It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 02:49 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

lisam1120 HB User
Swelling in my left leg only... could it be oxycontin side effect?

Hi all,

Ok the swelling has still remained only in the left leg and was about the same size this morning as it was last night, which was about 1/2" difference in size from my right leg. It appears to be more swollen tonight, however I just got finished measuring and it is still measuring as 1/2" larger in all areas. I am starting to feel the tightness in my skin though. There is still a sheen/shine to my skin and really when I push on the swollen areas it doesnt feel like its filled with fluid, its just swollen, tight skin. It reminds me alot of when I was pregnant and my feet would swell, accept this is my entire leg. My ankles have completely disappeared as well.

I'm starting to think that it may be the oxycontin, but then that just doesnt make any sense, because it would be both legs and I would think other parts of my body would swell too and i've been on oxycontin before for a month and this didnt happen. I got see my surgeon on Wednesday, so I guess i'll see what he things about it. I love my surgeon to death, but this is the guy that said I couldnt handle anything more than 5mg vicodin because of my size. So I can only imagine what he's going to say when he hears i'm taking oxycontin 3 x a day and oxycodone 3 x a day for BT. I really am hoping that this is not a side effect to the oxycontin, because I really am happy with were my pain levels are at, it has been so nice to be a 2-3 consistently now since last week, there has been no bouncing around going up, then down, then back up again like I was just taking the short acting. My family really has enjoyed having they're mom back and i'm worried that if this is a side effect that the new PM may take me off and switch me to something else. I cant take morphine, duragesic or the methadone, so not sure what he would switch me to.
Hopefully he will just tell me to take anti-water/fluid pills (I dont even know what they are called) and see if that works.

I read that while doing the trials/research on oxycontin that less than 1% of patients in the trial had issues with edema, but it was listed as one of the side effects that was very low on the totem pole.

All I can do now is wait for Wednesday to get here and i'll post back to let you know what the surgeon says about it.

SS.. I know you said you dealt with it when you were on it, has anyone else dealt with only a part of they're body swelling while on oxycontin???

Thanks, Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Swelling in my left leg only... could it be oxycontin side effect?

Hello Lisa....Sorry to hear you are having troubles. Sometimes, there can be quite an adjustment period to any new medication. How long have you been on the new regimen?

Normally, when there are the side effects you mention, it's not constrained to one specific area like that....But, anything is possible. I would continue to monitor the situation and see what happens. Normally with side effects, Docs use the rationale of "at what point do the negatives of the side effect outweigh the positive of the med"? Only you and your Doctor can answer that question, but that's the kind of rationale one will use. Almost every med has some side effect or another....It's just a matter of which ones a patient can tolerate.

Best of luck to you and I hope you start feeling better soon.

Regards,

Ex

Old 01-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hi Lisa,
No, I havent had any swellling, but Im facing having to find something else from my oxy for LA pain, its just too expensive. Also i cant take anything with yellow dye in it, and the 40's are yellow, and the 60,s are brown [some yellow as well] so Im having to take 3 20's up to 3x daily. Its just so expensive. My oxycodone for bt is cheap, so no worries there, and its a light mint green color.
Ive been telling my doc I need to switch. When I mentioned hydromorphone I didnt know it was dilaudid. One of my friends who has a pain pump uses it for BT and loves it. Anyhoo, her eyes about popped out of her head, ,and she said.."ohh we dont wanna go there." Im confused. I looked and dilaudid is a CII the same as oxycontin. What are you going to do if you can stay on the oxycontin? Let me know what your doc says. I cant take a lot of other meds, so Im kind of stuck.
I hope it goes down, maybe it was something you ate? Have you used any lotions, ect. that you new? Its always scary to get a reaction, but try not to worry as long as it doesnt make your toes or foot tingle, ect. Then you need to get help. Reactions that make you lose feeling in the leg, arms, body, arent to be taken lightly. No hives? Is it hot? Call your doc if it doesnt get better soon! I hope all works out well for you at the surgeons office.
I would challenge him if he starts picking at you about the meds. You are finally getting the quality of life you deserve. Its really not any of his business. Your PM is taking care of you.
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 01-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
(female)

