It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User
Generic oxycodone IR.

I just picked up my RX'S for my oxycodone I use for B/T. I noticed they gave me a different brand this time. It says the manufacture is Mckrodt, I thought it was spelled Mallinkroft or something like that. I ususally take Amide which always worked quite well but they didn't have them. available

Is this a good brand to get? Just curious if they work for others as I hear you guys talking about crummy generics all the time.

I was one that had relief from the Teva brand of oxycontin as well now I am obviously on brand and I don't notice to much of a difference and I have been on them about 5 months now, maybe 6. (name brand)

Thanks in advance and I hope you are all having a low pain day, I know that my pain has increased dramatically and I don't know why. I normally don't need B/T meds daily but for the past 7 days I have had to use the max dosage per day which I don't like to do, which is (4) 5mgs a day and I am still in pretty bad pain. I am normally at a 4-5 pan scale with my meds but I have been at a high 7 -8 all week. I am much worse in the morning and it takes me hours to feel better, I can't even stand up straight for the first 2 hours upon awakening.

and my nerve pain is also through the roof effecting my foot and my buttocks and my leg. I am scared that this is going to be permanent , but hopefully I over did it and am just having muscle tightness and this will pass... its quite scary!!! this is just awful to live this way. This is how I lived every day for 2 years before I started on oxycontin and the Lyrica. It has given me my life back and I am so thankful to have this medication, I have been diagnosed with failed back surgery syndrome by 2 Dr's and I have nerve issues glaore and another bad hernaited disc that I will eventually need surgery for.

Being in pain sucks and I feel for you guys and for myself.

take care all, SS

Last edited by slipperyslope; 07-31-2008 at 02:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Generic oxycodone IR.

Yes that is the abbreviated form for Mallincrodt and they are notorious for ineffective products. That is the reason that you are having to take the max amount. I would make sure that they order the brand that you normally get next time.

brian

Old 07-31-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

SS, I have had bad luck with Mallinkrodt generics in the past and Brian is right. They have a rep for producing inferior products. I would definitely ask the pharmacy to make sure that they order your previous brand beofre next month's scripts.

I can so relate to the morning agony. No matter what increases I've had over the years, it has always been this way for me. I can't make plans or appointments for early morning. It just isn't possible. I have even stayed up all night before, for things that I've had no choice about. Sometimes it's just easier to come home and nap.

My next attempt at a secret weapon is to save up for a Tempur-Pedic mattress. I hope it will make a difference. I've heard really good things about them.

Hang in there. If you have to take all of your BT each day for this month, don't worry. If it's less effective, it won't be like building up a tolerance to a higher dose anyway. Take care and rest up. CMP/MM

Old 07-31-2008, 11:14 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

if you do a search on oxycodone you will see many replies. I agree, the Mallincrap is terrible. The Amide is no longer available right now. I think it has something to do with a company merger.

I actually emailed the FDA and this was their reply:
Amide has now changed the name of their company to Actavis and we understand that there are unavailability issues currently with some Actavis products. We would advise you to check with your pharmacist and physician regarding alternatives since the Actavis product is currently unavailable. Mallinckrodt reports their 30mg IR oxycodone (product code/NDC# 8530-01) is available and Ethex reports they will have the 30mg IR oxycodone tablets released on 7/25 (product code/NDC#0446-04). We do not have a date yet when the Actavis product will again be available.
-CDER Drug Shortage

Old 08-01-2008, 01:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I have found with this mallin stuff that it is inferior. One time a script can be junk and the next can actually be stronger. Unfortunately, my insurance company has a pharmacy right in there so I am stuck with what they use.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

I just called and found out that the pharmacy ordered Mallinkrodt. I just asked if they could order the essex instead. The head pharmacist has to approve ordering Essex, so I don't know if they will order the other brand for me now. I just asked if I could get the brand name this one time, mentioned the reputation of Mallin...since that is what they ordered. They made a big deal about ordering the other brand or even the brand name - said it would take a week. I'll have to hope this is a "stronger scrip."

The pharmacist denied that there could be a 20% variation in generics and said it had to be between 2 and 5 %. Just double checked on the web, and of course, EX's info on generics is correct - up to 20% variation. Also said that Mallikrodt was the best brand. Told me it would take a week to get brand or the other kind.

Last edited by Confused089; 08-01-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused089 View Post
They made a big deal about ordering the other brand or even the brand name - said it would take a week. I'll have to hope this is a "stronger scrip."

Also said that Mallikrodt was the best brand. Told me it would take a week to get brand or the other kind.
This is the reason why you MUST CALL THE PHARMACY AT LEAST 1 WEEK BEFORE YOU RUN OUT so that they can order the other brand for you.

Of course they said the Mallincradt brand was the best because it costs them the least and they make more PROFIT from it. They CAN NOT deny you other brands. If you are unhappy with the current pharmacy then go to a different pharmacy and usually the small private pharmacies will treat you better and have the better brands.

brian

Old 08-02-2008, 07:21 AM   #8
(female)

dawnie143 HB User

Hi,

Just my 2 cents again but I will not accept the Mallincrap Brand of medication for ANYTHING.

REMOVED

Anyway, I am with Brian on this, always call ahead to the pharmacy and make sure that they have the brand that works best for you. If the "Big Chains" don't want to work with you, the Mom and Pop Pharmacys are usually happy to, especially if you are a regular monthly customer. My PM contract says that I have to use the same pharmacy, but it's my choice as to which one.

Have a great day
Dawnie

Last edited by Mod08; 08-02-2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Please remember this board is for non-professional support - patient to patient.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Aver00 HB User

If my pharmacy does not have a brand I can use I always go to another pharmacy - I finally told my pharmacist that it may be the best but does not work for me soooo he orders Watkins which was great in the past - I do not use the IR anymore so I have no idea which ones are good - they just cannot argue with you when you tell them it is not a brand that aggrees with you - good luck darlin huggs Aver

Old 08-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
(male)

russell7676 HB User

You will be very SORRY if you select the Ethex brand over the Mallinkrot(sp?).

I have been in pain management for three years now and most of that time my BT med has been the Actavis brand 30mg. I was given the Ethex brand in June (30mg) and I had the worst pain in my three years of being in pain management. I missed over a week of work, left early several other days, and was pretty much confined to the bed for most of the month. Other patients of my physician also had similar experiences with Ethex.

When I went to pick up my scripts for July, the pharmacy had the Mallinkrot brand, so I was hopeful for some sort of improvement over the Ethex. To my surprise, the Mallinkrot brand was MUCH, MUCH better than the Ethex. I would say, in my opinion, it's about 80% as strong as the Actavis, while the Ethex was literally about 10%. I'm not kidding with that 10% figure. They were absolutely worthless.

This is just my opinion, mind you, but please be very careful about demanding that Ethex brand. You will be sorely disappointed and wish you had taken the others when you had the chance.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

ok, it sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat. Does anyone get the name brand Roxicodone? Is it available? My pharmacy says no but I'm going to ask them to order it for me.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

I had my doc appt today and asked him to please write "brand name medically necessary" and fortunately found a pharmacy that had the brand name Roxicodone in stock.
Thank goodness!
Those generic brands should not be allowed to sell their products-they ARE NOT the same. It is a medical, moral, ethical and financial ripoff.

Closed Thread