It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
(female)

vickie37 HB User
what would cause my bones in my legs to hurt

what would cause my bones in my legs to hurt they hurt so bad i cant even lay on my sides and at times it is too painful to even walk.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: what would cause my bones in my legs to hurt

Vickie,

Welcome to HealthBoards!

I'm so sorry for your pain.

Can you provide a bit more info. Like part of leg that hurts, any history of other pain or chronic pain, use of pain meds, stuff like that.

Thanks,

steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

It could be almost anything causing leg pain. Do you have any back problems? Did you hurt yourself? What medications are you taking? Do you have any pus/drainage? Do you have tingling? Do you have a bruise? Do you have cramps, spasms, swelling, or difficulty moving it?

As you can see we need alot more information before we could even attempt to help you.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:10 AM   #4
(female)

vickie37 HB User

yes I do have back problems. I have degenerative disc disease and bulging discs and my spine has began to spur. I do have bruises but I have always bruised extremely easy. I have looked up all my meds and none of the meds say anything about leg pain as a s/e? I do have nerve damage and sometimes i even have trouble just lifting my legs. The pain that I descriped as bone pain is a different kind of pain and it started about 3 months ago, it feels as if some one has took an axe and is scrapping it all the way down my bones in my legs. If I have walked for a while it feels like my bones are splitting with each step I take. In 2005 I had 8 nerves in my back burned. I cant sleep at night because i cant lay on my sides due to it is now too painful and if i lay flat on my back it to is too painful? I hope this new information can help you give me some insight to my bone pain. I thank you for your time. There is no pus/drainage, it is mostly my lower legs but at times it is up in my hip area too. I am currently on Morphine 30mg BID and vicodin for break through pain and I take Lyrica 75mg TID

Last edited by vickie37; 06-21-2008 at 06:20 AM.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Welcome on board!
Vicky, even though a lot of things can cause legs pain, some of them can be checked.
You mentioned you have back and nerves problems : here is one of the possibilities. I go through this myself after 2 spinal fusions.

Arthirities is another problem wich causes a lots of pain. Everything what you described needs to be checked.
Unfortunatelly they don't have the answers for all type of pain we are getting; but it worth to try. They may have the cure to help you.

Best of luck to you!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I suspect it is coming from your back due to your history. I have a very deep achy burning in my legs 24/7 and sometimes I just have a deep ache that feels like it is in the bone. Do you have spinal stenosis? You said you have spurs so I suspect that you do. I can't be 100% sure but I suspect that is the culprit of the pain. There is nothing like this pain and it is next to impossible to get comfortable. I have found a hot tub to help, sometimes just putting ice pacs on the legs are helpful and I found some stuff on the internet called Biofreeze. My heart goes out to you, I deal with pain everyday due to 4 spinal surgeries and the last one has been labeled Failed Back Syndrome with Post Laminectomy Syndrome.

You have found an awesome board and if you are looking for any support this is the place. We are here for you so join in on the posts and you will soon understand how caring everyone is. Welcome.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Vickie,

Have you had any bone density testing done?

If not, that might be wise.

Have you ever had this pain before? If so, when, and what was done?

For relief, have you considered raising the Lyrica dose? Can you take anti-inflammatory drugs? If so, you might give Advil a try. Ask your doc or a pharmacist about dose.

I urge you to get to your doc very soon. This is important for relief, but even more critical to determine the cause of this pain. If it is degenerative, you want to put a halt to it ASAP.

Best of Luck!

steve

Old 06-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
(female)

vickie37 HB User

I want to thank each of you who gave input on my leg pain, I feel deeply for others who suffer from pain also. I have a high tolerance for pain, I have dealt with all my life, I just cant take this type of pain. I have 4 teenagers and a grandbaby that lives with me and my husband is a wonderful support to me, He has had to be my legs numerous times do to when my nerve is pinched i cant lift my legs. I dont want to take any more meds and I am terrified of having surgery! you have had surgery havent you? Did it help at all? I am going to my doctor on the 26th so hopefully they will give me some type of test to find out where its coming from. I will pray for you, I know if it wasnt for God I wouldnt be able to even tolerate my pain. I havent had any test on my legs and I havent had a bone density test either, when I mention my pain to my doctor they chalk it up to my back pain or my fibromyalgia. I think on thursday I will ask the doctor to maybe do a bone density test? I have not had this type of pain in my legs before, that is one of the things that bother me because i havent had it before. Thank you all again for you input. Have a wonderful day. I dont get on the computer that much but I will be back on it for sure by saturday, I dont get on it during the week b/c I am so busy with my family.

Last edited by vickie37; 06-21-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hi There...
I dont know much about your diagnosis, but i do understand pain, mine is in my back and neck, and Im so happy that you are here. Please check back when you can because the ppl here are just so amazing. hang in there!
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 06-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

Welcome to healthboards, you've found a great site!
I think Steve's idea of a density test is great. If it is really 'bone' type pain and not like nerve pain or referred back pain - then I'd highly recommend getting a bone scan done of your legs. I'm not trying to scare you here, lots of things can cause bone pain but unfortunately one of them is cancer.
In light of your lower back problems, it's probably that but I thought I would put the question out there - it does need to be checked out. You may also have some fractures (result of low bone density or shin splints). Bone pain is very distressing - I hope you find relief soon. Good luck j.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:44 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I did some reading today and saw that Fibro can cause bone pain. There really is alot of different things that could be causing it. I pray that you soon find out the cause and get treatment soon.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Vickie,

I've had bone related surgery numerous times, but not for this type of pain. Mine has always been joint related. What you are experiencing is different.

I've had bone density testing done before and it's no big deal, and it doesn't hurt at all. They just put you on a table and do a scan, kinda like xrays. Nothing to fear.

From everything you've written it seems like what you're experiencing is neuropathic, or a bone density issue. Either way, it's very painful as many here can attest to. Chronic pain is not good for the body Vickie. It can affect your immune system and cause depression. Even if a cause cannot be isolated, it still needs to be treated. That may require medications of one sort or another. You may need to re-think your idea of taking meds. If chronic pain goes untreated, or under-treated for too long it taxes the body and the emotions too much. Quality of life suffers and so do relationships. It can't be helped and it's no one's fault.

I'll pray for you that the Lord will assist the docs in determining the cause to your pain, and that you will be treated aggressively so that you can enjoy each day as you deserve.

steve

Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

In the old days quinine use to be used for that. I would imagine bananas as well as potassium might help as well as calcium. Have you spoken with your doctor lately they might have some insight on what might be able to help some ?

Closed Thread