Maddavis HB User

Hi,
My husbands leg swelled while on oxicotin however it turned out to be gout, (He got from a reaction to other meds he takes) It was painful and swollen. They ran a blood test and found the gout.
Just a thought for you.
Lisa

Old 01-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Lisa, I am having the exact same problem with my L arm. I first thought it was a skin issue as the skin on my entire left arm began to feel bumpy and red(not shiny like yours) I have complained of the pain and swelling for months with it being ignored(although I have so many issues, there were more pressing problems that needed to be addressed) but it beginning to really bother me. My shirt sleeves will be loose on my right arm but tight on the left. One doc mentioned RSD but when I brought that up to my rheumy he brushed it off saying I had no injury there. My onchologist thought I maybe had a swollen lymph node blocking the fluid but the CT scan showed nothing or at least I am assuming that as no one has called me about the results. I have an appointment Feb. 9th with my rheumy and I'll get a copy then to make sure.

Today the pain has been worse and the whole arm just does not feel right. The swelling does not extend into my wrist or hand, is only in the whole upper arm and forearm.

Anyway, everybody's stumped on this end and I don't know whether to just suck it up and live with it or press the point. If you find out what's up with yours, let me know. I haven't had any med changes so in my case it's not that.

Melissa

Old 01-27-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

lisam1120 HB User

Hi All....
Thank you for all your responses!!! To answer a few questions asked...
The three meds that I am taking now, the tramadol I have been on for 8 yrs, the oxycodone I have been on for 2 yrs, and the oxycontin is fairly new to me, however as mentioned before I had done a trial of the 40mg and then the 80mg for a month with no issues at all. My new PM Doc put me back on all three of these on the 14th of Jan, so almost two weeks now and I only noticed the swelling about 4 days ago. It really is the most bizarre thing i've seen in that it is simply one part of my body, just one entire leg and foot.

This morning I was actually able to see my ankles, but as the day went on, the swelling continued to were they dissappeared again by early evening. I literally just looked at my foot and you can start to see my ankles again coming back. So it appears that the swelling is going down again. If I take my hand and lightly rub my leg, there is some sensitivity to my skin and i'm going to assume that is from my skin being so tight. Nothing severe, but it is sensitive to the touch. There is no discoloration/bruising, no bumps or redness at all and it is neither hot or cold, just a normal temp in my opinion. My leg looks like my other leg, just 1/2" larger in diameter and it has a sheen to it, like there is baby oil on it.

I havent eaten anything out of the ordinary or drank anything either. I dont drink alcohol at all, but I do smoke cigarettes. One of these day's i'll quit, but for now it is my crutch if you will when i'm stressed out. I've been smoking for 20+ yrs. Initially I was a bit concerned about it, but now that it appears to be going down some and not getting worse and its not causing any other issues, then i'm not too concerned.

I was suppose to see my surgeon tomorrow at 9:20am, but we got 4" of snow and are in the process of getting up to 1/2" of ice on top of it as I type (some of you in snow prone areas are probably thinking that I must be crazy worrying about driving in 4", but i'm a Viriginian and we dont know how to drive in 1" of snow let alone 4"...lol, not to mention there is the slip and fall factor, thats the last thing I need). With my appt being that early, I didnt want to take any chances with side roads not being cleared yet and the last thing I want to do is drive on ice, so I had to cancel and reschedule for the 9th of Feb. I was really anxious to see him too, not just for my leg swelling, but to also clear up the question about my CT Scan saying my fusion was "partial"?, go over the new issues with the diffuse bulge at level L4-L5, but most of all I was looking forward to going over the results of my EMG/Nerve Cond test done 2.5 weeks ago.

So for now with the swelling, i'm just going to keep an eye on it. I really cant imagine that it was the medications, just because of the swelling being in only one leg. I may never know what it is or if it does go away prior to my seeing the surgeon, what it was. I havent had any blood work done for about 8 yrs which was when I started to see my former Rheumy and she did a series of blood tests, so maybe its time to request that some of that be done.

