It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
hydrocodone vs. oxycodone

I need to ask my doctor for stronger break-through meds next time I go in (3 weeks). Right now all I have is Vicodin 5/500 (hydro). When I have bad pain, I am getting very little pain relief from this dose (x2). By the 3rd hour, I am in as much pain as before I took it. Before I had surgery in January, I took Percocet 5/500 (x2), and it seemed to last much longer than the Vicodin, without added side effects. I guess I am going to ask either for an increase to the 7.5/500 Vicodin, or Percocet or straight oxycodone instead of the Vicodin.

I think oxycodone is stronger than hydrocodone, but I don't know what the exact comparison is. Does anyone know this? Based on your experience, would you go to the higher dose hydro, or just try to switch to the oxy?

I also know that oxycodone is more restricted than hydrocodone. Does anyone know what the specific regulations are that I need to be prepared for?

Old 07-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
Re: hydrocodone vs. oxycodone

Does anyone have any advice? I'm so new to this....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I am sorry you are not getting an answer on this and wanted to say I can't help you but you might check with a pharmacist.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

In general, Oxycodone is 1.5 x of Hydrocodone. Some say 2.0. Hope this helps and is the answer you're looking for.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces1 View Post
...I also know that oxycodone is more restricted than hydrocodone. Does anyone know what the specific regulations are that I need to be prepared for?
Go with Ex's estimate.

As far as regulations go, oxycodone is a Schedule II drug in the US, while hydrocodone is Schedule III. Schedule II drugs are controlled more rigidly than those in Schedule III. Oxy cannot be called in by your doc, except in dire emergencies. It requires a written script each month, as there are no refills.

If you lose, or have an oxy prescription stolen most docs will not replace them. Nor will they usually write another script if you run out early.

Hope this helps.

steve

Old 07-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
(female)

thesouth1980 HB User

I would try to stick with the hydro as much as possible. I became immune to the hydro, so doc gave me oxy, but now am immune to that too. I think if you up it to oxy, you will have minimal relief if any in the future as far as pain meds.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesouth1980 View Post
...I think if you up it to oxy, you will have minimal relief if any in the future as far as pain meds.
I have to disagree.

There are a number of other opioids available to use for BT meds, and since each person is different, sometimes even the weaker ones work better for someone than the stronger ones.

Going to oxy will not limit future opportunities for pain relief. Oxy is not that far up the ladder of opioids.

steve

Old 07-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

It's also important to note that although one may become more tolerant....In this case Oxycodone, the dose can be increased accordingly. With Oxycodone for example, some PM Docs would argue that there isn't a ceiling.....Thus, you could keep increasing the dosage to get the desired pain fighting effects.

My pharmacist said once that he has a couple of patients who are on extremely high levels of Oxycodone.....For example 80mg 4 to 5 times per day. Obviously, these patients didn't get to this level overnight....Took many, many years, even decades, to build up.

Ex

Old 07-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
(female)

Reyne HB User

I had to switch from hyro to oxy because hydro was tearing my stomach up. I have been on oxy for almost 2 yrs, daily and never had to increase my dosage or strength.

I know everyone is different but this is just my experience with it.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
(female)

gramakittycat HB User
Post Re: hydrocodone vs. oxycodone

**REMOVED***
I have taken vicodan,lortab same meds just different names for hydro with tylenol and they come in different strenths ie 5/500,7.5/500 etc.Oxycodone is hydocodone but without the tylenol.It too comes in different strengths.The problem is the amount of tylenol ingested in a daily 24 hour period;4,000mg. is the maximum . So if you take ,for example ,2 of the 5/500 every 6 hours you've taken your maximum limit of tylenol.Taken in a greater amount and you run a risk of liver damage from the tylenol.I went to oxycodone almost 5 years ago and still have'nt had to have the dose increased.I do admit though that I am never totally pain free but I am not at a point where an increase is justified.As I consider myself to hpefully have a number of years yet, I don't want to increase until I absolutley must.My diabeties already makes me dose off at times(can't wait till I get my pump)so I need be as alert as I can each day.Sorry to run on so but being mostly homebound with only friends being my feline ones.....God bless you all,Sincerely,Susan

Last edited by Mod08; 07-19-2008 at 05:58 PM.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

...oxycodone is hydrocodone without the Tylenol...

Susan

Susan, I'm sure you didn't intend to write this - probably a typo.

But for everyone else, oxycodone and hydrocodone are two different drugs. Hydrocodone is always combined with either Tylenol or ibuprofen, with many various levels of both the hydro and the Tylenol or Ibuprofen. The most hydro available in one tablet is 10mg. The amounts of tylenol or ibuprofen varies from 325mg to around 750mg per tab. If you go to a compounding pharmacy you can get more than 10mg of hydro per tab, but that makes it a Schedule II drug with different prescribing rules.

Oxycodone is a Schedule II drug about 50% stronger than hydro. It comes combined with tylenol or ibuprofen, or all by itself as a short-acting opioid. It also comes in a long-acting formulation called OxyContin.

steve

Closed Thread