It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Ativan vs. Valium

I have been going on the spinal boards abit, trying to figure out somethngs.
A very nice lady reminded me that ativan had helped her in the past with some of her symptoms. I remember when being sent to the hospital by a doctor I was being seen by they had indeed administered ativan, which helped. When I came out I asked the same doctor that had me sent form her office via ambulance & kept overnight about trying the ativan & she nearly took my head off, so I dropped it of course & forgot about it.
Now my PM has me on valium for the muscles I was curious if anyone knows would ativan help with the muscle spasms in anyway. Maybe this PM would be more open to triyng the ativan to help with the dizziness if it served to help with the muscles to. I dont want to add another med, thats for sure & I think he can figure out that the valium has not been a problem for me as far as addiction. I only take 1/2 the allowed dose if even that. So anyone one have an opinion on one vs the other? Thanks, as you can see I am taking full advantage of my PM family lately. Sammy

Old 08-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User
Re: Ativan vs. Valium

Valium is often used to control muscle spasms more often than many of the other meds in the same class. Depending on your dose and how long you have taken it, you may already be physically dependent.

Ativan is a shorter acting medication and a bit more difficult to taper off of if you become physically dependent. I'm not sure how Ativan stacks up against Valium for muscle spasms. I think that they all have very similar effects.

Why do you want to switch?

Last edited by Confused089; 09-10-2008 at 09:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Sammy, I'm not sure that the Ativan will do any more than the Valium. I know it helped before, because you weren't taking any other benzo at the time. But since you have been taking the valium for a bit, I'd probably stay on it for now. Your doc can still order a muscle relaxer for you as well. I take Xanax and a MR, and have no problems taking both. Might be worth looking into. Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 08-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Sammy,

Valium for me is much better for vertigo. It lasts much longer. I have to take it when I travel and if I use ativan I have to take it every 4-6 hours, valium only 1 or 2 times a day depending on the length of the trip.

Tigg.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

Ativan isn't a good med to use every day ( My GP told me this) . Your body builds up a tolerance to it and it won't work after awhile or you will need major increases. it also does not last nearly as long as valium does. if your Dr is giving you valium and its working I wouldn't go off it. Ativan works better as an anxiety med than a muscle relaxer. Valium is a good drug and works better for muscle issues. I took it after my surgery and it worked well but it does knock me out.

just my opinion but ask your PM DR and see what he thinks.

SS

Old 08-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpgirl View Post

I'm not sure that the Ativan will do any more than the Valium. I know it helped before, because you weren't taking any other benzo at the time. But since you have been taking the valium for a bit, I'd probably stay on it for now.
I agree with Cmpgirl....I'm not sure there is an appreciable difference between the two. I'm sure one may work better for some, but @ the end of the day, they are very similar. Ativan will help one sleep a little better I think. I guess you could try the other, but I don't think you're gonna see any big difference.

I've taken them both @ times, I can honestly say I don't see much of a difference. Although the Ativan did put me in a deeper sleep (and a bigger hangover). But the Valium worked well too.

Take care,

Ex

Old 08-24-2008, 04:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Ok I guess that answers that. I will stick to the valium. I repect your opinions & want something that will definantly help with these spasms. I dont take as much as I should because of the fear of taking it in conjunction with the
percocet making me to tired. I may have to give it a try, taking abit more, since I take under the recommended dose. Thanks everyone. Sammy

Old 08-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
(male)

zach88 HB User

Hey,

Just thought I'd put in my two cents. I actually have been taking Ativan for anxiety as needed for several months. It works alright for me. However, if you're looking to take something for your muscle spasms, Valium is much more suited towards that. Some doctors even classify Valium as a muscle relaxant, even though it is a benzo, because it's muscle relaxing properties far surpass any other benzo. The Ativan doesn't really have those properties. Hope I could help.

Zach

Last edited by zach88; 08-24-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Zach for taking to time to post. I truely do value everyones opinion.
I wish I did not have to take anything at all, but at 4:00am I sure was glad I had the valium. Thanks again, Sammy

Old 10-06-2010, 04:36 AM   #10
(male)

darbelis12 HB User

I think that ativan will not do better than Valium. Suggest to use Valium.

Last edited by darbelis12; 10-18-2010 at 04:28 AM.

Closed Thread