It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Appt With My Doc Tomorrow~wish Me Luck

Hi everyone,
Sorry I havent posted...Ive been really sick and hurting. I posted that my doc gave me a script for the oxycontin 10 mg. well I had a reaction to it, after 2 doses and the pharmacist told me to D/C it. so all I had was 50 vicoprofen to last me until tomorrow. I filled it on the 28th. I ran out today, and I called my doc yesterday to tell him Id need a refill or just a few to get to the appt tomorrow, its an 9 hour round trip drive. I called at 4 pm yesterday, Wed. and the nurse called me back and asked what I needed. I explained everything to her. She said..."Im going to put your number on his chair, he just walked out of his office but he will call you back. Maybe you can expolain it to him." she is really sweet. No call back on Wed.
I call at 10 am today. They say they will give the message to his nurse. My hubby finally calls at 2pm and they say they will give him the message. Its now 6;30 and no call. And I dont expect one. I have to leave before the pharmacies open anyway tomorrow am.
What do you think is up? I didnt want to call the doc last week after all of the fiasco, telling him the meds didnt work, so I just took my vicoprofen. After being on 12mg patch 15 mg LA Hrdo 4Xdaily, and 40 mg of hydro daily for b/t I was taking 8 of my vicoprofen and it wasnt doing anything for me. I took them at 6 am, 12 noon 6 pm and12 am. I started taking them on the day I filled my script that noon. I could have saved, but I had a refill and I figured he would ook an early one if I explained what happened. They were my b/t meds, initially.
What would you be saying tomorrow at the appt, and what can hubby do also? This will be the first time he has gone with me in 2 years. Also this is the 2nd time that I havent gotten any call backs from him when I lv messages with the front desk. Im terrified something else is up, but Im always that way...
Also, when my right arm is in the position like im holding a cup of water,, with my fist about under my breast and move it backand forth I can hear popping. Also if I raise my hand up to my ear,and move my elbow back I hear the same thing and its excruciating... I have always had this, and thats where the pain is, my scapula. Whenever I tell the doc this, he says its from my neck and the discs are compressed. I dont understand how that can be. Im really not happy going all the way down there to see him with no call back at all, and I feel like he may not know what is going on...
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 06-05-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Appt With My Doc Tomorrow~wish Me Luck

Oh Izzy.....The web we weave......You've certainly had your share of bad luck lately!

Ok....Here's what I think:

I think the Doc didn't call you back because that's his protocol....I read enough of your "situations" where he hasn't called you back. A couple of times, he said he didn't get the messages....Maybe so, but probably not. He seems like a disorganized, fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants-guy. That doesn't mean he's a bad Doc, but just one that you won't be able to reach very often. Or, he could be the type of Doc who doesn't call patients back unless they are true emergencies....Maybe he's trying to send a subtle message that these little emergencies won't be responded to. After all, all the literature on abuse & diversion says last minute / end of day calls are the # 1 sign of drug seeking....I'm not saying you are, but what it could appear as. Given all of the above, I'd try to get myself to a place where I didn't have to rely on calling him anymore....I.e. get my monthly meds organized as best you can.

Re: your appointment, I would just tell the Doc that you followed the pharmacist's orders and stopped the meds. I would also tell him that you have felt bad for bothering him, thus, you didn't call him initially about the discontinuation and thought you could get by on your hydros....But, as it turned out, you couldn't and that's why you called. Tell him you didn't realize how powerful the patch must have been because once off it (and OC), you blew through all the hydros. I would take him your left over OCs as a token of good faith and give them to him.

Moving forward, please beware that he may surmise that you have a allergic reaction to Oxycodone. When you say you "had a reaction"....What exactly happened? I think we need to get this straightened out before your appt because he may make a quick decision based on a few comments....And, that could effect your meds forever moving forward.

Do you have any meds left? You weren't very clear. Do you have any patches left? How about the emergency scripts?

