It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
(male)

Carlos1950 HB User
Constipation from Oxycodone

I fractured a rib behind my heart last Friday. The doc put me on oxycodone for the pain. It has been 5 days and I have not had a bowell movement. THis is about to drive me crazy. Should I quit taking for a few days so I will be able to have a bowell movement. I am starting to feel really crappy for not being able to go to bathroom. I am trying not to eat much during the day. Getting hit by a blinding snowstorm out here in NW so I can't make it into town to get a laxative. I am in one more hell of a fix. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Carlos

Old 12-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
(female)

lynn1961 HB User
Re: Constipation from Oxycodone

Carlos.....

I,too, have been on oxycodone since dec. 18 and have had same issue. My doc instructed me to get a laxative suppository. Which i did plus an enema. It helped some but I still feel as if i need to be cleaned out more. ACK....Plus take a stool softner as well. i had ALIF surgery so straining is out of the question for me too......I hope you can get to a store soon. Drink lots and lots of water!

LYNN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User
Wink Re: Constipation from Oxycodone

Lots of water will help you as well as fiber like salads and olive oil dressing,
dried fruit like apricots and prunes will help. Not eating is also contributing to you not being able to go. Try and eat cereal that is high and fiber and oatmeal is also good.

when your able, get to the store and get a stool softner. they are less harsh than a full on laxative which will make you cramp and go for hours and hours. Stool softners work much more gently and do the same thing. I take Colace which is good but its expensive. I think if you pump up the water and eat more fruit and greens you will be back on track, but oxycodone can cause constipation, espeically if your not used to it. Its a side effect of most all opiates.
I feel for you, I know how awful it feels to be plugged up.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

try the Dannon Activia yogurt regularly. It's probiotic and really helps keep you going.
I like the vanilla.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
(female)

Mcgirl HB User

My doctor instructed me to take Miralax daily (sometimes 2 doses if need be). It works wonders for me. I also take a generic brand stool softener as well and it helps the Miralax work better! I would highly suggest trying both! As an aside I have been on pain meds for nearly six years so I definitely need the help with constipation!

Old 12-31-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
(male)

Lou1 HB User

I am someone who has NEVER had a problem with constipation in my life....in fact, I tended to have irritable bowel syndrome with diahhrea....until I started taking the LA opiates. Then I would go for days without a bowel movement..to the point I was getting very sick and vomiting.

My doctor advised me against taking a fiber supplement...he said that those products can actually increase constipation in opiate patients. He instructed me to take a Senna laxative. He also said that Miralax is very good, though it can b quite costly. He wrote a script for it so I can get it through the pharmacy for just $10 for a 30 day supply vs the $10 I would pay for just a week's supply at the grocery store.

I have found this combination helps, though I still have periods where I may go a couple days without a BM.

Good luck,
Lou

Old 12-31-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hi Carlos~
Welcome to the boards, and Happy New Year as well!
There are so many great posts about constipation and a lot of recipes, and suggestions from all of us who have been down the same road.
I will tell you that when I was on the patch, it made me so **removed** clogged up, I hated it.
I started the Mirilax AND Metamucil both. If you take them religiously every day, you'll have "smooth sailing" if you will
If you cant do the Mirilax, because it can be costly, ask your doc to write you a script for it. If your doc wont, then do the Metamicil. You may have to up the dose, but you'll be fine. The other options are just too harsh. The senna made me have horrible cramps and gas, and my doc told me it was too harsh to take for chronic constipation due to narcotics.
Do a search about constipation and you will find a top of info, like I stated. You'll find a lot of responses and help under the "pain" boards mostly, and a lot of us have tried everything under the sun.
I hope this helps you, and the new year finds you happy, healthy and pain free.
Again, welcome!
xoxoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by Mod08; 12-31-2008 at 10:01 PM. Reason: not necessary

Old 12-31-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
(female)

JaneDoeToo HB User

In addition to what has already been suggested. I've found the herbal teas to be very helpful in moments of desperation. There's one called Smooth Move that I like, but there are many others on the market.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Old fashioned prune juice, or prunes, work really well for me. Luckily I like prunes so it's not a bad thing. I also find regular fiber supplements help as well.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #10
(male)

Chuck Graham HB User

I am a 54 old man who has been on opiates now for 10 years due to a broken back. I also suffered from insane constipation. About a year ago, I found the answer. The body produces Magnesium Citrate. Opiates drain the body of Magnesium Citrate, leaving opiate users in this horrible condition. Just go to any vitamin/ health food store and buy some Magnesium Citrate. They are about $6 a bottle. Also get some vitamin b-6. I'm telling you it works, and it is natural. It took me about 2 weeks to get balanced. Now I have 2 bowel movements a day. From having a bowel movement once every 10 days to being regular is a blessing from Jesus. I'm telling you folks, Magnesium Citrate!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #11
(female)

krit HB User

When another CP'er told me about Miralax, I thought I had finally found the solution to the constipation problem; it worked really well - far better than the senna i had been using before.

