It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Question concerning Percocet and Oxycontin

If one takes 10 mg. oxycontin, is it the same as taking 10-325 percocet except that the oxycontin does not have tylenol in it?

I want to make sure I understand this. Thanks.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

zfennel HB User
Lightbulb Re: Question concerning Percocet and Oxycontin

Oxycontin contains the same ingredient "oxycodone" as Percocet.
So you would be ingesting 10 mg of oxycodone either way,except with the percocet you would also be ingesting acetaminophen(tylenol).
Hope this helps,Have A Pain Free Night Everyone!!!
fennel

P.S.-Note That the oxycontin is time release and will release the medicine over a period of time and the percocet will release the medicine all at once.

Last edited by zfennel; 08-19-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Question concerning Percocet and Oxycontin

Thank you. I thought this was the case and just wanted to double check that I am understanding it.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Also, according to Purdue Pharma's white prescribing paper for Oxycontin, 10mg of OC 2 X day results in higher BPL than 10mg of Oxy IR every 12 hrs.

Regards,

Ex

Old 08-19-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

zfennel HB User

Thats interesting executor,I guess b/c the oc is time release and releases it over the course of a day and the IR's release them all at once giving the medicine time to leave the body faster.Basically so the medicine breaks in half alot faster if its released all at once...?
Thats just my guess.
Peace

Old 08-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Yes, that is the logic....The steady release keeps your BPL higher. The higher your BPL, the more med that's actually in your system. There has been some debate on this board as to the exact time release sequence, but in reality, it's immaterial. I've done a lot of research, and I mean alot, and I can't seem to nail down an exact explanation. In asking my Doc, he will relay what he thinks it is, or what the drug reps say, but in reality, I think it's a trade secret...Sort of like the secret sauce in a Big Mac, or the exact formula for Coca Cola.

The steady state BPL is what differentiates OC, or any time release med from any of the IR meds.

Regards,

Ex

Old 08-20-2008, 05:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Thank you so much for your input. I am trying to understand why my doc is so against percocet versus oxycontin and I want to make sure I am understanding it.

Both oxycontin and percocet contain oxycodone. The difference between oxycontin and precocet is that the oxycontin is long acting and percocet is short acting. The oxycontin is compounded with something to make it last longer.

If one takes 60 mg. oxycontin and one individual takes six 10/325 percocet, they are basically taking the same amount of oxycodone. The person taking the percocet has the added factor of tylenol. Correct?

Why would a doctor prefer that one would take one over the other?

*no tylenol in oxycontin therefore better for the liver
*oxycontin is long acting
*percocet gives an immediate release of medication

Does one need to worry about tolerance and running out of some place to go with long acting meds? I guess the advantage of short acting is that you can go to long acting?

Sorry for the dozen or so questions....Aren't you happy that you have a newbie here trying to understand it all?

Last edited by ms_west; 08-20-2008 at 05:35 AM.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:25 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123dietdrpepper View Post

Quote:
If one takes 60 mg. oxycontin and one individual takes six 10/325 percocet, they are basically taking the same amount of oxycodone. The person taking the percocet has the added factor of tylenol. Correct?
That would be correct.

Quote:
Some docs feel that the short acting meds are "easier" to abuse and that patients tend to develop tolerance to them more quickly.

Quote:
Does one need to worry about tolerance and running out of some place to go with long acting meds? I guess the advantage of short acting is that you can go to long acting?
Actually, it is just the opposite. Most people build tolerance much more slowly with long acting meds, than with short acting ones, because they are taken fewer times per day and stay in your system longer. I have seen many of our resident "med experts" here on the board, mention that in a way "the sky's the limit" with LA meds compared to SA meds. My PM doc has said the same thing. I think it is because there are fewer ingredients to cause negative side effects than SA meds. I'm sure someone else can clarify that for you (and me).

