It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
(male)

gaston2 HB User
Sandoz brand vs mylan fentanyl patch

which stays on better when you shower?

Last edited by Mod08; 08-01-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
(female)

shananava HB User
Re: Sandoz brand vs mylan fentanyl patch

The Mylan Patch stays on me better. It has been more difficult during hot months but the Sandoz always gave me problems wrinkling up and corners coming up.
Shannon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I have to say that the Sandoz brand is much better than the Mylan brand for me. I say this based on how well it works and how much better pain relief it gives me.

Now when it comes to the sticking problems I have always used something to cover the patch so that they do not come off. There are many options to use but it is better to be overly protective then letting them come off and running out early.

I have posted before about ways to cover the patch:

1. Optifix Flexifix - this is what I currently use. It is an adhesive and comes on a roll where you can cut off what you need. It costs $30/roll and lasts me 5-6 months so pretty cost effective

2. Band Aid X-TRA TOUGH WATERPROOF - you can pick these up for $3/box and use however many necessary to cover the patch usually 5/patch. They stay stuck and are waterproof.

3. Johnson & Johnson Bioclusive covers - very expensive but I have heard stick very well

4. NexCare Tegaderm covers - usually run $8/box for a box of 6 and they can start to be very expensive but work well and can be bought at most pharmacies like CVS(they actually have their own generic brand) or Walgreens

Hope this gives you some useful info.

brian

Old 08-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

From everything I've read....I've done a ton of research as a patch wearer myself....The Mylan stick fairly well, but don't work well. The whole patch is a mass and the glue and med is all mixed together. Conversely, the gel filled have outer barrier around the edges of glue. Duragesic brand (Janssen) stick great....Janssen makes the Sandoz generic, but they use less quality glue and as a result, they don't stick as well.

I've heard the Watson stick better than Sandoz and they work better than Sandoz also.

Ex

Old 08-08-2008, 06:28 AM   #5
(female)

taxladyjudy HB User
Lightbulb Re: Sandoz brand vs mylan fentanyl patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
From everything I've read....I've done a ton of research as a patch wearer myself....The Mylan stick fairly well, but don't work well. The whole patch is a mass and the glue and med is all mixed together. Conversely, the gel filled have outer barrier around the edges of glue. Duragesic brand (Janssen) stick great....Janssen makes the Sandoz generic, but they use less quality glue and as a result, they don't stick as well.

I've heard the Watson stick better than Sandoz and they work better than Sandoz also.

Ex
My husband was using the mylan patch but I had to refill at wallgreens and they had watson. Because of the gel filled spot he began to break out from it. Only where the gel was not the glue. So we had to go back to mylan which I think work better. I also have to cover them to keep them on. We use covers we get from the hospital each month he goes for treatment. They are a clear cover used to cover ports or IV's.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:42 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Some people have reported minor allergic reactions to one brand or another. Quite frankly, I'm surprised more don't report it.....Given that something is stuck your skin 24/7.

That's an interesting note about having to use the covers....That's consistent with other feedback that says Mylan's don't stick very well.

Regards,

Ex

Old 08-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
(female)

taxladyjudy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Some people have reported minor allergic reactions to one brand or another. Quite frankly, I'm surprised more don't report it.....Given that something is stuck your skin 24/7.

That's an interesting note about having to use the covers....That's consistent with other feedback that says Mylan's don't stick very well.

Regards,

Ex
Ya but the watsons don't stick to him either. That is why we use the covers. I heard from the drugest that it happens to a lot of people their skin just rejects the patch for what ever reason. I find the Mylan by the third day are not working very well so Dr is trying 100mg to see if this will last longer.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Just wanted to mention that I read that it's important to use a cover like tegaderm and to avoid bandaids and other methods of keeping the patch on [I think this is b/c they can insulate the patch and make the spot hotter, causing it to give out more medication - that is a guess however]. I just know that you have to be careful what you cover it with. Ex,you may know more about this...

Old 08-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused089 View Post
Just wanted to mention that I read that it's important to use a cover like tegaderm and to avoid bandaids and other methods of keeping the patch on [I think this is b/c they can insulate the patch and make the spot hotter, causing it to give out more medication - that is a guess however]. I just know that you have to be careful what you cover it with. Ex,you may know more about this...
Yes, that is correct. Anything that increases "heat" with the patch, will cause it to release more med than usual. Not only will this cause more med than prescribed, but it will run out quicker.

I also wanted to add that most people have moved to a 48 hr schedule. When I was on the patch, it seemed to last about 60 hrs...Tops. The patch was first developed for end of life situations....All the test data was for patients who were sedentary. Thus, the patch tended to last 72 hours. The patch has since been approved for a broader label and is now used for all sorts of pain. Consequently, the patients are more active and as a result, metabolisms are higher, more heat builds up (in the body) and the patch doesn't work as long.

You may try asking your Doc about a 48 hr schedule. When the patch runs low, your BPL drops and then it takes about a day to get it back up....Results in too many "ups and downs."

Hope things improve for you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 08-11-2008, 03:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

tax had the same thing happen to me with the watson we did report it. Mylan works better for me. One i am not allergic to the glue or jell used and it stays on better rather it be heat or baths.
I know everyone reacts differently to different brands but the watson affected me within minutes .

Old 08-11-2008, 05:38 AM   #11
(female)

taxladyjudy HB User

Thanks I heard that too that you can change it 48 hours. I think because my husband is big he needs the more powerfull. I also notice it begins to fall off around 48 hrs. The cover I use is to cover I'v's or ports. They are called sorba view 2000 3 3/4 x 5 dressing with a window and white dressing around the outside. It does stick to the patch and the outside. Do you think this is OK and will not cause heat to build up. That is if you know what this cover is. The windo is a very thin pice of material.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:40 AM   #12
(female)

taxladyjudy HB User

You mentioned baths did you know that directions and cautions say not to take a bath or use heat pads while wearing the patch?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxladyjudy View Post
I think because my husband is big he needs the more powerfull. I also notice it begins to fall off around 48 hrs.
Yes, that is right...Another good reason to change @ 48.

Quote:
The cover I use is to cover I'v's or ports. They are called sorba view 2000 3 3/4 x 5 dressing with a window and white dressing around the outside. It does stick to the patch and the outside. Do you think this is OK and will not cause heat to build up. That is if you know what this cover is. The windo is a very thin pice of material.
That cover should work fine.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 08-11-2008 at 07:19 AM.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #14
(male)

chick 1 HB User

I cannot get Sandoz 100mg. patche's any place in Albany,NY I called 25 drug store's yesterday they all said the same thing they are manufacture back order i can't use the mylan pathe's they do not work for the pain and they make me break out they stick better than the sandoz but I founf out why they mix the gule and the fentnayl toghter last time I got them i had to bring them back my back was killing me they do not work

Old 01-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

What about the Duragesic brand? Can you find them? Watson is another good brand with very positive feedback.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread