Old 06-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
(female)

Clerklady HB User

Hi all,
I have read so many of this post here and this one finally hits home for me.
I am not by no way in as much pain and you all, and I do feel for each and everyone who post here trying to find relief. I have taken some wonderful advice off this board that is for sure. But I do have the same tendonitus in both arms, Carpal tunnel and nerve damage for disc issues in my neck. I do the tramdal and it helps with the nerve pain but man these elbows are something. I can hardly lift my arms to wave at people. I have been the therapy for weeks and no relief. Have tried the anitflam until I could not eat at all, bad bad stuff, but I had no pain in my elbows or else my stomach issues were to bad that I forgot about my arms....I do take valium for muscle spams but it does not help much for the arms. Wearing those wonderful braces on my hands and elbows so I can write. I will be reading about the some thing else for pain, the tramadol just does not do much of my arms. My PT has referred me to an othropedic surgeon next week so keep in touch and I will be waiting for more information. I would wave at yall but can't.
God Bless each and everyone here you are an awesome bunch of people, my heart goes out to each one of you suffering and trying to find some relief. Hang in there and God will bless you for helping others. Denise

Old 06-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Texmom,
this is such painful condition; I have since February tendinities and brosities (sp?) No matter what I do - nothing works.
They do PT ultrasound on that area (the whole arm and specially elbows), moist heat, some excercise - nothing works.
I am going soon for a steroid shot. Dr believes this is only thing may help me; he does not want this condition to be for a long time because it can destroy joint. I already noticed the way i hold my elbow and the whole arm. I can't do much with it.
boy, is this painful or what?

Good luck to you!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:42 PM   #11
(female)

kim46 HB User

My Mom and sister have both suffered from this - one had a successful (somewhat) surgery and one prefers to stay as it. She takes percocet or vicodin for pain along with Aleve and Neurontin. She loves the Neurontin the best.
Good luck at your visit.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I have severe tendonitits in both elbows. (Tennis Elbow) One has a tear and needs surgery. That is in addition to my Failed Back Surgery Syndrome. The only thing that gave me any kind of relief was wearing the Lidoderm patches with the elbow brace. Only thing that took the edge off. I'm on heavy duty pain meds for my back and for some reason it does not help the elbow pain at all. A Cortisone shot did help at one time too. Not long term though.

Last edited by hessie28; 06-05-2008 at 12:11 PM.

Closed Thread