Quote:
Sorry for the dozen or so questions....Aren't you happy that you have a newbie here trying to understand it all?
Honestly Pepp, I think we are all "newbies" about some aspects, even when we've been at this a long time. I know I learn something new almost every day, and I've been doing this for 8 years! Hang in there, sweetie. You're doing a great job. Hugs and Prayers, CMP/MM

Old 08-20-2008, 06:38 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Quote:

Because of the "stigma" associated with writing a prescription for "Oxycontin." He probably feels more likely to raise red flags or whatever. Again, this is the difference between GPs and PM Docs. Your GP was under medicating you quite a bit....Your new PM Doc threw a bunch of meds @ you and give you some OC as "extras" for BT pain.

BTW, what is the situation now with your GP?

Regards,

Ex

Old 08-20-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Exec - I wish I could reach out and give you a bouquet of flowers or box of chocolate to thank you for all your help and taking the time to answer my questions. It is all very overwhelming but I think I am beginning to understand things a little better.

Yes, according to this doctor I was waaaaaaaaaaaay undermedicated and she does know how I have kept it together in this much pain for so long.

I am going to start a new thread giving an update on todays appt. in just a minute explaining her role in my care. I just received clarification on everything.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:12 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i just wanted to clarify something for you pepper. your scenerio in which one person took the 60mgs of oxycontin vs the one who took the 6 10/325s? while in theory,they would be 'getting' the same amount of oxycodone, the one who took the oxycontin would be getting it,but spread out over at least eight to ten hours,while the one who took the percs would be getting pretty much slammed with ALOT of oxycodone immediately. just wanted to point out that very big difference in just how dangerous that immediate release perc would be over taking the OC which would release over a much longer period of time,you know what i mean? thats just ALOT of oxycodone to have all at one time. there is also another form of oxycodone called roxicodone/oxy IR that is just plain oxycodone without any tylenol that also is another immediate release form of oxy. i just wanted to make certain that you understood your scenerio question,thats all. Marcia

Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

CMP thank you so much for answering the questions in such detail. I really, really appreciate all your feedback and help. I copied your response and sent it to my hubby so he would have a better understanding as well.

CMP, how is your increase working for you? Are you feeling better?

Let me know when you are ready to hit the town to celebrate. Just say the word.

------------
feelbad,

Yes I agree that is alot of oxycondone to be slammed with -- I was just trying to make sure that I understand the premise.

Marcia, do you take oxyontin too?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i think you got it pepper. and yes i am on oxycontin and have been since my spinal cord surgery back in 03. i started at my PM a few months after that surgery in like feb of 04?that is when we started upping my OC dosages til i was finally stabilized somewhat on 60-60-60. have had a few changes made but we haven' actually 'upped" ,my overall daily intake with the exeption of one added 20mg increase two years ago(morning was upped). sometimes just simply changing your dosing scehdule can really make a big difference in covering certain times of higher pain than at other times during the day.

back when my midday pain was the absolute worst time of my day,all they did was take 20mgs from my night time dose and put it on my midday which brought that one up to 80 and did lower my night to only 40mgs,but at that time,it was not a huge problem since just having my legs up with good neck support back then when i went to sleep was not a problem and i didn;t miss that extra 20 at all. now i am having problems with it,but it did well for a good while that way and i did not have to increase my daily amount(they are VERY paranoid about actually 'adding"to someones OC dosages,to the extreme at times)so for me,back then,it was a really good plan. now i am having alot of later in the day and sleep problems just from my pain from the rotator cuff repair,getting alot of deep bone pain(on top of my already messed up c spine issues),so we are trying to get that situated.

but sometimes just rearranging your doses to meet the worst times can really make alot of difference,with your PMs involvement of course.if there is anything you want to know hon,just give me a holler,K?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Diet,
thank you for a very interestening topic!

I am working for 3 years by now with my excellent PM Dr and very happy about my treatment. Becides he makes his own professional decisions on it, he always listens what I have to say and it plays an important role in my treatment as well.