I'm not going to worry too much about the oxycontin being taken away at this point from it being a reaction to that unless the swelling just doesnt go away or gets worse. I dont want to stress myself out as this will just increase my pain levels from being tense. I've been so comfortable the past two weeks and I want to remain that way.

If anything changes or when I see the surgeon and the swelling is still there then I will certainley post and let everyone know what is happening and what he thinks it could be.

Until then, thank you all again and will post back on this subject later.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

lisam1120 HB User

Hello All...
Today is Wednesday about 3:15pm and I wanted to let you all know that the swelling in my left leg is just about all gone and appears to be going away for good as normally it would be less in the morning and then increase by evening, however it has remained the same as it was this morning and has not inreased at all and in fact looks to be decreasing. I can actually see my ankles and viens in my foot now and the tight feeling is no longer there. I'm still baffled as to what caused this. My neighbor thought maybe it was something I ate, but again that would have caused whole body swelling. I dont know, maybe I got bit by a spider or something, and maybe thats what caused me to scratch the back of my leg in the crease of where the knee is in front. Whatever caused it, it is going away. Thank god that it was not the oxycontin as I was really worried about that being taken away after it has worked so well for me.

Just wanted to let you know how it was. Also I had forgotten to post about my Dexa Scan and will do so tonight, but on a new thread from this one. That was a very interesting report!!!!

Will post alittle later .

Lisa

Old 01-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
(female)

lynn1961 HB User

Hi Lisa....

Hopefully it is nothing serious. As you say, just watch it until your appt. If it gets really swelled, go to the ER. About driving on ice and snow, I am with you. I am from the deep south now living in MO. and we get snow and ice here as well. We got bombarded with snow a couple of days ago. Now, in some places, it turning into ice. I had an accident that occured on ice. I ended up in a ditch full of snow. So.....I am with you as far as driving in it. I donot drive in it unless I absolutely have to LOL It sure didnt help my back any. I dont even get outside while recovering from back surgery due to the fact i dont want to slip and fall.BTW...I am a smoker too. I wish I could say I wasnt ha.... I am so ready to get off this stuff. The constipation issue is horrible. I know thats what is causing it. Anyways, i am so glad you are feeling better!!!! I am too! Take care....

LYNN

Last edited by Mod08; 01-28-2009 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Dosage amounts are not necessary for discussion purposes.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

lisam1120 HB User

Ok well maybe I spoke too soon about it going away. Its now 1:30am and the swelling is back, however it doesnt appear to be as bad as it was, I can still see a bit of my ankle and the veins in my foot. I havent done any measuring of my leg tonight so i'm not too sure what the diameter is compared to my right, BUT now another problem is arising from this... Im sure almost all of you here have had an IV in your vein for a few days at some point and when it was taken out, your vein was very tender when pushed on and at times could be downright painful. Well the outside of the upper part of my leg is tender to the touch, but the entire length of the inside of my leg, my shines and my ankle are actually "painful". It feels like it does when a vein is bruised or has had a very long IV needle in it for a few days. The "pain" lingers for a few seconds after you run your finger down it and then when not doing anything to it, there is a dull pain that is constant, really just like a bruise feels. So I pulled up a picture of the human body and narrowed it down to see only the main arteries/veins in the body and sure enough the "llac artery" in the exact places that i'm having pain and tenderness with.

I do think i'm going to see if I can get into my primary care doc today sometime and see if they will run some bloodwork just to make sure there is no infection in my blood and to see if they have any idea what this could be. I'm going on 4-5 days now of consistent increase and decrease of swelling, still only in the left entire leg and I think i've given it enough time to correct its self. If I cant get in today, then I may even go to the Urgent care center. Either way I think its time for some bloodwork to be done anyway, Originally I said that it had been 8 yrs since my last work-up had been done, but thats not true, I had a full bloodwork up done prior to my fusion in May of 2007 and my body has been through alot in that time. Better to be safe than sorry.

