It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Steve...

Steve, just want to share somethin with you.

As you know I told you that I had 2 knee surgeries and need right knee replacement. But due to spinal problems it can't be done at this point.

We went today to visit my husband's relative at the rehab.
She is 65, very heavy lady. She had knees problem for so many years! She got to the point where she walked with 2 canes or walker. She couldn't walk at all, crying from pain every day.

She was told she has to have surgery for both of her knees 3 years ago, but was worry about it.
Well, 4 days ago she had both of her knees replaced. She is in a rehab for a week and than goes home.
Even though she is in a lot of pain (understandable), she says that she is feeling better already. They made her walk next day after surgery and yesterday she was doing steps already!
Is in it remarkable? They teach her how to walk, how to move and she is almost ready to go home; I can't get over it.

She is so happy and saying how silly she was for not doing it earlier. Post-surgery pain is nothing to compare what she went through before the surgery.

What is your status now? How do you feel?

All the best to you.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Steve...

How can't I be, Steve? You are always here for everybody else, you are here to support all of us and I am sure everybody would be here for you as well.

I hear you, man! Sport is something so hard to give up on. I stll go by my favorite gym where i spent almost 15 years of my life and my heart hurts from something i lost and something which can't be in my life anomore... talking about acceptance, ha?

My right knee exactly as yours: needs to be replaced badly. I had 2 surgeries on it though, first time when i was 25, it was a big one and second one was to clean all this floating stuff from it and to removed fluid.

Do you wear those braces I told you about? I hope you do and I hope it works at least when you play.

All the best to you, Steve, and keep enjoy your tennis. After all - hobby is something we love and I believe so healthy and good for us.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Steve,
you and I are hard core
When I told my knee DR that I do 4-5 times heavy durty gym a week (3-4 hours each time) he couldn't believe me.
I was so "prepared" for my daily gym - was funny to look at me.

Always pain meds 1/2 hour before I start, both knees braces, back support belt I started after my car accident in '03 which left me with more knee damages and with a lots of back problems. But I thought excersising will help my back not even knowing that I did more damage to it until in '06 I had to have multi-level spinal fusion. Too bad I did not have Tence Unit at that time - can you imagine with all I had on me plus the Tence? LOL

My surgeon told me to cxl my membership because I will not be able to go at least a year back - no way I would listen to him thinking "He has no idea how tought I am; I will be out and about in no time".
Well, little that I know.... talking about acceptance! I am so tough on myself all my life and pity stuff is not for me, and believe or not - I always won no matter what.
But not this time! And this is what kills me the most that I had to give up 2 the most important things in my life which I had for myself (I always leaved for everybody else; my loving family and friends were always first - not me. So gym and my unbelivable job were something I had just for me).

I leave with childhood RA -never knew what means to leave without pain because of this. DRs told my parents that eventually I may need a wheel chair due to situation with my joints. How do you think I "killed" my knees?
Sports! Yes, sports despite my DR's predictions; I was fighting my parents all the time, they were so worry about me not to hurt myself even more, but to me, active child, the future on a wheel chair was not an option.

I never regreted a minute of it; only people who do it all their life can understand how hard to give up on something you love so much, something you achieve on your own despite any medical no-no.

Now I have another knee surgeon at HSS and when I told him that up to my spinal surgery I did such and such and for so long in my gym - he said that I have to be in their medical books. I asked: "You mean sports medicine books or mental patients book?" He smile and said: both.

That is why I always say that humans are so much stronger than they think they are. Look at you, man!
How many people still play any sports in your situation?. I give you sooooo much credit for your strenght; this is what life is about, is in it?

So enjoy every minute of it until you can - I don't blame you! If I could - I would come and play too, but now I am not even good to pick up tennis bolls from the floor, can't band... LOL

Old 06-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Thank you, Steve for a wonderful words you said about me - means so much to me.
I am so happy for this board - where else I could meet such wonderful people?

Have a wonderful summer, enjoy!

Closed Thread