However, I started seeing a new doctor about a month ago and he told me Miralax was *not* something I wanted to put in my body on a regular (or even irregular) basis. Not only does it disrupt the balance and absorption of minerals in your body, but its primary ingredient, "PEG," is a close cousin to anti-freeze.

Research has shown that the amount of PEG excreted is less than the amount taken in constipated adults (ironically, if you're not constipated, all of the PEG passes through), which means that you absorb some PEG everytime you take Miralex. Search for PEG to see if it's something you want to store in your body. In lab tests, it has produced some disturbing results.

It isn't supposed to be used long-term because it disrupts the balance of minerals in your body. After learning that I was putting something similar to anti-freeze in my body, I stopped taking it. This was just a few weeks ago - at this point, I don't have a good subsitute. Some of the alternatives I have been exploring are high dose vitamin C (enteric or ester C!), magnesium, flaxseed, enzymes (digestive). I've yet to try bile salts or something called "glucomannan."

The fact that chronically constipated individuals absorb some of the PEG from Miralax while people with "normal" bowel movements don't suggests that chronic constipation leads to a porous intestinal tract (not good).

I love that the FDA is pulling "unauthorized" pain meds that are perfectly safe from the market in the interest of "consumer safety," while it approves and leaves products like Miralax on the market. It never occurred to me that I might be putting one of antifreeze's chemical cousins in my body every day! I don't see any warnings about PEG on the bottle...

Last edited by krit; 04-02-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by krit View Post

When another CP'er told me about Miralax, I thought I had finally found the solution to the constipation problem; it worked really well - far better than the senna i had been using before.

However, I started seeing a new doctor about a month ago and he told me Miralax was *not* something I wanted to put in my body on a regular (or even irregular) basis. Not only does it disrupt the balance and absorption of minerals in your body, but its primary ingredient, "PEG," is a close cousin to anti-freeze.
Great point.

I've preached this before on this site, and I'll say it again....The absolute best solution, IMO is Metamucil. It's pure husk fiber....Very natural and safe. Best to start low and slow, and work upwards. If you get gas and bloating, you've taken too much. Using Metamucil is like eating a bunch of fruits and veggies. You can't go wrong.

For me, I take two tablespoons in a 4-6 oz glass of water each evening and drink it quick, before it thickens up. If I were new to it, I would start with one tablespoon and then go from there. It takes 4-5 days for your body to stabilize and get "regular." Once you get dialed in, it's pure heaven....A couple of good bowel movements per day....No strain, and very consistent.

In fact, I've talked several of my non CP friends into using it and they swear by it. My spouse is very fit and not a CP patient....Takes it each AM upon waking. As I previously stated, I take mine in the evening. Each person needs to find what works for them. The more one keeps things moving, the less likely your body will absorb toxins and etc, especially from processed foods.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 04-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

Ex, can I ask if you get any bloating from taking that high dose of metamucil? I have tried it in the past and it's brilliant but I get horrid bloating. I am now trying again but building up slowly - I'm on one large t spoon so far. Do you recommend just taking it once a day at first or adding in another dose at night to reduce bloating?
Thanks heaps, I've always had sow transit but now it's driving me mad and everything else causes pain or doesn't work. I have even found that chronic constipation has led to weight gain.
Good luck to the poster - do you have any olive oil? Try taking a tablespoon 3 times a day. Also, if you're desperate, epsom salts, 1 tspoon will work.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:59 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet31 View Post

Ex, can I ask if you get any bloating from taking that high dose of metamucil? I have tried it in the past and it's brilliant but I get horrid bloating. I am now trying again but building up slowly - I'm on one large t spoon so far. Do you recommend just taking it once a day at first or adding in another dose at night to reduce bloating?
Yes, I started with one. And when I say move slow, I mean add very small increments...Such as 1 t spoon, then a fraction of another, then a fraction of another and so on. You'll soon find the right balance.

You could also take two smaller portions twice per day. Your body will adjust. For me, I take two heaping tablespoons in about 6 oz of water at about 8pm every night...I let if work it's magic over night and each AM, I have a very good movement. Also, dinner is the by far the biggest meal of the day for me, so I think it pushes it on through. Then, sometime after lunch, I have another movement. I find that if I take it about the same time every day, it works better. If some of the fiber is left in the bottom of the cup or on the sides, I just rinse it out and throw it away, so out of the two big heaping tablespoons, I probably get 90% of it.

A lot of it depends on what else is in your diet. If you eat a fair amt of fruits and veggies, you won't need as much. That's why each person is different. Also, the more meds you're on, the more you'll need. I eat a fair amt of veggies, but don't get anywhere near the right amt of fruit that I should. Two good large table heaping tablepoons (not teaspoons) is the right amt for me.

Hope this helps,

Ex

Old 04-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #15
(male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User

Oh yeah.. Epsom salts will clean you OUT

Closed Thread