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 06-05-2008 at 06:30 PM.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Oh, Ex...Ive been refreshing HOPING you would reply.
Ok, the reaction was vomiting, itching, felt like I couldnt breathe...
Also I still have the patch scripts, but my oxy meds are not with me...They are in my other stuff 8 hours away on the OTHER side of the state... we came home for the appt with him as we had been on vacation with my son's ex inlaws. Also we have had construction going on at our home, and had some problems with one of the contractors who wasnt supposed to be working while we were gone, its a huge mess. I have so much on my mind as well, and dont need this crap. I didnt think about bringing them, and we are going straight back to that location after the appt. Its on the way back. I didnt even bring any of my things back with me, b/c I knew id be going back to or vacation destination tomorrow.
Where we have been all week is 6 hours to the north east of him...Then we drove home straight west 10 hours, and on the way back, we are going thru to see him.

Yes it is a tangled web. Also when something doesnt work out med wise in the last two years he tells me to just flush them. I didnt the OC's though. I guess I could always offer to send them to him.
Also? I think you are right about him sending me the message...Ive been feeling that all day. But I called Yesterday. And today in the morning. I dont know what to think...
Hubby wants me to find someone else. He said that even if the doc is trying to send a message, he could at least call. Driving all that way tomorrow and having him give me bad news would really be bad. Plus I have had horrible upper GI stuff. His ex partner told me 3 weeks ago that I have a hy. hernia. she pushed it back down, but its been back full force for the last two weeks.

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 06-05-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Ok....Lets calm down a bit....I don't think he will turn you away. In fact, just the opposite....He'll charm you like he always has...And you'll charm him....You two seem to work well together. After all, this is a Doc who had you come by his house to get your script. I think he just doesn't like to handle things on the phone and by him not calling you back, he is saying indirectly "don't call and work it out." I could be wrong.

With that being said, let's talk details:

The OC made you vomit and itch. Sounds like an OD, but really couldn't be because your dose was so low. After all, 10mg of OC is nothing more than a Percocet (except that it's time release). You have done well on Oxycodone before right? The only other thing I can come up with is a reaction to one of the additives, but that would be a unusual thing. Could it be that it was just coincidence? Could you of had food poisoning or a flu bug? The itching definitely sounds like some type of reaction, but then again, many "itch" from narcotics.

How long did you have the patch off before you took the OC? Or did you still have it on? When was the last time you took Oxycodone? Any issues then?

Lets figure this out.

Ex

Old 06-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZY'SMOM View Post
Hubby wants me to find someone else.
I don't mean to be crass, but you have to be careful what you wish for....You might get it! Please don't take this wrong, but if you go see a new PM Doc....Most are very strict, especially with new patients....You have lots of things going on and are on the move a lot, with lots of stuff that pops up....I'm not sure it's a great "fit" for you @ this point. This Doc has been GREAT to you....I know there have been some issues, but you readily admit, some have been to your own doing. Again, please don't take that the wrong way....You have a very demanding lifestyle.

I think I would go see this Doc with as positive attitude as you can. Try to come up with a new plan and implement it. Also, try to do whatever you can to get an adequate supply of meds to avoid the emergencies. Regardless of whether you stay with this Doc, or go to a PM Doc, you'll have to do this anyway. Once you get stabilized, then maybe you can search around for a PM Doc....But, I wouldn't do so @ this point.....Not yet.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 06-05-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Izzy, hey I just wanted to add my thoughts. My mom is also on PM and has a great relationship with the doc. She went through a period similiar to yours where she had to call him numerous times and the meds he gave either didn't work or she had a reaction. I remember thinking she is going to get herself in trouble and he's going to tell her to move on, but he DIDN'T. He just kept trying to find what would work until it did.

So my guess is when you see him, everything will be fine and you guys will work something out. JMHO, I would definately give him back the scripts for the patches and offer to send back the oc. I doubt he will, but will appreciate the offer.

Try to have a good night and safe travels tomorrow!
Melissa

Old 06-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

I don't mean to be crass, but you have to be careful what you wish for....You might get it! Please don't take this wrong, but if you go see a new PM Doc....Most are very strict, especially with new patients....You have lots of things going on and are on the move a lot, with lots of stuff that pops up....I'm not sure it's a great "fit" for you @ this point. This Doc has been GREAT to you....I know there have been some issues, but you readily admit, some have been to your own doing. Again, please don't take that the wrong way....You have a very demanding lifestyle.

