It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
(male)

CHRISSHANE HB User
Anything stronger then Percocet (Oxycodone)

I have suffered from chronic migraines for years. I have tried all the "Preventive Meds" and the only thing that seems to work is the "As Needed" pain meds. I have been on Percocet (Oxycodone) 10mg for quite some time. At first it worked great, but recently I have found it wears off quickly and often times causes me to get worse migraines. Is there something stronger I can take as an "As Needed?" Due to my work, I can not take Oxycontin or any of the "Long Lasting" type medications. Is Roxycodone any different, better?

Old 06-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User
Re: Anything stronger then Percocet (Oxycodone)

I dont want to lecture you, I am sure you have heard it all before, but narcotics and migraines are like tipping petrol onto a fire, you can easily end up in a downward spiral unless very strict limits are maintained (no more than 2 days a week, no more than 10 pills a month etc)

Have you tried oral, nasal or injected Imitrex (the Imitrex comes as an auto-injector, which is supposedly easy to do your self)

Injections of dihydroergotamine plus prochlorperazine are the standard treatment for migraines that dont respond to standard drugs here in Australia - they DHE would need to be given by injection.

If you cant face that, a suppository of Voltaren 100mg and one of Thorazine 100mg can work like magic.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, there are many stronger narcotics than oxycodone 10mg, but please, be very, very careful.

Last edited by aussiejono; 06-10-2008 at 04:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
(male)

CHRISSHANE HB User

I have tried the Imitrex with the same result. It seems to work, but not always. The medicine I am on is for daily basis, and I have had the MRI's along with the CT Scans, and still the doctors can find no source or reason for the migraines and so I must deal with them as they come (Even though it is constant with out meds.) The percocet I am on is the generic, Ocycodone. Could that be a reason it doesnt work? Is there anything stronger for pain relief?

Old 06-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

Lots of stronger things for pain releif

When you get a migraine, the stomach oftne doesnt absorb drugs very well, so injections, nasal sprays and suppositories are often worth a try.

Ask your doctor about a trial of Voltaren and Compazine via suppository.

Stadol Nasal Spray (a narcotic pain killer) might be worth a try

Other strong oral painkillers are dilaudid, morphine etc.

You could try using Imitrex PLUS a pain killer

Old 06-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Jack24 HB User

Sometimes just breathing a few hits of plain O2 can knock it out. This cure is more type dependent. What type do you have?

Closed Thread