It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User
Pain regarding long car trip?

Hey there everyone, as far as pain from riding a long distance to a specailist any tip on how to stay comfortable?
Love, monkey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Pain regarding long car trip?

Hey Monkey, First, lots of pillows. All shapes and sizes if you have them. I have 4 that I use all of the time when riding for an hour or more. If you have any of the memory foam ones they are great. Also, wear the most comfortable clothes you can (without looking like you are wearing PJ's). Make sure you have your days worth of meds handy and water or juice or something to drink. Other than that, all I can think of would be to stop often, if you can and stretch a bit.

Hope this helps. Take care, CMP/MM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

You have received great advice. I purchased a car adapter which plugs into the car cigarette lighter and it has an outlet so that I can plug in my heating pad. I also put ice packs in the cooler that I can pull out.

The most important tip is to stop frequently and stretch. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpgirl View Post
Other than that, all I can think of would be to stop often, if you can and stretch a bit.
Cmpgirl is right....Stop often to stretch and give your body a break. I know it slows down the trip, but it's a necessary evil. Otherwise, you will cramp up & etc.

Good luck.

Ex

Old 07-21-2008, 12:28 AM   #5
(female)

cherish1 HB User

The only thing that sort of works for me is to stop almost every hour and let me walk. I'm not the best at keeping track of how long it has been and usually someone will say "Isn't it time to stop and walk mom?" lol
3/21/06 - L5-S1 fusion w/o inst.
12/21/05 - Lam/Disc. L5-S1.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

I really suffer on long car drives. I also can't take my pain meds while I drive as I feel like I am going to nod off or fall asleep. I DON'T feel the effects of my oxycontin any other time except when I am driving, its a real issue for me. So my pain is extra painful for me. I just grin and bear it and try to take a lot of breaks. i don't have any other suggestions for you as its the nature of being a CP patient, it hurts when I drive more than an hour.

I suppose a nicer car would help me as I drive a hyundia and the seats are not great for long car rides. I find that if I take my truck which is a lot nicer my back hurts a LOT less. I think a lot has to do how comfortable your seating is in your vehicle.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions , you all help so much!
Slippery, yes thats exactly how it is for me, it never seems to matter when i drive my car it always makes it ten times worse and then if i drive my truck i am not near as bad. PT said it was like you said more posture something or other the position of it. Unfortunately for me i onlydfrive the truck in winter because it makes me feel safe as i am Agarobhobic and add the anxiety long story short, i am a wimp in the winter lol. So i have to drive my car all the time do to gas prices. The PT gave me some tips with it but it hasn't helped so i just bear and grin it! I found out Friday after a long day that my Lyrica they started on isn't helping. I started on the two doses a day after that as they wanted to see how i tolerated it as far as drowsiness effects and such and i was okay so i started the second dose and no effect yet but i am sure i will have to wait a week to see that effect as well. I seem to be an unlucky one as i find that if it doesn't make me goofy and have the wierd effect it doesn't work and i can't take anything as i kids like that so i have to grin and bear alot!
I also have one somebody said one about touchy nerve pain now down my leg. It's like if you barely touch it in this one spot i will scream and i did when my son accidently touched that area to only find me screaming ouch! And if you touch my toes in thay area it's very painful. I am supposed to call today to reschedule my PT but i am very worried as they are the ones who tried to make my piriformis muscl ebetter only to find they themselves knew it caused me a great deal of pain so i don't know where i am going with that, i want relief not torture! I am a mess! There has been some advantages with it and nonadvantages. Should i just wait to see what the specilaist says or recommends? I have already did three months of therapy straight no misses in the past and they will have that it didn't resolve the issue? Sorry so long, but don't have to many to talk to around home life as hubby has been working! Oh, one last thing, yeah we are getting the washer/dryer upstairs this week, thier coming today and the dryer will be hooked up, have to wait for the washer yet but it's getting there!
Love, monkey

Old 07-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

I cant give you anymore advice than you already have got............. I suffer big time in the car. After 1 hour I am so so sore. I do get out and walk for 5-10min, then I get sorer from walking. Cmpgirl said about pillows etc., I find the heat wraps are good sometimes. But I am just wondering does anyone find driving better than been a passenger? Just wondering if we drove would be find it better. Sorry Monkey I get the impression that you are driving and you are sore, but just wondering do you think you would be better or worse if you didnt drive, and be a passenger. I might give it ago on our next trip.

