It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
(male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User
Long Acting Med questions

What are some GOOD long acting Meds. My PM has me on the Fentynal Patch and has mentioned trying Methadone if this doesn't work. The patch is not working ( on day 3 I am in WD's as they do NOT last 3 days ). I am a little leery of Methadone due to the reputation for heroin addicts plus it seems it takes a while to build up to even work. Should I accept the Methadone and an increase in my BT meds ( 7.5 mg Percs ) or ask to have a few extra patches to get over that 3rd day. I don't want to go in "asking for meds" as I know that is a red flag big time, but I want something that works as well. I have DDD, osteoarthritis in left shoulder, both knees and right ankle

Old 08-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Re: Long Acting Med questions

Hi Life - I'm a bit confused - you say that the patch is not working, yet you wonder if being able to change it at the 48 hour mark would be the answer. So..does it work at all? Or are you saying that it just stops working at day 3? It seems unusual to be going into withdrawal from Fentanyl so quickly. How long have you been on this med? Methadone is an excellent medication. It isn't an extended release medication like Fentanyl, but it has such a long half-life that it tends to stay in your bloodstream giving you a good serum level of the drug. I take Methadone myself and have found it to be the best med for my pain. What do you mean when you say you are leery of the methadone becaue of its reputation for heroin addicts? Do you think the doctor will think you are a heroin addict? Or are you afraid your friends and family will look at you like you are a heroin addict? If you let the old stereotypes get in your way of finding pain relief, you'll cut yourself off from many good options. Good luck - KathyMac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
(male)

EhloBuddy HB User

I am on 5mg methadone 2x a day and it has been a godsend. I no longer have to take Percocet every day. I cannot stress enough how much Methadone has helped me. Who cares about any stigmas??? It's all about feeling better. Besides, what are you telling people what meds you are on for anyway. It is no one's business but yours.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeaftr40 View Post
My PM has me on the Fentynal Patch and has mentioned trying Methadone if this doesn't work. The patch is not working ( on day 3 I am in WD's as they do NOT last 3 days ).
You should tell your Doc about your third day issue and mention that you've read where a lot of patch wearers are going to every 48 hrs. It would make a huge difference for you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 08-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I don't know anyone that can go 3 days on these patches...we change husbands every 48 hrs and he also takes oral Oxycodone for break thru pain. Tell your doctor you are are going to change it every 48 hours so doctor can change the order and increase the quantity of pain patches he orders for you...at least give it a try first then notify your doctor. If that doesn't work then you might just need an increase in the dosage of your patch...you don't mention what your dosage is. You can go fairly high in dosage/mcg on the patches but I don't think Methadone is the answer so I am guessing your doctor isn't versed on pain meds. OR ask you doctor to refer you to a pain management clinic who can better help you. Good luck

Old 08-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
(male)

ekgman HB User

Methadone has been a MIRACLE for me as well. I started out with a Herniated Disk in L5/S1 with sciatica in both legs at age 34. I couldn't get any Public Assistance in FL. so I moved back to New York City where I grew up. In FL, no one ever mentioned anything about Pain Management, yet they had me on 15mg of hydrocodone with 75mg of Ibuprofen. It had to be mixed at a specialty pharmacy in Tampa. I was taking TEN of those pills a day and even that wasn't working well anymore. The Rx was written: 2-3 pills every 6 hours! I could feel the pull of addiction, but no one was giving me any other options.

I have a really crazy system. Not one muscle relaxer (they tried about 12 different ones) had ANY effect at all, not even a bit of drowsyness at maximum doses. Vioxx did nothing but cause a 50% block in a major heart artery & two mild heart attacks (at age 35). Tylenol never worked on me my entire life also. I was taking Benadryl for bad post nasal drip for years & kept having to increase doses about every 6 months to the point where I was taking 6 pills TWICE a day. When that wasn't working - I stopped taking it completely. I'm paranoid about becomming addicted to narcotics, but I've learned the hard way that there is a BIG difference between NEED & ADDICTION.

