It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
(female)

swtsarah222 HB User
Do all urgent cares treat you bad???

So I went to urgent care the other day because the other night, i bent over and felt like my back broke literally- Bent over the crib and felt as if I had no strength in my back to get up. So i called my dr, They cant get me in for two weeks!!!!! So i went to urgent care! Thinking they would help! What a joke. They did a x ray didnt show anything broken, which i told them nothing was broken, sent me home with robaxin and naproxen, i was happy thinking i would go home and feel better. HAHAHA. To my surprise nothing. I took the meds and it didnt help at all, still same weak, out of place feeling along my spine. I called and asked them if they thought it might have something to do with a disc, the nurse was very rude and was acting like i was lying about everything. I mean i know their are drug addicts out there, but I am not one of them. In fact I still have meds from gallbladder surgery and havent taken them because they told me it was a pulled muscle. Dont know what to do in a bad situation because urgent care apparently deals with druggies and I cant see my dr for two weeks, i guess i will sit back and hope im fine and i just pulled a muscle.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User
Re: Do all urgent cares treat you bad???

Why don't you try your local ER room at a hospital. it might be better than urgent care. They can hopefully be of more help to you than the ER room. I can't beleive your DR is 2 weeks out. that is not good, my DR has a group of Dr's on call who can always see someone elses patient. Its probably because you called the front desk and told them you hurt your back, that is a very common complaint and I guess your GP Dr feels its not urgent. Maybe you should call your Dr and say you need a check up as your not feeling well I bet you get in Quicker this way. sorry the urgent care was no help. Are you wanting an MRI? As it sounds like they checked you out, so at least you should feel okay that its not an ER as they can tell what is serious and what isn't. so don't panic that its something medically urgent. It sounds like your wanting medication? try my sugestion about a check up with your Dr if that does not work go to the ER Room and see what they can do for you. Sometimes they are helpful and other times they are not and act the same way urgent care does. so it depends on what kind of Dr you get.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I live in Ohio too and I can tell you that not all Urgent Cares treat you like that. Alot of it has to to do with the area of town the Urgent Care is located or the particular doctor. If you have left over meds from a previous surgery ask your doctor if you can take those, that's what I would do.

brian

Old 01-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
(male)

MrCanada HB User

I'd go back to the urgent care again and let them know what meds they gave you last time and whether they worked or not. If they don't take you seriously ask to speak with their supervisor.

I'm in Canada but this is what I'd do.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

Dear swtsarah222,

I don't mean to be negative, but it has been my experience that urgent care centers are not usually helpful--even when we are legitimately in pain. Because these centers have been abused by drug seekers for so long, their red flags automatically go up when asked about pain relief. If you suggest anything opiate-like as a possibility, their warnings signals triple in strength it seems.

I'm so sorry that it takes so long to get into your physician when you have a serious problem!

Please don't sour on the people who run Urgent Care centers. It's just that they've been burned so often that they aren't willing to risk themselves. Could they consult with your regular physician over the phone to verify that you are not simply seeking medicine? One time when I was in Michigan and needed some urgent attention, the Urgent Care center called my Physician here in Florida and spoke to the Nurse and, then, to my doctor. After that conversation, I was treated very well and received the help I needed.

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Old 02-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
(male)

suffering one HB User

When I broke my foot a couple years ago I first went to an urgent care just to see if in fact it was broken (cheaper on my insurance, and unfortunately I had to go that route). They sent me home with 800 MG of Motrin. In my experiences with Urgent Care's it seems as if all these Dr's think you are drug seekers....even with a shattered foot!!!!! Unreal....AVOID THEM!!!!!

Obviously I later ended up having to see my Dr. a couple days later and they thought their treatment of me was unreal.

Last edited by suffering one; 02-17-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtsarah222 View Post

I mean i know their are drug addicts out there, but I am not one of them.
Unfortunately, that is the problem. Many abusers don't have regular access to meds....Or run out early....Or end up in WD.....So, they use urgent care and ERs to get their meds. Therefore, these facilities have become very strict and very cautious in giving out meds. In your case, even though you were in pain, there wasn't any conclusive evidence via their tests thus, they probably were very conservative....And probably are with everyone in a similar situation. It seems that one has to be about on their death bed these days to be treated with pain meds when you go to after hours care.

Sorry this happened to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 02-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

REMZY HB User

it is still more medicallt ethical for dr.'s to get dupped from time to time so that people with real pain issues and clinical need for analgesia can get it, thats from the american pai dr. assoc.
i know what ya mean if you thought naproxen or motrin would help you would just buy it otc and not pay for dr. visit. ya know

Closed Thread