It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

hurtinggrandma HB User
what should i do if my doctor is unavailable and i cannot get my pain medication

what should i do if my doctor is unavailable and i cannot get my pain medication

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: what should i do if my doctor is unavailable and i cannot get my pain medication

Does he not have anyone covering for him during his absence? If he doesn't you might have to go to your gp or to the ER especially if you have been on meds for a long time. It will send you into withdrawals.

Not saying this is your problem but this is always why it is so important to know your docs vacation schedule and never to let your meds get low. It stinks to be without them and in my case, it can't happen.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by ms_west; 07-01-2008 at 10:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Re: what should i do if my doctor is unavailable and i cannot get my pain medication

I would first try to contact him, then anyone covering or affilliated with him, and lastly I would go to the ER.

Write your doctor a note outlining what happened and the steps you took. Even if you are under contract, that means he has to keep his side of it as well, if you are due for a refill and he is unavalible, you have done nothing wrong and imho are free to try to avoid pain and withdrawal by going to the ER or urgent care.

Good luck and please let us know what happens!
~Fabby

Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
(female)

hurtinggrandma HB User

my doctor was called away for some emergency and doctors filling in for him will not prescribe narcotic medication. i have been to three er's, called numerous pain management facilities and no help. er gave me two duragesic patches and told me to follow up with my doctor who so far has been gone for three weeks and still no news when he will return. pain management clinics tell me it will be a week or longer before they can see me and then cannot prescribe medication on first visit. i have post polio neuropathy, chronic back pain from auto accident, osteo arthritis and curvature of the spine, i feel like i am dying from the pain. they did offer to stick me in the mental ward to help with pain until whenever my doctor returns. i have two 80 mg oxys left because when i called the thurs. before my meds ran out on mon. for an appt. they informed me he was out. got a list from pharmacy for past six months to show physician filling in i only go to one doctor, one pharmacy and same time each month. he write ne a script instead for my blood pressure patch. so i sit and cry and hurt. i'm a heart patient which they all are aware of and i have been told i cannot just stop taking my medication yet no one will help me.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

that is so ROTTEN. I feel so badly for you. This is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Even though you were told the on call Dr's will not prescribe to you, make an apt and go in and see one of them, they have your chart there, and bring in your pharmacy report so they can see how careful you are how you follow the rules. It could be that the nurses or the receptionist are the ones telling you this NOT the Dr himself. So when you make that apt. do not tell the receptionist or the nurse why you want to be seen. Just tell them you need to speak to them about your heart meds, not about your pain meds. This will help, trust me. Once the Dr see's your in chronic pain, they will hopefully have a heart and support you and fill those scripts. Now if these Dr's are not part of your Dr's practice that makes sense as to why they may not want to refill your meds, but if they share an office there is NO reason why they should not help you. you did nothing wrong here and its not your fault your Dr is out of the office for god knows how long. Just seeing the Dr face to face will help and I do hope this works for you. Good luck!!!!

SS

Old 07-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I agree with SS....Make an appt with the Doc "covering" for your Doc. If you've been a regular patient there for some time, and get monthly refills, it should be almost a "given" that the person covering take care of you until your Doc returns....Especially important if your Doc has been gone for 3 weeks....What kind of Doc takes off for this length of time and doesn't make arrangements for his patients?

When is your Doc expected back. I guess if all else fails, going to the mental ward may be better than WDs.

Sorry, you have to go through this...It's not right.

Ex

Old 07-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

sandim HB User

Did the doctor prescribe you clonidine perhaps for blood pressure? That medication is sometimes given to people who are going through withdrawal, as it helps with some of the withdrawal side effects.
I am not sure how much medication you are taking or what exactly it is that you are taking but the clonidine may help until you can get in to see your doctor.
Also, you might want to think about switching to another PM given that this one apparently does not have any method in place in case of situations like this one.
Take care,
Sandi

Old 07-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I think they call this Patient abandonment and doctors can get into a lot of trouble with the lisencing boards over it.

I am shocked that your doctor took off without telling you in advance, and without leaving something in place for you to get your meds in his absence.

My doctor is on vacation this month, but he told me beforehand and made arrangements with another doctor in his practice so I only needed to call 1 day before and then come in to pick up my scripts.

At this point, all bets are off and you owe this doctor nothing. He left you on your own to suffer, do whatever you can think of to get relief, he has no room to complain!

If need be, go to the ER every night, eventually someone there will take you on or pull some strings for you to be seen sooner. Its a sad fact that the squeeky wheel gets the grease, but it is a fact, so start squeeking!

We're here to support you 24/7, please keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

As far as saying it's a heart thing you want to see his partner about, imho, that is not a lie, it is a huge concern for your heart health for you to be thrown into pain and withdrawal, any number of things could happen to you as a result.

Hang in there, you havent done anything to deserve this treatment, and I am so sorry it is happening to you.