So i'll continue to post as things change, many thanks to everyone that has responded as always, I really appreciate your thoughts and opinions.
Lisa

Old 01-29-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

lisam1120 HB User

Hello all...
Just an update again as there have been some changes. I was not able to get into my PC doc today, but I did schedule for Tuesday, however I believe that after whats happend today that I will be going to the Ugent Care center in the morning as i'm a bit nervous now. As always the swelling wasnt that bad this morning, but towards the mid-day it swelled to its normal size, however it was not painful or tender today at all. While driving to pick up my daughter this evening from work, I noticed that my RIGHT hand felt funny around the steering wheel, so when I parked to wait for her, I turned on the light and didnt really see anything different, but noticed when I closed my hand and opened it that it felt tight or restricted, that there is a very, very slight numbness to it and it is colder than my left hand, so I went to see if I could take the ring off of my finger, which normally wouldnt be a problem, however I couldnt even get it to go near my knuckle, so it appears as though my hand is swelling now and once again it is only my right hand. Also for the past few days, underneath my eyes have been swollen, like it has pockets of fluid underneath them, I didnt pay too much attention to them and thought it was just because I was tired, as i've been going to bed very very late, or early in the AM I should say, but i've been getting about 7 hrs of sleep, which is my norm and lastly my stomach is bloated and has been, but again I thought maybe it was from constipation, but the more and more I push on my stomach the more it feels like a water bed to me, its bloated but a very soft bloating and doesnt feel like constipation to me as i've had in the past. So my eyes and my stomach have been going on a few days, but I never mentioned them because I thought there were other things causing those problems, now I think its all tied in with the swelling of the leg and now the swelling of my hand.

I still find it very odd and bizarre that there are specific areas that the swelling targets and not my whole body, this is what throws me off and doesnt make any sense to me. Even now i'm really debating if this is the oxycontin doing this or not. It just doesnt make any sense to me why my entire body is not effected if its a medication. It makes me wonder if it could have anything to do with what that first PM Doc injected me with, which even today, I have no idea what she put in me, other than the demerol or if it has anything to do with those medications she had me taking, which not all of them were taken, due to my fear of mixing a total of 11 pills in one days time.

I just think that I need to go and have my blood checked. Something is clearly not right and I think i've given it enough time to clear up on its own.

So I really think that for my safety that i'm going to just go to the Urgent Care Center and have them run some bloodwork on me. By the way at the begining of typing this I mentioned that my right hand was colder than the left and now in ending this, my right hand is now hotter than my left. So things are changing every hour it seems.

I will let you know what the doc there says about all this and post when I get home later.

Thanks all for hearing me out
Lisa

Old 01-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

lisam1120 HB User

Ok well I just got back from seeing my PC doc, I was able to get in with them as they had a cancellatioin.

Im alittle nervous and really scared right now and I think maybe even shocked and confused. Going over all my symptoms, even some I didnt think about until they were mentioned as well as doing an in house urine test, there is a chance that I may have Kidney Disease and really we wont know anything solid until all my blood work comes back.

I saw the nurse practitioner, but she ended up calling in a regular doctor in the end to confirm what she thought.

We first went over symptoms and several I didnt think anything of until they were brought up. She then examined me. We went over the medications that i'm taking and how long i've been taking them, as well as the medications that I WAS taking with the first PM Doc, we also went over the procedures that she did and I explained that I was a bit concerned because I have no idea what she injected me with at all, and that during the time I was injected I was shot up with demerol so I was out in space most of the time. She is going to request that my records get faxed over to her, so she can see what I was in fact injected with.

She then went out of the room to consult with the other Doc and then they both came back in to talk to me. Based on all the information and symptoms, they both feel that there is a slight possibility that this could be Kidney disease.

