It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
(female)

brobbins2216 HB User
my medicine was stolen

About two days ago I went to an after hours care place because of extreme shoulder pain that I had been having after an injury. I got a prescription for hydrocodone. This was two days ago and when I got home from work yesterday they were gone. I kept them in my bathroom and I'm pretty sure my roommate or her boyfriend that she had staying with her stole it. She won't admit to it but there is no other possibility. Can I go back to the doctor I saw and tell him and ask for another prescription? I don't want him to think bad of me but there is no way I could have taken 30 of those pills in two days.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
(male)

midimonk HB User
Re: my medicine was stolen

Your in quite a predicament, most doctors get this as an excuse from rx abusers and will usually not be very forgiving.It will reflect on you in the end.You could file a police report to be safe, but in the end this situation has definitely hurt you in your doctors eyes.If you live in a house with roomates, you should never leave such meds in the open its just common sense.I am sorry, but thats the hard truth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

brobbins-
I'm really sorry your meds were stolen, especially if they were taken by someone you are supposed to be able to trust.

I have to agree with midimonk here in that doctors hear that excuse a lot and normally won't replace medications for that reason. I can only tell you that my PM doctor will allow 1 replacement for stolen meds and that is only when there is a police report filed. I personally think that is lenient of him, because even with a police report, he doesn't have to replace stolen meds. Anyone can call the police and say meds have been stolen. However, like I said, he will allow 1 stolen med replacement.

Anyway, this is tough because now you have this trust thing with your roomate. Even though you should be able to trust her, it ultimately boils down to having to be extremely careful with your medications. It is our responsibility to keep any and all meds either with us at all times, or locked in a safe place that no one else has access to.

Again, I'm really sorry and can only suggest that you file a police report regardless of the fact that this is your roomate and hope that will satisfy your doctor. Being that this was an urgent care facility, it may not be likely they will be willing to help you.

Good Luck whatever you decide to do. I really hope you feel better soon!!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

My doc doesn't even replace stolen meds with a police report because anyone can call the police and make the claim and get a report filed, It doesn't mean it actually happened, They simply reported it to get a police report. It won't hurt to ask, but I would be shocked if you were given replacment meds.

Years ago the same thing happened to me before I was involved in PM. I was passing a kidney stone, left my pain meds in my desk at work and at the end of the day they were gone. I called my GP to see if anything could be done and they said no. Unfortunately there are two many people abusing these meds that think their high is more important than your pain. Get rid of the room mate, anyone that has so little concern for your health will likely screw you in other areas of life, not pay bills, wreck your credit, steal other stuff etc etc.

There isn't a bizare excuse you can think of that some addict hasn't tried. If as many dogs had actually eaten someones pain medecine as claimed there would be a pet cemetary larger than Arlington. Sorry this happened to you, but docs really can't afford to take the chance with these meds.

Good luck getting the roomate out. Do folow the law or you can end up on the end of a wrongful eviction suite because you really can't prove it.
Good luck, Dave

Old 12-12-2008, 04:40 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Mumbles401 HB User

I would just try to make it thru when the prescription wouls last until whether it is a week, a month or 3 months, and then ask for a refill. Doctors are not dumb and have seen it all and heard it all before.

Get rid of the roomate

Old 12-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Several years ago, I was on Oxycontin with Oxy IR, 30 mg for BT pain. I accidently left my locker unlocked at work one day and when I discovered it, my BT meds were gone. Stolen. I had just had it filled too, and I think I was getting 120 a month. My PCP, who was writing for my meds gave me another script, but stressed that it was a one time thing. He would not replace them again. My biggest thing was I had been going to him for about 18 years at that time. I'm sure this is the only reason he replaced the Oxy.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Director,
Good to see you!
To the poster~
I got my records from my doc tonite to take to my PM appt. There was the time I got my bags lost from the airlines. I had a report, ect and my doc replaced them.
In my records, he stated "This patient has been with me for over five years. I have no reason to not believe her and therefore I am refilling her meds. She also provided a report from the airlines stating the loss."

