It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
(female)

Blondie2182 HB User
Red face Need new PM doc in MD

Hey everyone I am new to the board and I was hoping you all might be able to help me. I have Chronic Lyme Disease, scolosis,kyphosis,ddd,disc hernations, and arthritis just to name a few. I found a pain management doctor who I really liked he was very caring and willing to work with me as far as medications go. After trying different medications I finally got on a medication regimn that worked for me. I was taking oxycodone 15mg up to 4 a day for breakthrough pain and oxycontin 40mg 2 a day. Unfortunatly he retired and I just started seeing a new pain management doctor. I really dont know about this new place. I asked to see a certain physician (because my primary doctor recomended him) the woman that scheduled me told me I would be seeing him however when I went to my appointment I did not end up seeing him I ended up seeing a Physicians Assistant. She had all my records,MRI'S,ETC.. She told me that they do not perscribe Oxycontin??? I never heard of a pain management place soing that but she eneded up giving me oxycodone 15mg and I can take up to 3 a day as needed but she only wrote the rx for 75 pills (and I dont go back for a month so I thought she would give me 90?) then she gave me Opana er 10mg to take 3 times a day.

I went to the pharmacy and filled my oxycodone just fine but I needed a prior-authorization for the Opana er so I called the office and instead of getting the opana authorized they had me come in and give my opana rx back and then she gave me MS Contin 30mg 3 times a day to use instead.

Im not opposed to trying new medications its just I finally get back to feeling like my old self again when I was on the oxycontin and oxycodone and I dont know why she wont just give me the oxycontin I guess I just think if it aint broke dont fix it ya know?

I was wondering if you all could recomend a good pain management doctor? I live in southern maryland (waldorf area). The place that I go to now told me that I cant make an appointment with a piticular doctor that you just end up seeing whatever doctor is available(or physicans assistant). This bothers me I really dont like change I would perfer to just see one doctor for my pain needs not everyone in the practice. Thanks for listening!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
(male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User
Re: Need new PM doc in MD

My PM only sees patients the first visit and to do "procedures". We do see the same PA every time.They too say they don't presribe Oxycontin except in RARE cases so that may be the new trend. I would check your insurance directory for the PM in your area or check with a local hospital.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User

Welcome to the boards! There is a great doc in La Plata, MD, named Dr. Yunis. It's a small clinic, and I think there's only one more doctor in the place. I'd give him a try!

Old 11-07-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Need new PM doc in MD

Hello and welcome to the boards. I don't know of a Dr. for your area, but I wanted to let you know that I will keep you in my prayers. I am in VA, so we are some what close to eachother. My PM does the same as the other post mentioned, he sees the pt. on their 1st visit and also for procedures. Other than that, I see his PA. At first, that bothered me, but now I love it. First, she has a lot more time to spend with me and I get in right away. While the Dr. is doing procedures, he often runs late because of unforseen issues that can come up. I have found out that if I schedule my appt. on days that the PA is there and the Dr. is there, that way the PA can always go and ask the Dr. any questions or have him step in for a few mins. at the end, to make sure your are doing alright. You get 2 for the price of 1 and you get twice as long time, than if it was just with the Dr.

It is nice to meet you here and I hope you feel free to come often with questions, concerns or helpful ideas.

Lorie

Last edited by lfoster21; 11-07-2008 at 10:29 PM.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
(female)

Blondie2182 HB User

Thanks for all the responses and kind words everyone. I am not feeling good todat at all. I have been taking the MS contin since the doctor wont perscribe oxycontin because of its additctivness and It is making me feel worse! For one it does nothing to control my pain and it makes me feel like I am going to vomit and that feeling lasts all day. It also makes me feel really warm I cant really explain it. I have never taken anything with morphine in it so I guess Im allergic to it or something? I would rather just take the oxycodone 15's and still be in pain. Than take the MS contin which doesnt touch my pain anyway and feel sick from them.

I just want to cry. I want to call the Office and see if I bring in the rest of the bottle of the MS contin if they will give me something else to try? But I dont want to take anything with morphine it in so I dont even know what else they could give me since like I said before the do not gve out oxycontin which was the only thing that helped with my pain before.

******REMOVED**********

LORIE - I am willing to go to VA can you recommend a doctor?

Last edited by Mod08; 11-08-2008 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules at the top of this board. Do not ask for medication recommendations.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
(male)

betrade212 HB User

Blondie

I'm almost positive I go to the same PM place (been goin' for over 5 years now), and I'm on the same regimen that you are. Does the Doc's last name start with a "K' by any chance??

The MS also makes me feel bad, but I just deal with it. I also went on the Opana for a month, but it was just too strong, and I have a very high tolerance. I didn't like how it made me feel.
You may want to consider methadone. I've been on that for long acting and it worked great for pain, but I had a reaction and had to go off of it. It's much better than morphine IMO.

But, I used to deal with another PA there, and she moved to another place in Baltimore about 3 months ago. She's great IMO. If you'd like, I can find the info and send it to you. I was going to follow her when she left (she asked me to, and I felt bad, but...) but I decided I didn't want to start out somewhere new at this point. I'll just see how it goes in the meantime.

Last edited by Mod08; 11-11-2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: No need to copy quote - direct post by addressing the post to the individual.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

If you would consider driving a bit, there is a very good pain management practice in Frederick, MD. It's a straight shot round the beltway and up 270 and isn't really far at all. The practice is called Mid Maryland Musculoskeletal Institute on Thomas Johnson Drive. All the docs are good. They prescribe medications as well as provide other options for pain relief. I don't think I'm allowed to give a phone number so you'll have to get that on your own. Good luck!

Closed Thread