Your Friend, Fabby

Old 07-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #9
(female)

hurtinggrandma HB User

went to see in fill in dr. they said i had to go back to the pain management doctor they told me to go see. but that pain management dr. told me he does not prescribe pain meds and i should think about having a morphine pump put in my back and sent me on my way. then the pain med dr. told er all i was wanting was a bunch of oxycottin and he had offered me shots. this was not true. i was made to feel like i am a drug addict. i've called two other pain management drs. first appt. i can get is july 21st. i will not be able to take the pain. after being on pain meds for nine years and have nothing to look forward to but being on pain meds the rest of my life. i'm scared to death and don't know what to do. i called my reg md's office they said he would be back in three weeks but will no longer be dispensing pain medication. thank you all for your support. i'm hoping this one pain management dr will see me tomorrow. they said only in two days a week made the july appt. but they will see if dr. will see me tomorrow afternoon. please pray i'm able to stop this pain. right now i feel as if i'm going crazy. unfortunately it seems as if drs in virginia do not believe in pain medication. my doctor was in maryland which i had lived for 27 yrs until just recently. anymore ideas i really could use them. and thank you all for your support.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
(female)

hurtinggrandma HB User

and no it was catapre3 my regular blood pressure patch.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Hey, we are neighbors. I am your neighbor. Are you on Kaiser by chance?

Have you gone to Prince William Hospital or Fairfax?

Last edited by ms_west; 07-01-2008 at 08:01 PM.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #12
(female)

Sammiejoe HB User

I'm so sorry that you have been abandoned by your doc without any meds to taper off. The only thing I can think of is a methadone clinic in your area...Even though you're not addicted to your meds, you can explain to the clinic that your dependent on narcotic meds for pain and that you can't find a new doc willing to rx them...This may provide some temporary relief until you can find a new doc...Of course, you will need to think about how a new doc will react to you going to a methadone clinic, but it may be your only option at this time.

Have you tried to post your general location on the board and ask for a referral to a pm doc or even a general practioner that rx's pain meds?

It sounds like the pm doc that called the ER really hurt your chance of getting further help from that ER, but have you tried another hospital? How far are you able to travel to see a new doc? Maybe going to a different state is an option?

This is truely an awful situation and something that many CP'ers worry may happen to us one day. There should be laws to protect us from this kind of neglect from so called doctors.

Please keep looking for a solution and I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I will keep my fingers crossed that you are able to get in to see that other doctor tomorrow, right now I think that is your best bet.

Sammy had a good idea about the methadone, I am on it for pain and it works really well, but I think you need a referral, you can't just walk in off the street. So if this doesnt work out with the doctor tomorrow, you could try the ER and ask for a referral to the methadone clinic, even if they insist on labling you an addict, they should have no problem with the referral.

That will buy you some time to look for a new PCP that will work with you and communicate with you instead of just running out leaving you high and dry.

Hang in there, maybe someone from your area can help out too.

~Fabby

Old 07-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrashamx View Post
I think they call this Patient abandonment and doctors can get into a lot of trouble with the lisencing boards over it.
YES! And when you go to the ER or other Docs, I would make sure I mentioned something about it (in general terms). It may get someone's attention. I would plead, beg, or whatever for help. It's your only option @ this point besides the mental ward as mentioned earleir. Can you call someone @ your state medical board...Report him, and then see if they could help?

Can the office give any information as to when he'll return? What do they say?

Quote:
I am shocked that your doctor took off without telling you in advance, and without leaving something in place for you to get your meds in his absence.
YES! This is so irresponsible of him...Especially re: any of his PM patients.

You haven't given much detail as to the "covering" Doc....Is he in the same office, or across town? If in the same office, I would make an appt immediately as your records are there. If not, go get a copy of your records from the nurses, office people, or whoever is there, and take them to whoever is covering...Make an appt....Or take them to the ER. Keep trying. You never know....You may get another ER Doc, or if you have your records, they may script you something until you can get in to see a PM Doc. Maybe once they see your records, they will script you something and then refer you.

You have to put yourself in their position....You're coming in off the street telling them you have 80mg of OC and their supposed to take your word for it. Get documentation....It can only help. Meanwhile, I'd go ahead and make an appt with a PM Doc even though they can't see you immediately....You've got to see a Doc eventually and you need to go ahead and get on the books somewhere.

Good luck.

Ex

Old 07-02-2008, 06:58 AM   #15
(female)

hurtinggrandma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123dietdrpepper View Post
Hey, we are neighbors. I am your neighbor. Are you on Kaiser by chance?

Have you gone to Prince William Hospital or Fairfax?
first i went to fauquier then prince william, prince william is the one that offered to put me in mental ward until my doctor returns. unfortunately he won't be writing pain scripts anymore when he does return in three more weeks. i haven't tried fairfax my husband said i should.

Closed Thread