It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
(female)

magpie1970 HB User
Differences between hydrocodone brands

Hi,

I recently had a wrist surgery and was prescribed hydrocodone. The first pharmacy I went to gave me Watson brand. I got a refill at a pharmacy that is closer to home and they gave me Mallinko (sp?) brand. I notice a difference in the effectiveness between the 2. Is this in my head or do the different brands have different effects? I've noticed that the same dose of the Mallinko's doesn't stop the pain like the Watsons did.

Thanks for the help with this.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:57 AM   #2
(female)

Nicole74 HB UserNicole74 HB User
Re: Differences between hydrocodone brands

With my experiece I've had the same thing happen two years ago when I had gallbadder issues before it was removed. I didn't get my medicine from the same pharmacy each time. I could completely tell the difference and I brought it up to the doctor I was seeing. The only thing he said was different companies have different ingredients, but generally are the same. I can also tell the difference between the companies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2008, 04:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

Yes. you are correct. the Mallinkroft vicadin are much weaker than the Watson. I used to take the Mallinkroft and felt the same way you did so its not in your head. Next time make sure you get the watson brand.

good luck,

Old 12-20-2008, 05:10 AM   #4
(male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User

Most definitely each generic brand can have a varied amnt of the actual hydrocodone. FDA states they can have a range from 1=20% of the actual meds. Some one once said that is the reason kidney transplant patients never get generics because such a range could be deadly. I know with my percocets I get the Endocet brand and that is as close to brand name I can get and they work SO much better than Watsons I had been getting.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
(female)

cheryl810 HB User

I too feel the same way. I have the generic from mallinkroft and I'm going through them like water; they just don't work. I was thinking maybe I got use to the dose but then I was thinking that can't be possible since I just was upted .

I didn't know if you can request a certain generic at the time of refills, can you?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
(female)

magpie1970 HB User

I think each pharmacy stocks whichever brand they want. Unfortunately, I have a pain contract that dictates what pharmacy I can go to. There is a Walgreens pharmacy that carries the watson brand, but I would have to switch my pain contract and travel over 26 miles to the nearest pharmacy, instead of 8 miles to the pharmacy here in town.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm glad to know that this isn't all in my head!!

Old 01-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User

Ask your pharmacist if he/she would be willing to order and stock the watson brand. A lot of them have heard about this problem and they may be willing to assist you by ordering the other generic. I kow that mine was more t han willing to assist when the same thing happened to me. The worst thing they can say is no and you'll be no worse off than you are now. Best case, they will order the watson brand and you'll get better relief from the same dosage.

Take care and I hope you find a solution to this problem.

Liz

Old 01-30-2009, 04:56 AM   #8
(female)

ginabelle HB User
Smile Re: Differences between hydrocodone brands

My husband, and I are going through this now with Mallinckrodt oxycodone 30mg. My husband got this same brand last month when his Doctor was giving him the 15mg. We had to deal with a different chain drug store this month, because they are the only drug store that had any brand of oxycodone. This is a sorry, terrible brand. I have found out that there are a few good generics, they are good for me too. Ethex, qualitest, and amide are good ones. My advise to anyone, stay away from oxycodone 15, or 30mg in the Mallinckrodt brand! If everyone who has or is having a bad experience with this or any other generic would stick together and do something, maybe this same no good company would not be able to make oxycontin or oxycodone or change them, better them. If not this same company will probably gain all rights to making all generic oxycodones, just like they have oxycontin!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I second everyone else's opinion on the Mallincrodt (crap) brand of Vicoden. I went from this to another generic brand and noticed a big difference. The other generic brand was much stronger and took care of the pain better. That is the reason why I won't even get this filled at CVS.

brian

Old 01-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
(female)

cheryl810 HB User

There's a huge difference between these generic brands. If there are so many people complaining of the same thing; mallinkort is not nearly as effective as watson then why the heck do these pharmacies carry them?
I asked my pharmacist before filling mine if they had watson instead and he said that he has enough for my script but when they run out of watson they will only have mallinkort. They don't make the decision on what brand to carry, it's the main/central office or something like that just sends it to them.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeaftr40 View Post
Most definitely each generic brand can have a varied amnt of the actual hydrocodone. FDA states they can have a range from 1=20% of the actual meds.
Please see the thread titled "Brands vs generics-Major findings" by doing a search in the search box. It's a very detailed and informative thread that talks about the 20% variation allowance between brands and generics.

It's not in your head.

Hope this helps,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 01-31-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl810 View Post
If there are so many people complaining of the same thing; mallinkort is not nearly as effective as watson then why the heck do these pharmacies carry them?
The reason is the cost. That is usually always the reason especially in this economy. Most of the chain pharmacies have gone to the Mallincrodt generic brand. Of course you get what you pay for especially with pain meds so the cheaper, the less effective but more profitable for the pharmacy, it's sad but true.

brian

Old 01-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post

The reason is the cost.
Yes, Brian is correct. My pharmacist told me that the way the pharmacy industry does rebates is this: When a pharmacy bills an insurance company for a med, they get rebated back the "average wholesale cost" of all the drugs in that class. So, if a pharmacy requests reimbursement for a Duragesic patch for example, the insurance company will rebate back to the pharmacy the average wholesale cost of all the fentanyl patches..Duragesic, Sandoz, Watson, Mylan & etc.

So, if the wholesale cost is of the patch the pharmacy sells you is higher than the average wholesale cost of all the patches, the pharmacy loses money, or at the very least, doesn't make as much. However, if the wholesale cost of the patch you get is lower than the average wholesale cost of all the patches, then the pharmacy makes more money. This is why for example, that a lot of pharmacies carry Mylan patches....Because they are the cheapest on the market.

Pharmacies are increasingly switching to the cheapest meds in each class as a way to increase overall profitability. And the cheapest meds usually are on the low end of the 20% variation....Less med in a product means less cost.

It's all about cost. Brand drugs, especially in the pain med class, are far superior because they contain more of the active ingredient.

Regards,

Ex

Old 03-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #14
(female)

robochick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
I second everyone else's opinion on the Mallincrodt (crap) brand of Vicoden. I went from this to another generic brand and noticed a big difference. The other generic brand was much stronger and took care of the pain better. That is the reason why I won't even get this filled at CVS.

brian
Hi brian, I've just read the information about brands & what the pharmaceutical company's are doing, and am so shocked, its disgusting for these companys to sell people who are in pain drugs with less active ingredients in and which are less effective, just so they can make a quick bit of money. They are playing with peoples lifes, it must be so frustrating to have been given something which is ineffective. What brand of fentayln is most effective in your opion?

Closed Thread