I think I would go see this Doc with as positive attitude as you can. Try to come up with a new plan and implement it. Also, try to do whatever you can to get an adequate supply of meds to avoid the emergencies. Regardless of whether you stay with this Doc, or go to a PM Doc, you'll have to do this anyway. Once you get stabilized, then maybe you can search around for a PM Doc....But, I wouldn't do so @ this point.....Not yet.

OMG...You are SO correct. Thank you so much...Ill post when I return. Im dead tired...
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 06-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Izz, (Looks like I'm following Steve down the line here, I hope he doesn't get a restraining order!! )

I just wanted to say I hope all goes/went well with the doc today. I have been checking in from time to time to see if there's been any update.

I agree with Ex and the rest that you should definitely try to work things out with this doc, based on what he has said to you in the last month or so. I do think some doc's just are really bad about phones and call-backs. I hope he can give you some ideas of what to do when you need to get a message to him.

Take care and let us know, OK. Saying prayers and sending good thoughts, CMP/MM

Old 06-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hey guys,
I didnt get a chance to read any replies this morning, so thank you for all of your support.
My gut was in knots the whole ride. I laid down in the passenger seat because it goes all the way down, and tried to sleep.

When the nurse came in, I asked her about the phone messages, and she looked at me like she had absolutely NO clue. I told her I hadnt heard back from him on Wed, and she said it was a horrible crazy day, so not to be offended. Also she had me fill out a patient complaint form, becuase she said something needs to be done about their message system. Also she asked me who the lady ws that we had been talking to, and when I told her, she rolled her eyes and said..."she needs to be fired, honestly, we get complaints about her all of the time. PLEASE fill out this form, and dont spare ANY details. Write how you really feel." I did...

Then the doc came in, and I was so glad hubby was with me. It was like nothing had happened at all. He asked me if I had any ideas or preferences about my LA meds, because he would like them to hold me better, and I agreed.

So he upped my LA hydro to 20 from 15 mg. Kept my b/t meds at SA 10mgs.
So we'll see. Then we talked about surgeons, and he told me to interview as many as possible. And that if thats what I choose, then he would definatley be on board as well.

He gave me 3 months worth of scripts, and we visited a bit and left.
I didnt confront him about the messages because it wasnt his fault. I would have if he would have gotten them. The nurse told me under no circumstances would he not call back in two days, and from now on to tell the receptionist that I am returning my docs call when I call, that way it will come straight to her line., and she will definately give it to him. Its nice to have the docs nurse on your side.

Oh, and I brought the oxy, and the script for the patches, and he looked surprised. He said what do you want me to do with them, toss them? I said sure. He ripped up the script, and told me to keep the others in case of emergency. He must have been talking about hubby because Im afraid to take them.

Anyway, it worked out fine, but it does get stressful. I was glad hubby was there and saw how he really does help me when I can see him. I told hubs Id never be lucky enough to have another doc that is so liberal, and doesnt make me go under contract. He agreed. He told hubs in conversation, that all of his other pts. are under contract.

Anyway, Im home, sore, and wanted to post and thank everyone. I know I get drama, but Im always petrified of losing my pain management. Im hoping this new shift will help me, so I can get better coverage. I did look at my scripts and noticed he dated them all the same day, different month, that doesnt allow me any time for sending my scripts to the compounder. That could be an issue, but Ill deal with that later. It takes 3 days for the mail, 2 days for the meds, 3 days back.
Thank again, everyone, you guys always know how to help me out. Im sorry I sound like a broken record, sometimes.
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 06-06-2008 at 04:38 PM.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I am so happy your appointment went well. That is unbelievable that that an employee can get away with that if there has been other complaints. I am sorry this sounds terrable but its people like that I would like to put in one of our bodies just for a few hrs.
NO excuse for that & so many mistakes are made by office staff.
I hope you filled out the form, I am sure you did. I love to see when good things happen, & a satisfied visit with a PM is sure a good thing. Take care, Sammy

