It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Compounded Pain Meds, Some Helpful Facts

Hello everyone,
I have been wanting to start a thread about compound meds for some time and I thought today would be a nice change instead of posting about sad things.
Anyway, heres why I take them, and I visited with the compound manager today for a good 20 minutes, and got some really good info. Maybe it will help some of you, Im hoping it will.
I was on oxycontin 20 mg. A months worth of tabs [60] for me WITH insurance has been running me 312.00. Today I got 90 20 mg oxycodone IR caps for 39.00 with insurance.
If you are interested in compounding here are some things youll need to know about oxycodone. They cannot compound ANY strength of oxycodone that is sold as a regular drug. For instance, you cant get LA compounded oxy in the 20, 30, 40, ect. strengths because they already come in oxycontin. They have a patent or some regulation so that it cant happen. BUT you can get 25 mg, 35 mg, ect of the long acting. whatever strength isnt sold regularly.
As far as the instant release oxy, its the same thing...you can get 10, 20, ect, instant release, but not anything that is sold regularly.
I know its confusing, but I had no clue, and my doc wrote me a strength the first time and I drove for 2 hours to get it filled and it was wrong.
Make sure your doc talks to the pharmacist and they will come up with a plan for you.
Ive not run ito it with the hydro though. Just oxycodone. Also it works within 15 minutes for me. Super fast. When you think about it, it IS the purest form, and I just cant deal with the fillers and dyes. I even get my thyroid meds compounded.
Its also VERY inexpensive, and not many docs know about it. Mine was really open to it, because he is also into nat./holistic med as well.
Also the p[harmacist told me that with ANY long acting med, to be careful because if you eat FAT when you take the med it will make the med release faster.
If any of you have any questions about compounding, please ask. I think they work better, last longer, and are SO much more affordable for me.
My meds today for 180 tabs was 78.00.
Also once you compound hydro it cannot be called in...it raises it to the same level as oxy. so all scripts have to be hand written.
Now that my doc has raised my mgs., I already have felt better today, so Im sticking with this for the time being.
At the present Im on 20 mgs oxy three times daily with 20 mg hydro three times for BT. Im hoping it does the trick~
xoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 08-08-2008 at 10:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: Compounded Pain Meds, Some Helpful Facts

Hi Izzy,

What an informative thread.

Thank you so much.

I am SO GLAD you are getting some decent relief. This has sure been a long time coming, eh?

I have been benefitted by compounding pharmacies before too. The migraine preventative I was first prescribed was no longer made, so I went to a compounding pharmacy and they whipped it up for me right there. The only problem I had with it was that my insurance doesn't cover compounded meds. However, in this case, since the med was no longer made as a brand or generic, they made an allowance. But, if I wanted LA hydrocodone I'd be paying out of pocket. One reason that you can get compounded hydrocodone in any dose is because no one has an exclusive patent on hydrocodone at any dose. Those patents ran out years ago.

The OxyContin manufacturer has an exclusive patent/copywrite for LA oxycodone currently, ergo the problem with compounding doses already made by the OEM. But I didn't know you could get LA oxy in doses that the manufacturer does not make. That's great to know, because insurance just might cover it.

To me, the purity issue is the most compelling. The pharmacy I now use is a compounding pharmacy, and I have known them for years. Their lab is right in their main store, all enclosed in glass, and folks must wear protective gear just like in a semiconductor clean room. I enjoy watching them go about their business. The purity of their materials is absolute. They order perfectly pure hydrocodone, as I'm sure is done by your pharmacy as well. And that drug is used in the manufacture of their hydro compounds with nothing being added except for what it takes to ensure the LA mechanism works properly. Just like yours.

My only regret is the lack of insurance coverage. If if weren't for that, I would be getting some form of short acting fentanyl for BT pain. But I just can't afford it. As it is, I begin in a clinical trial next week comparing SA Fentora (fentanyl) with SA oxycodone for BT pain. I will report on the results to whatever degree the non-disclosure agreement allows.

Great thread Izzy.

steve

Old 08-08-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Compounded meds would be great, but most insurance will not pay for them. I know mine will not, even if that med is only available compounded, without insurance it gets VERY expensive. In addition the only compounding pharmacy within 30 miles is a Walgreens, not my choice for great service. My cost for my current pain med is $10, since I'm on a lot of meds for other things as well, I need to stick with what my ins will pay for.

Tigg.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
(female)

Wren9 HB User

Izzy, thank you so much for this informative post. I have always been interested in compounded meds. Before I found my current pain doctor, I used to get hydrocodone compounded 15/100 -- meaning, of course, it had 15 mg of hydrocodone and 100 mg of APAP (tylenol). It worked SO WELL -- WAY better than Norco (10/325) even at the same dose (30 mg dose).

I really don't know if my doctor is open to compounding. Being a pain management patient who is pretty lucky (finally) to have a good doctor and what most would consider "high" doses of Schedule II pain meds (methadone and Roxicodone) I am loathe to rock the boat. But I just remember how well those compounded hydrocodone worked for pain, and I wish I could get THAT for breakthru instead of the Roxicodone. Oxycodone works ok, but if I could get hydrocodone without the tylenol it would be better for me. I've also wondered about hydromorphone (Dilaudid), but I've heard so many times that it does not work well as an oral med due to very poor oral bioavailability (like 10%).

Maybe I will ask my doctor next time. The methadone works great for long-acting med, but I wish I could get something more effective for breakthru pain.

Which brings me to you Steve -- I'm so glad you posted here too. I would love to know what kind of outcome you have. Do you know if you will get Fentora or Oxycodone? Or is it blind? But it wonder if it could be blind since the medication is taken in different ways (one gets released into the oral mucosa and the other swallowed, right?) Please tell us what you can. Also, how do you get in the study? Did you read about it somewhere or is your doctor running it?

And I'd love to know what anyone else who's on methadone has used for a breakthru med, but I should probably start my own thread for that.

Thanks all,

Wren

Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Wren,

Please see a new thread I'm starting about BT meds for my reply.

steve

Closed Thread