It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Anyone taken Provigil for severe fatigue

Hi folks. I've been experiencing an increase in fatigue and a feeling of "nodding off" while taking my Methadone. I've been on 120 mg. of methadone for about 6 months now and it really works so well for my chronic pain, but also leaves me lethargic. My pain management doctor prescribed a medication called Provigil 100 mg. tablets one in the morning to counteract the problem. I'm interested in hearing from others who have used this medication and their comments on how well it worked or, conversely, how it didn't and what side effects they may have noticed. Thanks. Memere (KathyMac)

Old 10-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
(female)

Sammiejoe HB User
Re: Anyone taken Provigil for severe fatigue

Hi Kathy,

My beloved hubby took provigil several years ago for chronic fatigue. Initially, he had good results with it, more energy & no real side effects. But, it is very expensive & our ins wouldn't pay for it and the dr couldn't continue to give him samples, so he was put on adderal...After taking the adderal for awhile, he tried to go back to the provigil because the dr was able to make arrangements with the drug rep to give him free vouchers, but he found the adderal much more effective than the provigil.

Unfortunately, my hubby died from a heart attack and he was found to have heart damage which is believed to be from the adderal, so please don't take adderal. He had taken it for several years & we thought it was safe, especially since kids take it for ADD.

Research the side effects of provigil first because I don't know if it poses the same risk as the adderal.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
(female)

jencat HB User

I was put on Provigil several years ago, I tried to take it (stuck it out 2 weeks), but it gave me a feeling of wanting to crawl out of my own skin. Sorry if that sounds weird, but that's be best description I have been able to come up with. I was nervous, jittery and could not sleep. This was at the time (about 6 yrs ago) a very expensive drug, and sorry to say did not work for me.

Hopefully you will have better luck than I did with this. I have known people who have successfully taken Provigil, and they benefited greatly. I hope you will be one of these.

Good luck,
Jen

Old 10-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sunnycal HB User

My husband (who has RSD) takes methadone and has the same problem with nodding off and brain fog. His doctor prescribed Strattera (usually given for ADHD). He really sees an improvement in his alertness and mental ability. He is still sleepy so that didn't improve. He tried Provigil and didn't see any difference with that. The Strattera is pretty expensive, but insurance is covering it so far.
I am sorry to hear about your husband, Sammiejoe.
Sunny

Last edited by Sunnycal; 10-12-2008 at 12:36 AM.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

I was given a RX for this medication over a year ago. I went to fill it and it was 70.00 for a 2 week supply it is VERY PRICEY so I declined it because at the time I was taking Lyrica which was 150.00 a month. If you can afford it or have good insurance you may want to give it a try. I can imagine how nodding off is not a pleasant way to spend your day... I hope it works for you so your not so lethargic as that has got to be depressing. But I am so glad the methadone is helping your pain Kathy Mac, I know you have been through so many surgeries and live with pain every day of your life, I am so glad it helps you so much and you can't beat the price of the methadone.

take care, SS

Last edited by slipperyslope; 10-11-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I too was given a prescription (and a sample) and when I found out it would cost me around $175 to $200 per month I never even tried the samples. I was afraid it would work so well that I'd want to get the prescription filled - but at the price it was going to cost I just couldn't go forward.

In some cases insurance will cover provigil (my doctor said for conditions such as MS). But since my fatigue could be thyroid related - insurance would not cover it.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

I take provigil and its very effective.

I however do have MS but also suffer from chronic pain from a lumbar spinal nerve disease.

I had tried adderal and ritalin and they made so nervous,provigil has never given me that effect.

Last edited by Mod08; 10-13-2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: dosages are not necessary for this conversation purposes

Old 10-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User

I take Provigil I started be taking a lower dose but than moved up to a larger dose. I like it...I was falling asleep at the wheel before. Very dangerous considering I drive 84 miles twice a week. I was so scared on those days. Now the provigil is perfect. I take it in the morning and am able to sleep by night. I don't get the jitters unless I drink too much caffeine. I say go for it..if my insurance didn't pay for it, it would be $800.00 for a 90 day supply but I pay $100. So worth the piece of mind!!!

Last edited by Mod08; 10-13-2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: dosages are not necessary for this conversation purposes

Old 11-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

frank_n_beans HB User

Hi there:

My PM doc prescribed this for me but, unfortunately, my insurance wouldn't cover it..they only cover it for narcolepsy. It's really expensive on it's own so I opted not to take it and have ritalin instead. Have you checked in with you insurance company to see if they cover it? Make sure you do before filling the script.

That being said, my PM doc really likes it and says that it does not cause jittery feelings like other stimulants (or as often, at least). It is supposed to interfere with hormonal birth control though..fyi!

Closed Thread