It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Mirtazapine

Hello Everyone. Last month my PM started me on Mirtazapine[Remeron] to help me sleep. Well it's been a month, almost. It really helps me sleep during the day. Sunday morning it was all I could do to stay awake during a sermon on sex. To top it off, since I've been on this stuff, my temper is real short. It's surprising my dog is still in one piece! Friends seem to be staying away. Anything people say, I take the wrong way. I just about jump out of my skin when the phone rings or any sudden noise. So tonight I decided not to take the little half of a 15mg tablet. It is now 1:40 am and here I am! I just took the tablet so pretty soon I'll be snoozing. I guess it's time for a call to the PM to see what else is out there. Actually I'll wait until 9:00am. to call.
Any ideas will be certainly appreciated.
Fred[i think]

Old 06-23-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Aver00 HB User
Re: Mirtazapine

I tried everything to get to sleep and the one thing that finally helped me was to get a schedule - I read it in THE LADIES HOME JOURNAL (hehehe)-
it said you first want to figure out how many hours of sleep your body required and then figure out bedtime and waketime - start a regiman of sticking to those times - at first I thought this is silly and will not work but a year later I am sleeping so much better - my night schedule is drink some milk with a couple of cookies - read a daily devotion - in bed lights out at 11:00pm
and force my self to think about the devotional and nothing else - at first I would lie there for 2-3 hours but finally that time got shorter and shorter - the problem with this is when you get off schedule you are really wacked out -but by golly the old ladies did it for me
when I used medication sleep aids there was always some annoying side effect - try and make a schedule if you can and see if it helps
I will be messed up all week. I have a 4 year old with an earache that keeps waking her up - my poor baby hugs Aver

Last edited by Aver00; 06-23-2008 at 10:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Thanks Aver. I am/was on a schedule. Like you it's 11pm to bed, read for 15 minutes or until the words get blurry, then lights out. It's just that I was starting to wake up too early. Like 5 am. That's why I'm on this new stuff. I really don't like it. I looked up the side effects yesterday and yep I'm experiencing a bunch of them.
I think the pill is kicking in. It's getting real hard to keep my eyes open.
Good night
Fred

Old 06-23-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Its funny how there are so many meds out there, hubby and I both have been on so many, What we try to do is give it a fair shake, ask the doctor if side effects are liable to subside with time or worsen, they can usually tell you that on a drug by drug basis.

And when enough is enough, tell them thats it, Find me something new, I cant take it. there are so many different meds out there, they can always find something else to try.

PS~ I also think the pharmacist is an under used resource, they arent just clerks, they are part of our health care team and if you have a 24 hour pharm, you can call at any time and they are happy to answer questions. sometimes they know more about a med than doctors will.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-30-2008 at 01:19 AM.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Fred,

When my mom passed away my dad had a heck of a time with sleep. They'd been married over 50 years and this was the fist time he'd slept alone in all that time.

The hospice nurse we had for my mom talked him into seeing a counselor for grief counseling, and he brought up the sleep issue. The counselor had experience with sleep issues and made a few recommendations that have brought him outstanding sleep for most nights since that time.

The counselor said that the bed is for one thing, and one thing only - sleep. (keep in mind he was single now and not looking for anyone new - so sex was just not part of the discussion. In someone else's life the bed would also be for sex, but you get the idea). She told him that the bed was not for reading, not for tv watching, certainly not for snacking - just sleep. Over time, this reinforces that when your head hits the pillow, it's time to sleep. She also told him to do his reading and tv watching somewhere else, right up to the time he began to get sleepy. No dozing allowed where the reading or tv watching took place. As soon as that started happening it was time for bed. She told him to keep track of when this "bedtime" occurred and eventually make it a scheduled item. She told him that IF he couldn't get to sleep to get out of bed and go in another room to read or whatever. Remember, the bed is for sleep. When the dozing started again, back to bed. repeat until successful. Other suggestions were to eat no later than 2-3 hours before bedtime, no stimulants, like coffee, after 2 in the afternoon, etc.

So here are the rules:

• the bed is for sleep, period.
• read, watch, tv, snack, whatever - do these things somewhere else
• go to bed at the first sign of sleepiness
• when getting in bed, hit the pillow immediately, no other activities
• if sleep doesn't come after 20 minutes, get out of bed and read or whatever
• return to be when sleepy
• repeat this cycle until sleep comes.
• if you awake during the night and can't get back to sleep repeat the steps above.

Within a few days my dad had it licked. But he told me that he had to follow these rules to the "t." No exceptions. He did have a med to help him at first, right after my mom passed, but after awhile he was able to do it w/o any meds.

Give it a try - what do you have to lose?

steve

Old 06-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Aver00 HB User

Hi Steve - that pretty much reinforces everything the article in the magazine said - I had forgotten how they stressed the importance of the bed being for sleep - It was a little difficult for me a reader to stop reading in bed but I went with reading the daily devotional (about a paragraph) and then getting in bed - I have a tendency to be a little negative about things that require more effort on my part (I like the quick fix) but this has worked great for me and hubby Hugs Aver

Old 06-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

While I agree in part that some of the sleep hygiene "rules" can help some people, that have failed miserable to help me.

I simply cannot achieve sleepiness unless I an actually IN bed. I do have a nightly ritual....brush and floss, wash my face and put my ant-aging stuff, put on my pj's, fill my CPAP machine with water, plug my phone and bluetooth earphone into their chargers, then lay out all my meds: Ambien CR, Promethazine, Mirapex, Neurontin, Zanaflex, the NSAID of the week, and Klonopin as late. I used to take Xanax, but it started losing its efficacy. I also have the Vicodin close at hand if I should experience BT pain. After taking my meds, I put in my foam earplugs, and only if I reel relaxed enough do I put on my CPAP mask. I set the sleep timer on the TV to 2 hours. Without the sound of the tv, I just listen to the sound of my own heart pounding. The tv drowns it out, and I typically choose a show that I've seen before so I'm not interested, but distracted enough to listen for a while until I am able to drift off. Sometimes, despite all the stuff I take, nothing works. I will lay awake for 5-6 hours without sleeping. I am comfortable, my mind is at ease, but I cannot sleep.

Last night I had to go to the ER because I had such a bad case of Restless Legs Syndrome, I thought I was having a seizure. I had already taken ALL of my meds (around 11 pm) and by 2:30 I was freaking out. Tried walking it off, massaging it, took 2 more Mirapex pills....nothing helped. I stumbled into my hubby's room (he has to sleep there due to his snoring) and he got me to the ER. They gave me Valium and Benadryl, but I must admit that by the time we got there, I think that second Mirapex had started to kick in. I was a total zombie by the time we left.....they put me in a wheelchair, and the last thing I remember is going to the 24-hour pharmacy to get more Valium in case I need it. We got home, and I totally crashed, but only for about 4-1/2 hours. Not enough, for sure, especially after all those meds.. I am still wiped.

Anyway, my point is, sleep hygiene is worth a try for everyone, but only you can say if it works. I tried it for 4 months and it actually made my insomnia worse. But all that many people need is the routine and strict rules (I know that sex is allowed in bed,(otherwise, where would it be allowed, the pool table?) but just that and sleep). I do not watch stimulating TV, but I usually need it to help keep my mind distracted.

Mirtzapine really did nothing for me. Amitriptyline was more effective for quite a while, although I did gain a good deal of weight from it. I also had success with Topamax (which helps with pain) and the promethazine (generic Phenergan).

Lyrica is good for pain and sleep....perhaps you could try it. The side effects were too brutal for me, but many do not have any problems.

In any case, I wish you great success in getting sleep so that you can more effectively handle your pain. Let us know what works for you.

Zombie Girl (aka TexMom85)

Last edited by TexMom85; 06-24-2008 at 10:03 PM. Reason: i am a zombie

Old 06-24-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Aver00 HB User

Oh TexMom, that just sounds awful and is a much greater issue than
insomnia - I am going to reread your post a few times and try and get a grip on what you go through - I am going to put my thinking cap on and see if I can come up with anything that will allow you a little more sleep - As it is right now it is no wonder you are a zombie - you are in my thoughts and prayers Hugs Aver

Old 06-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

If I don't get enough sleep I end up with a migraine. I can usually go one night but if I'm still not sleeping the second night I'm guaranteed to wake up with a killer migraine. Then I have to hope I catch it early enough for my maxalt and promethazine to work their magic. My hubby's last ankel surgery was a killer. He was nervous the night before so he kept me up. By the time he was in recovery I had thrown up in every bathroom on that floor of the hospital! His surgeon even wrote me a new prescription for promethazine because I didn't have any with me and the nurses didn't want me to drive because I had taken it. I told them that I take it all the time and it doesn't make me sleepy. I did drive home with a plastic bag taped to the steering wheel. Love that visual!!! My poor kids had to take care of dad cause mom had to go straight to bed for 6 hours.

So, yes, lack of sleep scares me! I take trazodone when I'm having trouble. My hubby used to take amitriptiline which was great but he stopped taking it for awhile and doesn't want to go through the two week period where it's hard to drag yourself out of bed. Good luck to all and sweet dreams.~Mush

Old 06-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Thanks all. I just might try the sleep thing. Of course that means no sleeping in the recliner? That is where I do most of my reading. Then I doze off for a few minutes then wake up like nothing has happened. With this new med I'm sleepy all the time. Maybe I should just stay in bed?LOL! Thanks again everyone. Tex, good luck with your sleep problems they are so much worse than mine it's like I feel guilty for complaining.
Fred

Old 06-25-2008, 04:43 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hey Fred,
I wanted to chime in and let you know I am thinking of you. I am sure that the no sleep stuff must wear on the mental aspect of things.
I had sleep issues when I got sober the first time. I am sure it was because my body did not realy remember how to sleep because of all the methamphetamines I used. I now only have the sleep issue on occasion. Sometimes I wake up to early like today I woke up at 3:40 am and have not gone back to sleep so I just stayed up. I will have to nap possibly later. It could be due to the heat. It had been very hot here and some wild fires in California have blown in the smoke to my area. I had to sleep with the windows closed because it was to smokey and smelly. I finally was able to open them a bit this morning but the smokiness is said to be sticking around until the end of the week.

Tex, Wow hon, you have been through the ringer. Sorry to hear of your troubles as well.

I will put you both out a little extra prayer ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chrissy

Old 06-25-2008, 04:59 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Fred I have problems sleeping too .. I tried just about everything to help .. I would just lay in bed and everytime I moved and my back would jolt me I would get so mad all I could do is lay there so mad with things racing through my mind , like whats tomorrow going to be like / how are we going to pay bills ect..ect.. I told my family Dr about this and he put me on Klonopin and boy do I sleep good now . I still awake in pain a few times but I fall back to sleep right away .. I believe its for anxiety .. Plus I don't feel like punching holes in the walls anymore. ( No I don't do that ) Talk to your doc about how they make you feel .

Good luck buddy

Closed Thread