It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
Neurontin

I have been taking Lyrica for nerve pain. Starting next month, neither of my insurance plans cover it, and I can't afford to pay for it out of pocket. I am thinking about asking my doc to consider neurontin to treat my nerve pain instead because it is available as a generic and is covered in my plan.

Is anyone taking neurontin for nerve pain? Did this make you drowsy? What other side effects have people experienced?

Last edited by Mod08; 01-26-2009 at 09:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2009, 05:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: Neurontin

Toon-
I was on Neurontin & got really great results from it. I'm on Lyrica now and it doesn't do near as good a job on my nerve pain, plus it gives me really bad headaches with blurred vision. My new doc doesn't like Neurontin, so that's why I'm not on it any longer.

Anyway, as you know, everyone reacts differently to medications. My experience with the Neurontin was great. We were able to titrate up fairly quickly to the needed dose without really horrid side effects. I had a bit of drowsiness, but that subsided quickly. Within the second week, the drowsiness went away.

For me, Neurontin was a God-send. My nerve pain was greatly reduced, and the flare-ups from cold, or hot temperatures were much fewer. Plus, as you said, the cost was a HUGE plus!

If your doctor is willing to allow a switch, I hope you will get good results. From what my former doctor said, Neurontin is kind of "tried & true" even though they are coming out with the newer things like Lyrica.

Take Care!
Ozzybug

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces1 View Post
I have been taking Lyrica for nerve pain. Starting next month, neither of my insurance plans cover it, and I can't afford to pay for it out of pocket. I am thinking about asking my doc to consider neurontin to treat my nerve pain instead because it is available as a generic and is covered in my plan.

Is anyone taking neurontin for nerve pain? Did this make you drowsy? What other side effects have people experienced?
I am on Lyrica now, but I started out on Neurontin, it should help. Never made me drowsy, and the side affects, well, I dod gain weight from it, but I also have gained weight from Lyrica, they are very comparible medications.

Sunny

Old 01-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

toonces:
that is absolutely terrible that they are not going to cover Lyrica. you know I think some of these insurance people should be made to endure our pain for 1 day and then they might have a change of heart when approving/not approving covered medications.

I have tried Neurontin and I was up to pretty much the max dose (***REMOVED****mg/day) I had the brain fog, could not concentrate well, memory was not good and it made me tired. I can't remember any other side effects, get it I can't remember

If you don't do well on Neurontin(gabapentin) then you could always try one of the other anti-convulsants like Trileptal(oxcarbazepin). I am on Trileptal and I think that it helps with my nerve pain plus it's generic now so it might be covered under your insurance. good luck and keep us posted.

brian

Old 01-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
(female)

chicubs HB User

I am just the opposite of you. I was taking neurontin and then my doctor suggested that Lyrica would work better and so I started taking that. To tell you the truth I couldn't tell much of a difference between the two. They both made me a little tired and they both helped with the pain.

Recently though I have asked my doctor to have me start to wean off of the Lyrica so that I could try taking Topomax. The reason I am doing this is because of all the weight I have gained from both of these medications. Yes both the Lyrica and the Neurontin had me gain so much weight. And since my Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy is located in my feet and legs I just feel that the weight gain is not helping me at all.

The problem I am having is that the weaning off of the Lyrica is not going so well. It has been a week since I started weaning off of it and my pain level has definitely gone up. I also just do not feel that good all over. But I really want to do this. My next appointment with my doctor is Feb. 19th and I believe that is when I will be starting the Topomax.

I realize that there are not two people that react the same way to the same medications, but from what I have read from my RSD message board, quite a few people have had luck with taking the Topomax.

The only reason I want to switch is because of this weight gain. Otherwise I would have been more than happy staying on the Lyrica or even the Neurontin for that matter.
I think that since you were already taking Lyrica then you probably will not have any problems with the Neurontin. My body did not notice a difference in the two. At least for me they had quite the same results. They both helped with the pain and if that is what you are worried about, well then I think you will be fine.

It's too bad though how much those insurance companies can rule what we are able to take and what we are not. I do not like that they think they know us better than our doctors know what is good for us. But that's another topic for another day uh?
Take Care,
Chris

Old 01-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #6
(female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB Usercardshark HB User

toonces1
I have been on crutches for going on 5 months now because of my pain being so severe, especially when I put weight on my leg, so I was just recently started on neurontin (Gabapentin) for a severe nerve pain in my leg from the knee down to the big toe and it has taken my pain from a 10 to a 7 in 2 and a half weeks. Unfortunately I have also been gaining a large about of weight since I started it (about 7 pounds each week) which doesn't help with knee and leg problems. I also had double vision and dizziness when I first started but it subsided very qucikly (in about 3 or 4 days) which I consider completely worth it for some pain relief. It is mainly the weight gain I'm really struggling with. I am overweight as it is and have been trying to lose weight and eat healthy and to be doing that and still gain weight is extremely discouraging. Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones that doesn' have to deal with side effects from the medication.
Good luck and let us know what you decide and how things go!!

Last edited by cardshark; 01-31-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
(male)

Jwells2006 HB User

i took neruotin at the highest dose of 3600 mg a day did nt do much for me but they also had me on elivil and the 2 made me have bad thoughts

Old 06-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Jwells-

This post is about a year and a half old so don't expect much response. If you keep an eye on the date right about the user name in the left side, you can tell when the post was started....

Old 06-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
(female)

exoticmama HB User

NEVER, NEVER take Neurontin! From my experience, It made me suffer with more nerve pain, and I could not function at all. I was a vegetable laying in bed everday. My husband had to carry to the bathroom and hold me there, while I would just cry from pain everywhere. It even hurt touch my skin!!! Somebody, once told me, "Why do you think they call it Nerontin, because it's ROTTEN!!!!! I honestly which they would take it off the market. Try Suboxone, it help my pain for back and nerve pain. Still on it today.

Closed Thread