It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
(female)

georgi HB User
Weight Loss and Oxycontin?

I have been taking Oxycontin for about 6 months for pain. I have noticed that I am really losing some weight. IDO NOT NEED to lose weight, so I am a bit concerned by this. Has anyone else lost weight on Oxycontin?
Thanks for responding.
georgi

Old 06-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Weight Loss and Oxycontin?

Hello Georgi....Can you give us some more detail about your condition and other variables involved?

I suspect it has more to do with your overall condition and activity level than anything else. For example, does the med take away your appetite? Weight loss occurs when you utilize more calories than you take in....The opposite results in weight gain. Somehow or another, you're either burning more calories or taking less calories in. Or, your medical condition effects your weight.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 06-16-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
(female)

georgi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Hello Georgi....Can you give us some more detail about your condition and other variables involved?

I suspect it has more to do with your overall condition and activity level than anything else. For example, does the med take away your appetite? Weight loss occurs when you utilize more calories than you take in....The opposite results in weight gain. Somehow or another, you're either burning more calories or taking less calories in. Or, your medical condition effects your weight.

Ex
Really I have several issues tha could cause my weight loss, just wondering if oxycontin could be one of them. I know you are on several of the board threads that I am on. You have been a lot of help in several areas. I really should have answers to my own questions this friday. That will be the end of my two weeks of testing at Mayo. I am hoping and praying for my disibility to come through. I know that I will need a heart valve replaced soon and I can really use that disibility money. Thanks for your help for me and others.
georgi

Old 06-17-2008, 06:21 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

No problem.....Glad I could be of some help. Any time....Really.

To give a simple answer to your question..."Could the Oxycontin cause me to lose weight"? No...Unless it's causing you to lose your appetite. I seriously doubt it is increasing your metabolism...Not enough to promote weight loss.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 06-17-2008 at 06:24 AM.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
(male)

gregar HB User

I've actually started gaining weight (and I don't need to gain more heh). Most likely from being so tired all the time that I don't want to do anything. I've been taking oxycontin for almost 3 months now and I'm still hoping the tiredness goes away.

Last edited by gregar; 06-17-2008 at 08:47 AM.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Weight gain is fairly common because OC (or any narcotic) slows down your CNS and your metabolism. And of course, being tired means less activity.

Ex

Old 06-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Jack24 HB User

Another little ditty as posted a few days ago, especially for guys is that narcotics tend to bottom out testosterone. It is not uncommon for guys to have to go on replacement.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

I forget to eat sometimes on oxycontin - not sure if this is pain frazzeling my brain or oxy though. I just don't remember food until I get hungry. I have lost weight while being on oxy but I'm not underweight - I put on weight after my accident for a while (think it was the tramadol). The pain relief is worth weight loss or gain in my opinion. Depends how much I guess!

Old 06-18-2008, 05:22 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I lost weight on Oxy too. If you read description, they are saying it "kills" appetite and you may loose weight.
I noticed immideately i went on it that i don't eat as much at all and lost about 10 pounds in 3 month. I am pretty trim to begin with, but like they say "never too reach, never too thin..." LOL

Closed Thread