It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
(female)

cherish1 HB User
Question re: prescriptions and different states/docs/update

I am getting myself all worked up and am trying to calm down. Saw the new neurosurgeon today in our new area and just did not go well and I did not like him. (He implied my formers doctors are idiots and I am not in enough pain to warrant the SCS.) He was supposed to take the referral from my previous ns and move forward with the SCS trial. But, I guess that isn't his protocol and he is sending me to pain management first (I guess to PROVE my pain levels, I don't know. What the heck happened to the referral????????). I was just in tears - not knowing if this is a good thing or a bad thing. (I have never been in pain management before.)

My new family practice doc here said at my appointment a few weeks ago that all the pain management docs in my area want to do is inject inject inject and he has nowhere he can send patients who just need meds, not ESI's, etc. (Or he would have sent me to one - he is uncomfortable handling my pain meds long term.) He said they get $1000 a pop for each shot, but piddle for writing prescriptions.

So to not confuse anyone I will try to spell this out:

I lived in a rural small town until last month.

My previous (much-loved) neurosurgeon lived in the closet "civilization" which was 2 hours away and in a DIFFERENT state. (Let's say State #2)

We moved in June to another state (let's say State #3), which is 4 hours away from previous small town and 8 hours away from previous neurosurgeon.

The plan was that if this referral didn't go well, we would just go back to neurosurgeon in state #2 and have the procedures done. Don't know how that will work with hubby's new job and all, but he is not concerned in the least. Let alone the long car travels, the 2 day SCS trial, etc. Hubby says to let him worry about that. I will.

My worry is the actual pain meds I take. When we first moved here, I got a new family practice doc who wrote me 1 month worth of meds - Oxycontin ER 10mg 2 X day, Soma 3X a day and Ambien, once a day. This was to help in the interim until I established with the new NS.

Can my neurosurgeon or any doc in State #2 write pain prescriptions for me living in another state? He never had before - just let my family practice doc in small rural town prescribe pain meds. Since it was a 4 hour round trip (previously) it never made sense to go to him for the pain meds as well.

My pain management appointment here State #3 is Wednesday morning at 9am. If I go to them and all they want to do is injectables, I will not use them, which I'm sure will go over really well (not). That probably means they will also not give me any pain meds (I have about a week and a half left before I need a refill.) I am usually a glass half-full girl but today's appointment and the gruff treatment of this new ns has triggered my emotions.

Might be able to get another month out of my new family practice doc, BUT long term, could my neurosurgeon (or any doc he sends me to) in State #2 handle my pain meds? Is that a DEA red flag or anything? It just seems like I read somewhere that it would cause a problem.

I am really praying that this post was written in a coherent manner and that you don't have a headache trying to figure it out!!

Thanks SO much,

Cheri
3/21/06 - L5-S1 fusion w/o inst.
12/21/05 - Lam/Disc. L5-S1.

Last edited by cherish1; 07-21-2008 at 04:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
Re: Question re: prescriptions and different states/docs/update

Sorry to hear about your appointment. It is so hard when Drs act like they are in disbelief of the level of pain you are reporting. I dread seeing Drs now for this very reason.

I do think there is a problem with the doc in state #2 prescribing meds for you to take (or possess, or fill?) in your new state, as he/she is not licensed in your state to practice medicine. I could be totally off here. I'm just stating what I remember reading on this board. Someone else here should be able to answer your question with more certainty.

I really hope you figure something out and don't run out of your meds.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherir View Post
My new family practice doc here said at my appointment a few weeks ago that all the pain management docs in my area want to do is inject inject inject and he has nowhere he can send patients who just need meds, not ESI's, etc. (Or he would have sent me to one - he is uncomfortable handling my pain meds long term.) He said they get $1000 a pop for each shot, but piddle for writing prescriptions.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Please see my post under the thread "Help please" started by RGEISSLER. I would see about getting a good GP to treat your pain. If you really like your new one who said he's uncomfortable with pain meds, plead with him and tell him what you've learned about some of these PM Docs. Someone has to treat you. I guess if need be, you could search out a new GP.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 07-21-2008 at 09:29 PM.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

I live in a metropolitan area where the state line runs pretty much down the middle. It's pretty common for someone to have a Dr that is in the other state. I have in the past gotten prescriptions for pain meds from a Dr. in state #1 and filled them in state #2. That was a few years back and was for an acute problem, but around here I don't think anyone even thinks twice about it. You might want to call your pharmacy and talk to the pharmacy manager to see if this is possible in the state you are living in now.

Tigg.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I think that it could work. If anything, you and your neuro could set up something with a nice pharmacy by your neuro in the other state. There would have to be alot of cooperation between them and planning, but they could fill your scripts, then mail them to you. Or your neuro could mail your scripts to you, and you could fill them where you are. I think either of these plans depends on finding a good, helpful pharmacy.

I wish you all the best. Don't let this one doc get you down. I know it's hard. I have been there, many times. Now, it is hard for me to even meet a new doc without a chip on my shoulder and rearing to fight. I just EXPECT them to be jerks. I learned alot over the last few days with what I was going through. What hurts the most, is the feeling of helplessness. Don't give your power away. It is so eays to get beaten down, but keep asking yourself, "are my health problems my fault? do I deserve to live like this"? The answer of course is NO. Don't let them treat you like a second class citizen because you have health problems. That's ridiculous, and don't ever feel bad about not taking it.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you find answers soon!

Your Friend,

Amanda

Closed Thread