It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
(female)

10sox HB User
Neurontin and ID bracelet?

I just started Neurontin (sp?) a few weeks ago and happened to see a little label affixed to the side of my prescription bottle. It says to always wear a medical ID bracelet while taking this medicine?

Does anyone know why?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User
Re: Neurontin and ID bracelet?

I just looked at my information that comes with my prescription of neurotin and it says at the very end:

Medical Alert: Your condition can cause complications in a medical emergency and gives a number to call to enroll in a program..

In drug interactions says that it can affect the results of certain lab tests for urine protein.. Make sure laboratory personnel and your doctors know you take this med...

Sorry I can't be of more help... Jenn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Neurontin anti-seizer medication and that is why has to be monitored.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
(female)

nchantng HB User

Neurontin is used for several medical conditions, including neuropathic pain and to control partial seizures. It is important not to stop taking Neurontin, or any anticonvulsant suddenly as you risk experiencing a seizure. This could be a very serious side effect to stopping the medication if you were in an accident and unable to communicate what meds you were taking and therefore had to stop taking your Neurontin/Gabapentin suddenly. A medical ID bracelet or card for your wallet is a good idea.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Interesting. I have one because of a severe life threatening allergy to Neurontin. I personally think it is a good idea for all cpers to have an id bracelet.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I take Neurontin as part of my BiPolar regime and neither my pdoc nor RX bottle say anything about wearing an ID bracelet, but now am going to check into it.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

I wear a medical bracelet that says to see my wallet card. When I first filled out the card, I was very meticulous stating what meds I was on, allergies to meds, what meds not to give (since I'm opioid depenedent and may not be able to say anything if unconscious). After I spent quite a while writing all this out, my husband made a comment.

He said "what if somebody steals your wallet (I carry a clutch purse...basically a big wallet but with more room, ladies, you know what I'm trying to describe) and then they (thieves) know exactly what meds you are on, what you have at home, and where you live". He knows how paranoid I am about people knowing what meds I have. Like I stated in another thread, nobody knows what meds I'm on/have at home except my PM doc, hubby, and parents.

I never thought about that. I was just trying to be "prepared" in case of some accident. All I need is to be seriously injured or unconscious for some reason and get slammed with some Narcan. My husband (and some EMT friends have all said that if I'm unconscious and not responding and they don't know why, they are going to give me either Narcan, D-50 (dextrose for low blood glucose), or the antagonist drug for benzo's (Xanax, Valium, Ativan, or Klonopin....I can't think of the benzo antagonist drug right at the moment).

So, I revised my "wallet card" to just contact my PM doc by his cell phone number and not to give me any type of narcotic antagonists. I don't know how much good this will do, but it gives me some piece of mind.

Last edited by friendly_one; 07-08-2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread