It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
Cymbalta vs. Effexor for pain management

Greetings:

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with Effexor vs. Cymbalta for pain management. I have been successfully treated for depression with Effexor XR for years. Now that I have to worry about pain management, I am wondering if Cymbalta would be a better anti-depressant choice instead of the Effexor. Since Effexor and Cymbalta are similar, I wonder if there is even any additional benefit in Cymablta. My PM doc encouraged me to talk to my psychiatrist about it. Has anyone taken each of these medications? Cymbalta is the only other anti-depressant I will consider. Any experiences to share?

Old 07-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Jack24 HB User
Re: Cymbalta vs. Effexor for pain management

I can offer a little experience. I have a smattering of depression as it relates to chronic pain. Before I started with the pain thing, I didn't have depression. The first doc I saw put me on a trial of Cymbalta. Knocked me on my keister. I mostly lay in bed till it wore off. Months later, another doc started me on Effexor XR. I had much better results with it. From what I understand, both aere good for the nerve pain part of chronic pain as well as depression. Effexor is marketed (by the manufacturer) to help with anxiety as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

On paper, these two drugs are nearly identical.

Blew my mind when I read the prescribing instructions just now. They are both potent re-uptake inhibitors of serotonin and norepinephrine, and weak re-uptake inhibitors of dopamine.

The only difference that I see is that Cymbalta's parent company has been allowed by the FDA to advertise that the drug is indicated for neuro pain in both diabetes and fibromyalgia as well as for depression and anxiety. Effexor is an anti-depressant but does not claim to be able to relieve pain. Given how similar they are, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that at some point Effexor also claims pain relief as one of it's benefits.

For now, they both look like excellent ADs. And Cymbalta is additionally indicated for neuro pain of diabetes and fibromyalgia.

I take Cymbalta and have done very well on it for depression. My chronic pain is muscle/skeletal and arthritic, and I believe the Cymbalta has helped with my pain as well.

steve

Old 07-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
(male)

gregar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces1 View Post
Greetings:

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with Effexor vs. Cymbalta for pain management. I have been successfully treated for depression with Effexor XR for years. Now that I have to worry about pain management, I am wondering if Cymbalta would be a better anti-depressant choice instead of the Effexor. Since Effexor and Cymbalta are similar, I wonder if there is even any additional benefit in Cymablta. My PM doc encouraged me to talk to my psychiatrist about it. Has anyone taken each of these medications? Cymbalta is the only other anti-depressant I will consider. Any experiences to share?
I was put on Effexor for mild depression 6 or 7 years ago. I had some very bad (almost allergic like) side effect and was taken off. The funny thing is a couple years later I was diagnosed with ADD and the meds they give me help take away my depression! My chemistry most be really messed up.

Anyway,

My doctor tried me on Cymbalta for my back pain and it worked very well, better than the oxycontin does that I'm taking now. But it also had very bad side effects and when I say bad I mean scary bad. Every kind of mental problem someone could be prescribed Cymbalta for I got, including some that the doctor was just completely shocked by. I was seeing things that weren't there like people at work were walking around with big evil Joker smiles and I was so paranoid that I had crawled under my desk to hide from people (my boss found me and wanted to take me to the hospital but I talked him into just taking me home where I called my doctor and he had me stop taking it).

So, if the Effexor is working for you with no side effect then maybe the Cymbalta would work for the depression and help with pain too.

Last edited by gregar; 07-07-2008 at 12:20 PM.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
(female)

starissa HB User

hi there, i have anxiety so i take celexa every day. I also have cronic pelvic pain and one doctor put me on effexor for it and omg did it trigger my anxiety bad. I only took it for less then a week and was almost bed ridden from the anxiety i got. Now my dad takes cymbalta for depression and restless leg syndrome and it has done wonders for his rls.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregar View Post
...a couple years later I was diagnosed with ADD and the meds they give me help take away my depression! My chemistry most be really messed up...
gregar,

I am so glad your depression was helped by the ADD meds. But it doesn't surprise me in the least.

My wife has become a self-taught expert on ADD and ADHD, and Adult ADD. And I've picked up quite a bit just by listening to her and reading her materials.

So many people with ADD self medicate, taking street drugs or whatever, knowing instinctively that something is missing. Many of these folks settle on crack or some other stimulant, and find they feel so much better. Essentially, the ADD meds, or the other stimulants, replace something the brain is missing, creating more balance. In turn, this newfound balance goes a long way towards relieving some of the worst symptoms, one of which can be severe depression.

So it doesn't surprise me at all that your ADD med helped clear-up your depression. Good for you.

steve

Closed Thread