It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
(female)

allieb HB User
what should I do?

good evening all,I could use a little advise.Ive been taking oxy80&oxy20 twice a day with norco for break through.My insurance will not pay for brand only generic.Since they are only selling brand oxy's I have to switch . I dont want to because this combo works pretty well. I take this for chronic back pain.Ive had 4 surguries and number 5 will be comming up soon.Anyone have any ideas for new medicine that works as well as the oxy's and come in generic.Thanks so much allie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: what should I do?

They just upped my oxy yesterday to 90 and anticipate that I will be moving to 120 mg. I was told that if that does not work our next move will be to methadone. Have your tried ms contin?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Allie, Sorry to hear about your issues. I hope this next surgery will help. I know there are many long-acting meds out there and what works for one may not work for another. But I was wondering if you had checked out any of the RX plans that you can purchase for a monthly or annual premium, on an independent level. (not through an employer)

Several pharmacies have literature at the pharm counter for these plans. I think with many, you can qualify, even if you have coverage through an employer plan. It may not be the cadillac of coverages, but along with your current insurance, it might make it more doable to stay with the meds you have now. Just a thought.

I understand what you mean about the higher co-pay. I have taken Oxy as my LA med for years and have had such good results, that I am hesitant to switch too. We tried to soften the blow this year by my hubby opening a flex medical spending account through work. Even though we have to pay the money into the account, it is spread out over the year and it is pre-taxed money, so it helps. We just use the card for all co-pays at the doc's office and the pharmacy. I don't know if that is available for you, but thought I'd mention it as another option.

Hope this helps a bit. Please let us know how it's going. CMP/MM

Old 08-13-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
(female)

allieb HB User

thanks for your replies.as far as my insurance goes I have medicare and this what I thought was great perscription insurance is great only if you use generic drugs..Next year at open enrollment I will have to find new insurance.Quiet honestly I dont trust my pm doctor to make this decision, I know that that sounds strange but she only writes what my old pm (who was the best) perscribed.I have only tried oxy and norco for breakthrough. I am at a loss.. any more ideas? thank allie

Old 08-13-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Allie,

I haven't ever taken any other LA med, so I can't give you any personal recommendations, but I know I've seen several people post about MS Contin, Methadone, Fentanyl, Avinza, Opana, etc., all of which are LA meds. If you do a search of this board (upper right side of the main page) I'm sure you'll find some good info on all of them.

There have been numerous threads about LA meds in general on this board. Some are pros and some cons, but they're very informative. Wish I could help more. I just don't have any experience with the others. Hopefully someone who has, will pop in and let you know. (I know with the new board added, we are all getting used to going back and forth)

Best of luck, CMP/MM

Closed Thread