Old 06-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Thx, Sammy~
Oh, believe me I did fill it out. And I spared NO compassion. Actually what I wrote was this: "Messages are not being delivered to my physician, and even nurse told me they have not been. Confirmed with doctor as well. Message person is nosy, rude, nasty, terribly impatient, and has absolutely NO compassion or professional conduct."
When I gave it to my doc to give to the nurse as we exited, he also said that "she needs to be put out to pasture..."
You think the docs could get someone fired or at least grill them a good one. Who knows. At least the nurse told me how to get a message to them.
He also said today that if he hasnt called me back by noon if I call in the morning for anything to call his cell. He is seeing pts every 15 minutes...I know its crazy. When you are lying there hurting every minute feels like an hour...especially if you are waiting for a return call that could help you...
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 06-06-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Izz.....I'm soooo glad all went well. Wasn't I right????? (LOL).

Quote:
So he upped my LA hydro to 20 from 15 mg. Kept my b/t meds at SA 10mgs.
So, what did he say about the OC? What did he do to replace the patch?

Quote:
He gave me 3 months worth of scripts, and we visited a bit and left.
I didnt confront him about the messages because it wasnt his fault.
Probably a good idea to not say anything. You never know what was going on....The story the nurse gave you could be a cover.....Or it could be legit....Who knows. If she is that bad, I can't imagine they will put up with that level of unprofessionalism long.

Quote:
from now on to tell the receptionist that I am returning my docs call when I call, that way it will come straight to her line., and she will definately give it to him. Its nice to have the docs nurse on your side.
That is great to know! The trip to the Doc's office was worth it just for that inside tip!

Quote:
I brought the oxy, and the script for the patches, and he looked surprised. He said what do you want me to do with them, toss them? I said sure. He ripped up the script, and told me to keep the others in case of emergency. He must have been talking about hubby because Im afraid to take them.
Great that you took them....Immediate credibility, IMO. I don't think he meant them for hubby, but you. He probably just said keep them just in case. BTW, if you really want them in case of an emergency, they're only valid for 6 months after written so you need to fill them and just stash them.

Quote:
I told hubs Id never be lucky enough to have another doc that is so liberal, and doesnt make me go under contract. He agreed. He told hubs in conversation, that all of his other pts. are under contract.
This is why you need to hold on to him and not look for another PM Doc right now. He's a good fit for you.

Quote:
I did look at my scripts and noticed he dated them all the same day, different month, that doesnt allow me any time for sending my scripts to the compounder. That could be an issue, but Ill deal with that later. It takes 3 days for the mail, 2 days for the meds, 3 days back.
If he wrote them that way, it's illegal just as an fyi....But no one will ever know unless you tell them. When writing postdated scripts, the date should reflect the date the Doc sees the patient and then on the script it should say, "Do not fill until xyz date" or "fill on xyz date." The way he wrote yours, they're still not legit scripts until the date, but technically not right....Just telling you as an fyi....I wouldn't show anyone them until the date on the script....This could be an issue if you send them off before you need them....I hope they won't say anything. I'd like to hear what others have to say about this.

Glad all went well for you! I was pulling for you big time!

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 06-06-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Thx Ex...
He told me when he wrote them that it was illegal, and he wasnt supposed to do it. But he said with the price of gas, and all of the screwups with the messages, he would just do this, and if there were any probs to call his cell.
I really dont think the nurse was lying. I really have a good gut feeling about her, and like her alot. She also has called me back within 5 minutes before a few weeks ago, but I could be wrong. Hubby said tonite, that the place is a freaking nut hole. He said unless he would have gone with me, he wouldnt have been able to imagine how inconsistant and crazy the place is.
It was packed to the gills, and they have 5 docs and 6 PAs.
As far as replacing the patch, I think he thinks the 20 mg will. Honestly I know it wont. Im going to give it a try though and then Ill call if not.
I dont think he knows conversion very well at all. Also the script he gave me to come home on while Im waiting on my compounds to be filled was 4X a day 7.5 percocet. 28 TABS. Thats oxycodone, and tylenol, and I took them when I left and Ive been sick to my stomach and itching like crazy. Also he didnt give me anything for LA for a week. After coming off of the patch, AND 15 mg of hydro, AND 10 mg for b/t to 4 times a day 7.5 percocet?
It doesnt make sense and Ill be dying by tomorrow.
I have NO problem calling him back tomorrow. I should have looked at my scripts when he gave them to me. My bad.
Also he upped the dose to 20 LA, but the amount was 120, and now 90, with the dose uppage.
Thats off too. Right? Damn...
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 06-06-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Thx Ex...
He told me when he wrote them that it was illegal, and he wasnt supposed to do it. But he said with the price of gas, and all of the screwups with the messages, he would just do this, and if there were any probs to call his cell.
Why didn't he just postdate them??? All he had to do was write today's date of 6-6-08 (examination date) in the upper right hand corner and then somewhere on the script, "do not fill until 7-6-08" for next months script, and then "do not fill until 8-5-08" (31 days in July) on the third month's script.

It will probably work either way, unless your pharmacy is really strict.

Quote:
As far as replacing the patch, I think he thinks the 20 mg will. Honestly I know it wont. Im going to give it a try though and then Ill call if not.
I would agree with you. I don't think a 20mg Hydro is anywhere near the strength of the patch. At the very least, you will need a couple of them per day.

Quote:
Also the script he gave me to come home on while Im waiting on my compounds to be filled was 4X a day 7.5 percocet. 28 TABS. Thats oxycodone, and tylenol, and I took them when I left and Ive been sick to my stomach and itching like crazy.
You're right.....This doesn't make any sense....It's the Oxycodone you have a problem with.

Quote:
Also he didnt give me anything for LA for a week. After coming off of the patch, AND 15 mg of hydro, AND 10 mg for b/t to 4 times a day 7.5 percocet? It doesnt make sense and Ill be dying by tomorrow.
I'm totally lost as to what he's trying to do. Maybe I'm missing something and don't have all the info...You're right, it just doesn't make sense.

Quote:
I have NO problem calling him back tomorrow. I should have looked at my scripts when he gave them to me. My bad.
Looks like you'll have to.

Quote:
Also he upped the dose to 20 LA, but the amount was 120, and now 90, with the dose uppage.
Thats off too. Right? Damn...
That's only 3 per day by my count....Will that work?

Ex

Old 06-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

The scripts are dated: 6/6/ 7/6 and 8/6. Im just saying that my meds will be to 30 days, and I have NO meds for the week it takes to get mine from the compound.
The LA hydro is twice a day. which is great, but I have a week to take 4 times a day 7.5 oxy, which is making me sick as a dog and itching. Im puking up pure bile, and have huge red spotches. Why in the hell would he give me an oxy med when I told he and the nurse that I had a reaction to the oxycontin.

Im going to try to get some rest...Ill just have to figure it out tomorrow. I dont know what else to do. 15 minutes with a doc for your PM isnt enough, even though he means well. He told me the script he gave me for this week was fine, and Id have no problems. When I saw oxy "anything" I was kind of freaked. But I didnt know if the first med I had, maybe had some sort of other componant that didnt agree with me. You have to understand that the reason I do compounds is i cannot have alot of the dyes, ect in reg meds. Thats why weve been doing the compounds.

I know him well enough and he is very forgetful. That in itself, I should have double checked everything... I cannot believe he would prescribe the same med, only with another componant that I cant handle. I should have turned around after 50 miles of driving, but I had my son to pick up from friends. Im going to go to the conversion chart online and call him back tomorrow. At least at night I can try to get some sleep, hopefully. See? this is why there's drama. He is a very kind man, but I dont think he gets it. Also Im afraid to speak up just like a ton of ppl here. I spoke up once in the appt when he had my script saying 60 LA and 60 SH. Thats HALF of my usual dose. The chart was in front of him, and I said..."Ive been having 120 of both...dont you think thats awful low???"
I just should have turned around and gone back..But I bit the bullet and decided I would just call him tomorrow.
Gotta jet... Sonny is having a sleepover, and their dinner is here, and I want to spend some time with my boy~
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 06-06-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Closed Thread