I knew something was not right when I got weighed and I was 10 lbs heavier than I normally weigh. That right there told me that I was full of fluid. I normally weigh about 115lbs and I weighed in today at 127lbs, HUGE difference for me. They did a in house urine test and found blood in it, however she stressed that no protein was found. She is sending it off to the lab to see if I have a UTI, but I know that I dont as i've suffered from chronic UTI's all of my life and i'm actually suppose to be taking a maintenece dose of antibiotic to prevent it from repeated returns. Anyway the main symptoms that I have that have matched up with Kidney Disease are
1. Swelling in legs, feet, ankles, hand and under eyes 2. Blood in urine 3. Itching 4. Numbness in hands 5. Bone pain 6. Feeling cold all the time (three weeks ago I was walking around my house with a winter hat and scarf on all day) 7. Leg/Flank Pain.

Its all very alarming to me and to hear it from two health care professionals just makes it all the more real.

I guess I get to sit on pins and needles through the weekend to hear back from the results of the blood work.

Also apparently the Abdominal Hernia I have repaired in 2001, is back. I had actually gone back to my surgeon 3 yrs ago about it being back, but he insisted it was still good, but today i've been told to go to a different surgeon that it is clearly not ok and is back. This too may be a cause of my swelling, but wont know that until the blood comes back.

Please say a prayer for me and keep your fingers crossed. I will post later, but for now i think i'm going to lay down for a bit.

Thank you
Lisa

Old 01-31-2009, 07:33 AM   #12
(female)

lynn1961 HB User

awww Lisa.....when it rains it pours huh? Hope all is ok. Ive not had that issue so I dont have an opinion or even any advice other than tell you to get to a doc and you are already doing that. Let us/me know how everything turns out for you.....and of course, I hope you are ok!

Old 01-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

Oh Lisa, don't stress yourself out until you know for sure there's a reason to be nervous. I really don't think you have kidney disease. I just think its all the cortisone that has been injected into your body this past month. Heck, I have swollen ankles, feet and legs from time to time too, and I also have puffiness under my eyes too. Its called water weight and from not drinking enough water sometimes it can also be from being dehydrated. I think your letting your mind get carried away here thinking that these symptoms you have could be your kidney's . Its so easy to do with so much information on the internet, so try not to surf to much on kidney problems. you have had a lot of injections lately and I am sure most of what you had is cortisone and nerve numbing agents, so all of that can cause these side effects. Also oxycontin can cause this. you have also just started on a new regimen so give yourself a break.. Both medications can cause swelling, since your Dr didn’t know what was in the shots you had, they are probably being extra cautious and making you feel paranoid . I know its easier said than done, but really, to worry before you have your tests back is not a good thing to do. It will cause an increase in your pain and get your mind going in a million directions. You have just found a great PM Dr who is helping you, so think about the good things right now. Such as your kids, your dogs, and your husband. If you worry all weekend it will effect everyone in the household so try and remain cool calms and collect. I think your going to be just fine. I have been in your shoes more than once, being scared something was wrong with me too, and every time it was all for nothing as I was fine. I stressed myself out for no reason and felt so foolish. I had myself buried and had picked out my funeral music, as well as my casket. Because one Dr was sure I had a big melanoma cancerous mole, And it was all for nothing. So I have learned to not do that to myself. If I can help Just one person than let that be you. I Just want to offer you some advice to not get in the panic mode right now. If something is wrong with your kidneys, ( and I hope there isn't) you will get it taken care of and see a good DR to fix you right up. Many people have blood in there urine for No reason. Did you know that? I assure you that its common and often times DR'S don't know why but same people just have blood in there urine.. It's not un common. Dr's tend to make us worried as It's there job to think of things that could be causing the swelling so don't let them scare you into thinking its kidney disease. I can't tell you how many times I have had my dermatologist tell me there pretty sure I have melanoma. I have had a lot of suspicious abnormal growths but never the melanoma. I have had Basal cell carcinoma 10 times in the past 8 years so they tend to think melanoma is next, but it never is. But they sure have spooked me and made me stress for weeks and weeks waiting for my results. So I know first hand about being worried for nothing and having Dr's alarm us. try your hardest to not get alarmed. Some DR'S are worse than others when it comes to telling you it could be this or it could be that. The Dr's you saw today might be in that category. we have all been in there and had to wait for our lab results so I know just how you feel and how scared you are, so take it from me. It's not worth it sweetie.

I am thinking good thoughts for you Lisa and I am holding your hand through this until your test results are in. Please know that I will be praying that you are Just fine. And I will be with you in spirit waiting for the good news. Hugs. SS

Last edited by slipperyslope; 01-31-2009 at 06:00 PM.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #14
(female)

lynn1961 HB User

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww........sorry to read that Lisa. Just take slippery's advice and dont worry or try not to worry. On a couple of occasions, I was told I had something wrong and I ended up ok. And 1 of those times, I was told I had a serious lung disease. Scared me to craziness. I became obsessed with reading all about this disease. I cried and cried....I just made myself sick. I was going to pulmonary docs and all. I ended up taking all my CT scans and reports to a doc in New Orleans that specialized in this disease and guess what? I didnot have the disease. UGH...as slippery says....all that worry for nothing. Dont get me wrong, I was so relieved after all that.BTW.....**REMOVE***. A very serious illness. Just concentrate on your back......be happy you are feeling good

LYNN

Last edited by Mod08; 02-01-2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Do not chat about public figures. Thank you.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:01 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

lisam1120 HB User

Hello Everyone....
Just an update and its a good one so far. I wanted to let everyone know that I have had NO swelling anywhere at all, at anytime for the past two days now. Saturday and Sunday, there was nothing, maybe just a trace under my eyes, but nothing like it had been. I dont think i've ever been so happy to see my ankles. lol I am hoping that this is a good sign to some hopefully great news to soon come my way, once my lab results are back.

SS... I cant thank you enough, as you really really put my mind at ease with letting me know about all the other things that it could be, even though i'd rather have none of the issues at all, i'll take anything over the Kidney Disease. I dont think I will ever take another Tylenol again in my life because of this. The internet can be a great place, and then it can be a horrible place at times. All I could hear the Doc & NP say was that they believed it to possibly be KD, so of course I went home to read up on it and it seemed like my picture should have been put right next to the name of the disease. I could have been the poster child for it according to what it was saying and how I was feeling. Anyway, your post helped to really put my mind at ease, so I really appreciate it. I'm sending huge hugs your way.

Lynn, thank you as well for sharing about your misdiagnosis. Do these Doc's really understand what us patients go through, when they tell us something that isnt true? I mean really, your's for instance would have drove me insane, and then to find out you didnt have it. Wow. The emotional stress that one goes through is debilitating. I'm so glad to hear that it was not what they had told you. I hope you gave the other doc a piece of your mind and then some!!! Thats why i'm so glad that they have these sites now where you can rate a doctor, so you can read what others have gone through before you see them, at least then, your not wasting your time, money and your saving your emotions for someone that is accurate and truly cares about you as the patient. I have x'd off several docs that were in these websites from the feedback of they're patients and I wish I could thank them for speaking up.

Anyway.. I will certainley let you all know what happens as soon as I get my results back, once those come back and if everything is ok, then I guess I should start searching for yet another surgeon for this adominal hernia. Just what I need another surgery to add to the notch on my bed... Just kidding. If its not one this its another. What thats song called "one way or another", well i'm going to officially rename it... "one thing or another" and call that my song. lol

By the way, no problems with pain either. Still at a level 2-3, although I may have done alittle more than I should have tonight with the Super Bowl Party that we hosted. Ended up with about 41 adults and kids. Thank God that everyone brought a dish though, there was just no way I could stand on my feet and cook for that many people and believe me the first thing I did this morning was hide my meds in a place that no-one would have had access too. About 7 months ago over the summer we had an end of the year pool party and forgot about hiding my percocet and someone had gone in and helped themselves to 15 pills and to top it all off, there were two police officers at our get together, so when I noticed that my bottle looked more empty than it should and I counted and found them missing I immediatley called our friend and asked her what we could do about it. Really there isnt anything they can do, unless I knew who took them, but I filed a report anyway. So I learned the hard way and now anytime someone is in our house the first thing I do is hide them.

I hope everyone had a fairly painfree weekend and we'll chat soon.
Lisa

Closed Thread