When I got to NYC I was immediately put into Pain Management after a 7-day hospital stay (I was hospitalized 8 times in two years becvause the psin was so bad). I was smart enough to bring two of the empty 15/75 hydrocodone bottles. I don't think they would have believed me otherwise. They tried everything to point of a choice of high doses of Morphine or Methadone. I chose Methadone which was the smartest thing I've ever done. It had to be gradually increased to where I am now: 150mg a day (80 in AM, 70 in PM). Everyone has different metabolisms- 5mg-10mg works for most people. I'm 6' 7" tall & am 290 pounds. I also am onm another med which lowers the effect of Methadone. That other med is something that took a dozen failures before I found the right one- so I can't change it.

With Methadone, I can go a day or two without taking any >>> I couldn't do that with Morphine. When I go two days without, it works better when I start taking it again. I take Neurontin which helps a bit too. But I have to take the maximum dose of that three times a week or that doesn't work either.

I've since been diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis. I have a thymoma (linked to MG) in my chest. I'm a mess but I take things one day at a time. I fought for 40 months to get Social Security Disabilty. I lived in my friends van for 9-months at night to sleep, then walked the streets all day from 7AM until 9PM. No shelter would take me because of the meds I was on. If I lied, I was afraid that if someone tried to steal from me, I wouldn't be able to defend myself. Eventuaslly my mother's icy heary thawed a little and she let me live in her basement. She has a four floor house all by herself. She suffers from severe mental illness, but refuses treatment: no meds & no doctors. She's extremely selfish, depessed, obsessive/compulsive, & narcissistic. She has physically hit me, and verbally abused me since day 1. She called the police and lied that I was threatening her to try to get me thrown out because I was physically unable to help her fix things in the house & I told her to please leave me alone when she tried to use me as a psychologist.
If it wasn't for the Methadoine- things would be VERY, VERY bad for me. Screw anyone who gives you a look when you tell them you are on Methadone. Print pages from ***** about Methadone and stick it in anyone's face (including doctors) that assume you are a drug addict. I worked in hospitals and for medical companies for 16-years. I couldn't ever do illegal drugs if I wanted to. They did surprise drug tests every 2-6 months.

DO WHETEVER YOU HAVE TO DO TO MAKE YOUR LIFE REASONABLY COMFORTABLE. I've walked into Hospital Executive Offices demanding to speak with the CEO. Like I said, do what you hasve to do. It's not easy, but they'll do wghat youy need if you fight for it.

Best Wishes to Everyone!

James

Old 08-28-2008, 06:43 AM   #7
(male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User

No one really knows what meds I am on except for a few close family members and hubby but the PM did say herself that Methadone has a bad rep because of what it was used for originally. After being on the patch for 3 months now I know on day 3 I am going to SUFFER with the effects of not having to relief as well as the puny side effects of not having it in my system. I guess when I go in for a med re-check next month I will once again mention the DR that I am still not getting relief on all 3 days

Old 08-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnD View Post
...we change husbands every 48 hrs...
How many husbands do you have?

Sorry, I just had to do that...

Seriously, I also changed my patches after 48 hours.

Maybe I should think about changing wives .....

steve

Old 08-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

lifeaftr40,

Can you make an appt and go in sooner? Why suffer? After only 3 months you are still in somewhat of a titration period, and changes are fairly normal. But don't use the phone to ask.

Whatever you do, never let what other people think dictate your health decisions. There's already enough bias against methadone out there, id doesn't need to be coming from within our camp as well. Methadone was the very best pain med I ever used. Bar none, methadone is exceptional. And I was able to stop BT meds altogether. It was that good for me. I was on a steady dose of 80mg daily for years. Tolerance develops much more slowly with methadone.

steve

Old 11-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
(male)

bstinch HB User

the only thing i havent tried is fentanyl...i like to get in the sun and try to workout; when body temp is increased , it releases fentanyl quicker. i currently take methadone, with morhine sulfate for breakthrough. the morphine takes 36 to 72 hours to build up in one's system, and then maintains.i think it works well for me for long lasting pain....it is not expensive either, even without insurance

Closed Thread