It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
(female)

MorganLeFey HB User
Hello! New here question about PM and Prolotherapy

Hi all!

I have had 6 knee surgeries (3 on each knee). They were never able to fix the problem. Now on my good days I hobble around with a cane, and on the bad days I can barely get around.

I have been in PM for a little over a year now. Still trying to get the pain under control. My PM Dr. keeps pushing Prolotherapy (Regenerative Injection Therapy). Has anyone tried this? I really don't want to try it for a couple reasons. After being available for some 30 years its still considered experimental. That makes me a little nervous. The other issue I have is that it is not covered by insurance. And a $300 per injection and needing 6-8 injections per knee. That seems a bit pricey. Has anyone had any experience with this or heard anything good or bad about it?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
MorganleFey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Hello! New here question about PM and Prolotherapy

Hello, Welcome to the board. I haven't had personal experience with prolotherapy but know a few people who have. I have heard both ends of the spectrum. For some, it has helped and for others, it hasn't. I think it all depends on the person and the type of pain one has. We all respond differently to different treatments.

Have you explained to your doc that you have some real reservations? I can understand why you would. Some docs are very pro injection and some aren't. I know that as pain patients, we have the right to refuse a treatment for any reason we might have. If your doc is really pressuring you, or worse, withholding other treatment, then maybe it's time for a new PM doc.

I wish I could give you a better answer, but maybe there is someone here who has had personal experience, and can tell you more. Best of luck and please keep us posted. Take care, CMP/MM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User
Re: Hello! New here question about PM and Prolotherapy

So sorry that you are having such problems. I fell and had to have knee surgery in April....well the pain didn't go away...and the Dr. was surprised. In June I had a fusion of my SI joint....guess what....the knee pain, as well the my little toe and leg pain is GONE. The ortho. Dr. said that it was probably because the L4/5 nerve was being irritated in the SI joint area (sacrum..). I am thrilled that the pain is gone. Just wanted to see if you may also have a problem somewhere in your lumbar spine???

Sage

Closed Thread