So i think it really comes down to if you have a good and long relationship with the doc. You may get lucky, but most ER docs have heard everything under the sun...they have heard way more than reg docs. I would go in and be honest, and if you have a regular doctor maybe they could help.
If this is your first script, be thankful...You wont go into withdrawls like most ppl that have been on the meds for a long time. I hope you can get your meds filled.
Welcome to the boards.
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 12-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #8
(female)

chicubs HB User

I know that when I started to have to take my narcotic medication that I had to sign a document stating what was allowed and what wasn't.
One of the items on this document concerned having to do with refilling at prescription if I should loose it, or it was stolen or etc.
It said that she would allow only one time for a prescription to be refilled if something should happen to it. After that she would not give me a another prescription even if something else happened to it. She told me that she had problems with "drug seekers" once and this document helped to weed them out. She said even if she knew I was never a problem before and that she trusted me, she would never make an exception to this rule.
The problem is if you even tell your doctor what happened more than likely you may be "red flagged". And you don't want that. I believe that once you are "red flagged" even other doctors might be aware of what happened to you so that you do not try and refill a prescription with them.
So if possible I would try and go without until it is time again to have your prescription filled. Hopefully you have not been taking this medication very long, you don't want to have to go through any withdrawals.
I'm so sorry this happened to you. There is simply not a good way out of this. And oh how sad that you can no longer trust anyone in your house. But like someone else replied, This is your responsibility concerning what ever happens to your medication. I'm sure that your doctor would say those same words to you if you let him know what happened to yours. Good luck with this problem and take care of yourself.
Chris

Old 12-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

Because of this very type of situation, we have a safe where our pain medications are kept. I had a full month of patches taken one time, and my Mom's Oxycontin was taken. We were both fortunate enough to have our medications refilled by our doctor, but we were told that we would never have it refilled early again (and our doctor is exceptionally friendly and loving toward our family)! She's heard it all. By the way, it was a family member who did this.

Also, when I traveled to my college reunion, guess what was missing from my suitcase when I arrived? My controlled substances. Fortunately, the college doctor who knew my situation helped me out and instructed me to tape these meds to my body when traveling by air!

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Old 12-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

My contract with PM Dr. says that I am the one responsible for my medication and how important keeping it practically on your body. You should luck it, hide it, never leave it where ANYBODY can see it.
And also states that if my meds ever be stolen - I am the one to blame and it will never be replaced for me.
When I fly, I have my meds in a plastic bag, show them to security, if they need to check it i ask them to check it in my presence and that I don't want my meds to leave my sight. Seems they respect my wishes and so far I had no problems. I leave with my hubby; my kids and friends come to visit us.

My meds are always locked in a safe. I carry only daily dose in my purse in a special plastic box. Nobody knows what meds this is; original containers is in a safe.

Honestly I can't even imagine how could you leave your powerful narco meds in the bathroom leaving with stranges... Sorry, sweet heart, I feel for you; but I am sure this will teach you how important to lock them. Try to be honest with your Dr and maybe she will be able to understand what happens.

And also I was told my my PM's assistant that if anyone selling this drug on a street gets caught and tells autorities where he/she got it, you will be responsible for this. Scary, is in it?

All the best to you!

Old 01-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
(female)

22buddy HB User

I am so sorry this happened. I am largely in agreement with others. When first starting at my Pain management doctors I had to sign a huge contract and was told no replacements for any reason.
All my meds are kept in a safe and I only carry one days worth in a pill case in my purse which never leaves my side. I also have it labeled life saving meds so that if someone finds it they will not think it is anything worth keeping but will probably return to me.
With high doses of morphine like I take you can't afford to even lose a days worth.

I hope someone starts feeling guilty and returns them and if not that your pain lessons and you make it through this ok.

Closed Thread