It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
(female)

Deppsmuse HB User
how long does it take for Lyrica to affect nerve pain

how long does it take for Lyrica to affect nerve pain

Old 07-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: how long does it take for Lyrica to affect nerve pain

Hello Deppsmuse, Welcome to the board.

I haven't taken Lyrica, but have taken other similar meds, for nerve pain. (Neurontin/Gabapentin, etc.) I know with these types of meds, it generally takes a few weeks (sometimes 3-6) for them to reach full potential. That being said, I would think you should be able to see some change in about 1-2 weeks.

There are people here who have all different types of pain and pain issues, so let us know a bit more about yourself and your pain, if you don't mind.

Don't know if my answer was any help, but I'm sure many others who take Lyrica or have taken it, will be able to help more. I just wanted to say welcome and please don't hesitate to post often. CMP/MM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

You should see "some" difference in a bout a week or so. Of course Lyrica is usually started at a "low" dose and then titrated up. At the beginning dose there is usually not much pain relief seen. However once you hit 150mg and above you should definitely see some kind of relief. The maximum dose is usually 600mg/day (which is the dose that I personally take). However, the side effects usually become a lot worse at doses about 300mg/day. You have to weigh the benefits vs. the side effects. Let us know how it works out for you and if you see relief. Welcome to the boards as well.

brian

Old 07-28-2008, 03:04 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Marywoo HB User

Hi,i just wanted to tell you that although i resisted taking the lyrica because i was afraid of the side effects but it definately helped my nerve pain,i think it took a couple of weeks you have to give it a chance my pain felt like there was a hatchet stuck in my back right near the left shoulder blade thought i had a lung problem,but the lyrica has made that much more bareable and i had none of the side effects,it also allowed me to sleep through the night,please give it a chance i wish you the best . marywoo

Old 07-28-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
(female)

Deppsmuse HB User

[B]Arggh! I just typed out a long reply and lost it
Thanks to everyone for their kind welcome and replies.
I have had problems with a very sore, burning coccyx and burning legs and feet for 15 months now. My very long marriage broke down and despite trying my hardest to make things work out, I can't as my husband suffers from periodic anxiety/insomnia/panic and is wilfully argumentative. I noticed my coccyx is much worse when arguing so I have moved out of my home. Home is everything to me so it's hurt me tremendously to do this though I am lucky to have found a nice little house to rent. Regarding my coccyx problem, I have done just about everything and spent about £1500! to date on pills, potions, lotions, anaesthetic creams and sprays, cushions, reflexology which is wonderfully relaxing but didn't help me to sit, hypnotherapy which I use to get off to sleep, osteopathy which didn't hurt but left me feeling sore, and one dose of acupuncture - arrrgghhh!! - which disabled me for 6 days! I went to the Pain Clinic at my local NHS hospital and the doc there told me I should be in Neurology! He told me to have a lower lumbar epidural (which might not work!) in September. I thought in the meantime I would spend a bit more cash and see a Neurologist privately. He says to have a MRI scan to rule out, or rule in, any physical cause, and he prescribed me Lyrica which he said was one of his 'favourite pills'. I am only taking 25mg 3 times a day and tolerating it very well, though I note this is a low dose according to other posts here. I am the impatient kind (well, it has been 15 months) and was hoping it would have a quick effect on me, but I see it can take a while for it to work. I hope it does as I have tried Amitriptylene and another anti-depressant which I couldn't tolerate, and Gabapentin which I must have been allergic to as I had blisters on my mouth and swollen ear canals.

Once again, thanks to everyone for trying to help. I look forward to any advice anyone can give me.

Jill

Old 07-28-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Hi Jill. When did you start the 25mg 3x/day? That is a low dose to start. I started at 75mg 2x/day and I am now up to 150mg 3x/day. My doc said I would need just a few days to titrate up. I felt some pain relief within a couple of days. I do think it is a good medication. I have very few, if any, side effects.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:36 AM   #7
(female)

Deppsmuse HB User

I only began taking them last Thursday so am VERY impatient, eh? I will ask my GP if I can up the dose if I don't feel beter within a couple of weeks. Thanks for your very encouraging reply. Jill

Closed Thread