I wish there was some other way to travel.... if only there was a bed that would fit into a car............. what relief we would get.

Round1

Old 07-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

pepper, how do you do this? I have a heating pad but it has a regular plug on it. I have a cigerette lighter and plug in for like games ect? I can ask my neighbor whom i bought the truck from as well. I don't drive the truck normally but it is the most reliable so we will be taking it for the trip!
Love, monkey

Old 07-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Rond1, i totally agree, wish there were another way! I will not be driving thanks goodness! I find it is worse ithier way but a little better with someone else driving as i can change positions easier i think is what helps! I haven't ever drove or riden more than like 35 minutes so an hour even not sure how i will feel! I hope not too bad!
Love, Monkey

Old 07-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Monkey and Round1, I think for most people I have talked to and definitely for myself, being a passenger is much better than driving. As Monkey said, it gives you a lot more flexibility to move around, as opposed to sitting in pretty much one position while driving. I find myself "shifting" my body weight frequently during a car ride.

Also, Monkey......you can buy an adapter at most places that sell electrical supplies, for the cigarette lighter. If, for some reason, you cant find one then you can always buy the ThermaCare heat wraps instead. They heat up very nicely and stay warm for up to 10-12 hours and you can wear them under your clothes. If you need to take them off, for a bit and put them back on, make sure you fold or roll them up so they don't lose the heat too quickly.

Hope the trip goes well. Please post back when you are back home and let us know how everything went, OK? Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 07-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Go to a place like best buy or radio shack, you can buy a conversion unit that stick in the cigaratte lighter -- it is a square box that has regular outlets in it so you can plug the heating pad in the outlet. Hope this makes sense.

I love mine and used it the entire trip.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Hi there, Just wondering do any of you know about a turtle pillow? I got an email from a CP buddie today (she lives in the states) and she was saying about her weekend etc., (she also had a fusion a year ago, 1 month before me, so we met thru pain !!) she was telling me that at a family get together a cousin who also suffered with his back had this turtle pillow and said it was his mircale, he swore by it. I just quickley looked it up, she said she has ordered one after using his at the weekend. So I am dying to hear what she thinks about it. She is someone that wont beat around the bush saying, yeah its okay....... but. It either is good or it isnt.

Just wondering have any of you heard about it? Sorry I cant give you my opinion as I never heard of it, but since we are all trying to make travel abit easier it might be worth taking a look.

Round1

Old 07-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

If you get some of the pillows that have the beads in them they are great for the back as far as adjustments go. We just got back from New Orleans - 2 days down and 2 days back. Not a picnic for sure, but I made it with the Pillows and a couple of towels along. They are great for rolling up to shove against spots that just need some extra uummpphh. it seems that there are times that pillows get too big but a towel will be firm enough to fit in a spot. And it makes a sling that you can use to pull against and that helps sometimes also.

We have a Pacifica and a Town and Country. We took the Town and Country this time and I prefer that to the Pacifica. The seats give me much better support and I can stand up right out of the car-which makes the walking aorund easier when we stop. The seats lay back flat and that helps also.

I took plenty of ice and bags and that helps when the heat has gone beyons where I want to be...The cars get warm in the afternoon even with the AC. So I freeze washclothes in zip lock bags before we leave. Leave them deamp, folded in 4th, 1 per sandwich bag, lay flat in freezer. Put in cooler when frozen. They are great for forheads, hot spots leave in bag or take out and use to wipe off or whatever.....

Closed Thread