At the moment I am on 20mg Oxy as LA every 8 hours. And I can take no more than 6 20mg of Percocet a day (my max limit), depends on a day.
Last time I saw him he asked me if I think I need to go higher on my LA of Oxy a day. I told him NO, I still can handle. I am very realistic person; I know that would be great if I could bring my every day pain to 5, but what price I have to pay with my tolerance? So instead I work on my body to be able to leave and enjoy my life at 6-7 every day. As I told many times before I do yoga (of course only what I can), meditation, tapes, positive outlook, enjoy family and friends, read a lot of books on how to handle your every day life with CP and so on...

I explained to him my reason. Yes, I leave with CP 24/7 and of course I want to leave with less pain like everybody else!!! Becides I have complications after my spinal fusions, I was dx lately with severe case of RA and MS. I am taking over 35 pills a day as is now, and it keeps going up and up every week: meds for my heart condition, AReflax, and so on is always the same, but for the new conditions - chemo therapy treatment and steroids are going up every week.

I feel that if my pain from MS and RA improves by treatments I am on, I may need less and less PK and hopefully even this amount I will try to cut off (at least I hope I will). I explained to him that BT meds I can control, but if I go up on LA I can't control it, I must take it as prescribed. When I have "good day" I try to take as less as possible BT, cut i can't do it if I am on LA!!!

Plus, I know that you can take just so much of OXY and if you are allergic and have reactions to so many meds as I am I will not have much choice - than what esle can help me? Morphine, Daulidin - does nothing for me, no help at all at any dose. Fentanyl - horrible reaction - never again. And due to tons of meds I been on all my life , I have strong tolerance to it. Another words if someone takes 20/625 of Percocet and gets tired or dizzy - i don't feel I ever took it. My PM told me that I do have tolerance to many meds and if we go higher and higher on LA I may expire my options to be helped in a long run. Very easy to go higher, especially if someone has high tolerance; in a year or 2 I may be at the highest dose it is - do I want this to happen to me in my situation? Not at all!!! Trust me, I been in situation when I was ready to just call and ask for more thinking Who Cares???

I do have Arachnoidities, debilitating condition I inherited after spinal fusion and it will get worse in time. I can't ignore thinking about my future.
My Dr thinks very high of me because I put a lot of thoughts into my treatments, loves my positive attitude, the fact that I never ask why me, and trusts me with my judgement about pain, activities, doses, etc.

Sorry if this sounds childish, but feels good to establish such relationships with your DR who is for your 24/7. And we talking about DR who writes books on PM and reabilitation, DR who has under his care "big" sports people and media people, Dr who is teaching in other Hospitals in NYC... and yet he has time and heart to be a real Doctor. Makes sense??

I also love the fact that Doctors at Hospital for Special surgeries work in teams. He works with my Neurologist, Rheumotologist and surgeon on my treatments and tests if needed. I come for my app with Neurologist per say and he has his computer in front of him with all ex-rays done by surgeon, discogram or MRI by my PM, their recommendations, their treatment and vise versa. They all have access to your chart this helps them to work in teams.

I can say I am in a good hands, feels good finally to say this.
I have to think about a lots of things like this, I can't leave at the moment only.
Of course I would be happy to pack a pill and get relieve and that is it. But this is a chronic condition, it will not go away; therefore I have to think about future, I am only 53!
I know couple of people who expired their options with PK and had to be send to detoxify (sp?) their bodies from meds and than start all over again... Not the road I want to take.
Just my 5 cents...

Best of luck to all of you, dear people...

Last edited by Moldova; 08-21-2008 at 10:26 AM.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Quote:

Exec - I wish I could reach out and give you a bouquet of flowers or box of chocolate to thank you for all your help and taking the time to answer my questions. It is all very overwhelming but I think I am beginning to understand things a little better.
No problem....I very much appreciate the kind words. I'm very glad things are working well for you. You deserve it!

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread