It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
(female)

wdwgranny HB User
norco 10/325 and pain control after surgery ???

i have been on norco 10/325 dince feb 2008 from back surgery no more than 3 to 4 in a 24 hour period.. now i am having shoulder surgery the pain from the shoulder breaks thru alot with the norco why i am waiting for surgery, after surgery they are putting me on percoet.. becuase norco doesnt help enough now.. my concen is will th percocet work?/i am afraid i have been on the norco so long that i have to high a resistance to pain meds afraid i will be in horrible pain after shoulder surgery this friday..(the norco does contro; the back/ leg pain still)
thankyou

Last edited by wdwgranny; 01-10-2009 at 07:30 AM.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
Re: norco 10/325 and pain controll after surgery ???

Do you know if they are going to give you a block? If they do that in the hospital, the pain shouldn't be too bad and I had been on actually stronger meds than you are on and had surgery and the percocet worked great. I did have to call and get the higher strength, but it did work for me. So hopefully it will work for you.

Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: norco 10/325 and pain control after surgery ???

Granny, I recently had an 8 hour spine surgery (my 5th) and prior to the surgery was on heavy doses of oxycontin prior. My pain was not the best controlled the first 24 hours until we realized that they did not give me my normal oxycontin on top of the post op pain killlers. They forgot my long lasting meds. Once this was figured out pain relief went fabulous. Here are some things to do before surgery:

1. Talk to your surgeon, pain management doctor if you have one, and your primary care doctor about your concerns of pain control after surgery. At a minimum, they will reassure you you will be well taken care of.

2. Generally before surgery, you will receive a call from a anthesilogist or admitting nurse telling you what time your surgery is, about what you can eat and not eat, they ask you a slew of questions about your medical history, etc. At this time, bring up your concern about pain control after surgery.

3. Before you go under surgery, you will meet your anthesilogist and be sure to explain your concerns of pain after surgery. Ask them what to do if after surgery, your pain med is not covering your pain whom you should call. Tell them you are scared about the nurses/staff letting you sit in pain.

4. Ask all involved if the hospital has a pain management team. Many hospitals have these and ask to see one after surgery.

5. Remember to use your pain scale numbers: 1 thru 10. 10 being the worst pain you have experienced in your life and 1 being no pain. When they ask you how you are feeling, say my pain is a 6 (or whatever # it is) on a pain scale of 10. Tell them you need more medication. Don't just say I hurt. When an individual says I hurt, it does not tell them if you need more meds because lets face it most people hurt after surgery. You might also give them example of what your pain level is. If you say a 6, you might say it hurts like when I broke my arm. If it is a 10, you might say it was after your automobile accident and your broke 5 ribs. It helps them have a mental image of your pain. I hurt means nothing.

6. After surgery, be sure to have someone stay with you overnight in the hospital whether it be a significant other, family member or friend until your pain is properly managed. Have them be your advocate. If you are in pain and your pain is not being controlled, make sure they have your doctors number and will not be afraid to speak up for you and DEMAND treatment. It may or may not involve asking to speak to a nursing supervisor or hospital administrator. Don't ever sit in pain.

7. Be sure that you get your regular pain meds in addition to your post op meds.

That is all that I can think of at the moment. The key is expressing your fears and make it well known that you will not let your pain be undertreated.

Closed Thread