It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 06:44 AM   #1
(male)

bobby0419 HB User
i need to find a doctor in maryland to prescribe narcotics for chronic pain

i need to find a doctor in maryland to prescribe narcotics for chronic pain

The Following User Says Thank You to bobby0419 For This Useful Post:
mpoist01 (07-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User
Re: i need to find a doctor in maryland to prescribe narcotics for chronic pain

Dear bobby,

If it were me, I would NOT go to a doctor and specifically ask for narcotics. It sounds like the way drug seekers might go about scouting for medicine. Maybe you could find a better way to seek pain relief by having an up-front and honest discussion with the doctor. Let the doctor know what has worked for you in the past and what has not. Plus, a pain diary would help the physician know what kind of pain you're dealing with.

This is just a suggestion, but I thought I'd throw it your way!

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
(male)

bobby0419 HB User

Thanks I have a long documented history of pretty serious problems have been on methadone for about 4 years but had to go to a methadone program for addicts as I did not know pain management existed prior to that ortho was given me large doses of vicodin that was giving my liver a real hard time and the pain relief was a roller coasater ride stop the methadone at the program couple days ago VERY EXPENSIVE $500. month family needs more important and not employable and I am now in pain and suffering some bad withdrawal from stopping was given liquid meth 2 week supply at a time managed to hold on to a little until I can find one of these places WAS NOT AT THE CLINIC FOR ILLICT DRUG USE! also cannot afford time or money to go to several doctors for the help I need as I said LOTS of documented medical history just need a willing doctor thanks

Old 11-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Bobby and welcome to the Healthoards. I think you may become frustrated trying to find a doctor using the criteria you have set down. First I'd like to echo what Jon has said: Going in to meet a doctor for the first time and asking him straight away if he's willing to prescribe narcotics for your pain will most likely be a bad strategy. If you read through some of the posts on the board you'll see that the best doctors are the ones who offer a diverse menu of pain relieving strategies including physical therapy, non-narcotic prescription medication (such as anti-inflammatories and nerve medications like Lyrica or Nurontin) and epidural injections or trigger point injections. It's very important that the doc knows what you've been taking and if it is still working for you, but you also need to be open to changing meds. The other thing that worries me abit is your statement about not having the time nor the finances to see more than one doc. Because doctors don't advertise or publicly print their "menu" of services, you will need to pick a doctor that's been recommended by friends, relatives or other health care professionals. That costs money, I agree. But if you get there and the doc doesn't happen to prescribe opioids immediately, you will need to return or go find another doc. So, I think that the best attitude you can have is to go in with an open mind and a willingness to try whatever the doc might recommend. I have a very good doctor in Frederick, MD, but I don't know if this is close or too far for you. Perhaps you can elaborate and also tell us more about your pain, its location, why it started, and any treatment you've already had. Wishing you the best - Memere

Last edited by Administrator; 11-27-2008 at 11:58 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BrittleBones For This Useful Post:
trick1 (07-03-2012)
Old 11-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

Dear Bobby,

Make sure you take that documentation with you when you go to a physician. Perhaps an Internal medicine physician would be best. That's who Rx's my meds! I, generally, have NOT had good experiences with PM doctors.

Keep us posted.

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Old 11-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #6
(male)

bobby0419 HB User

thanks for reply guess really I just have not elaborated enough on my situtation as I agree withe everything said have been receiving medication for about 6 years been thru all the various things you mentioned have seven ruptured disc bone on bone both knees and primary dr now testing for ra. spent 2 months in hospital recently with mrsa most dr shy away from the injections as I have a weekened immune system (also lost a kidney to cancer) my ortho prscribed large doses of vicodin/percocet about 5 years ago search for a an alternate med that lasted longer and did not hurt my liver so much ONLY place I found at that time was a methadone treatment facility (private) which was very expensive I had to stop last week due to the cost I just do not have the money I was given two week doses at a time have been laying around taking it real easy on the last two weeks (NO quality of life) even was I had these past few years. I have enough for about three days (a bearable 3 days).this is all nothing new I was just unaware of paim management drs under impression meds could just not be give (my reason for going the clinic route) last hospital stay was given 40 mg methadone day 2 mg dilaudid every two hour oposite 2 percocet every two hrs. been on these drugs for several years now have alibrary of mri and cat scam films want to find dr or clinic that can treat me get me back on a comfortable dose of something and start wroking on the weight I have gained and physical therapy to HOPEFULLY reduce meds but in the next coiple days I will be out of meds completely have insurance but it did not cover the meth program

Old 11-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
(male)

bobby0419 HB User

CONDUCTOR wHAT DO YOU MEAN AN INTERNAL MEDICINE DR ? a primary care or is it a speciality I am starting to get a little confused as I have also been asking around outside of the forum as I stated what meds I have will be GONE in another day or two aside from the physical side effects prior to the meds my little walking consisted of what I could do with the aid of a walker do not want to go back there if only the clinic where I was did not cost so much

Old 11-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

Dear Bobby,

My Primary Care doctor is an Internal Medicine Physician (and only sees adults). I have seen Pain Management doctors, but I have not had much success with them in that they want to perform every procedure known. If it boils down to them just writing a prescription, they don't seem very interested. I sort of think it's because they don't make much money from that!

By Internal Medicine, I only meant an Internist--someone who has his/her specialty in Internal Medicine. I use my Internist as my Primary Care Physician.

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Closed Thread