It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
(female)

xocandyheartsxo HB User
Need input ASAP!!~Pinched nerve

Okay I need some advice/opinions here on a major issue im having. It's really important. To make a long story short, i've had this weird back pain for awhile now (been going on for MONTHS) It started as a funny pain i've never felt before, in one area on my upper back on the left. It got worse & I went to see my Dr (A new Dr actually) to see what it could be.Basically I went for a few visits, she gave me licoderm patches (which suck) same thing, no help. Recently I went back again because all of a sudden it's like...ka POW. It seems to have gotten SO much worse. it's constant. Burning, tingling, stabbing, itching, cramping, all in rotation. I've been going out of my mind. Basically she and another Dr took a look @ & felt my back again and diagnosed it as a pinched nerve....She gave me amtytriptaline.......which....yeah...suc ks too. I scheduled an MRI for this sat, which can't come soon enough b/c i'm scared about whats going on. NOTHING has helped this pain lately. I'm not a cry baby, or weak or a drug seeker....i can take pain, but this is ridiculous. OTC stuff does NOTHING. Today I tried in a non chalant way to see if she may give me something a bit more appropriate for my levels of pain (Not to mention anxiety b/c of all this....insane heart rate, BP through the roof...I work myself up) No, I got some new piece of crap medication for nerve pain that I refuse to even bother with.

I wanted to go in and see her one more time before I resorted to the ER....
So I suppose my question is if I go to the ER and be honest with them about how much pain I really am in, tell them my problem and that i'm having an MRI, & my dr won't prescribe me anything that will help or has helped me for my pain, will they be likely to prescribe me some painkillers to just get me through the next few days even or anything?? It seems like it would be acceptable, and I have no other options...HELP! Any experiences, advice, input would be helpful, ASAP, because if i'm going to go it is going to be soon. Thank you!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
(female)

lynn1961 HB User
Re: Need input ASAP!!~Pinched nerve

hi candy....

Sorry you are hurting. We all know all too well on this board what back pain feels like and its not good. OTC stuff is not going to help a pinched nerve. AND neither is a narcotic. The nerve pain your doc gave you, many of us are probably taking the same medication, myself being one. You have to take a strong narcotic in addition to a nerve pain med. in order to find relief. trust me.....I do know. If you go to the ER, chances are, they will give you something for pain but it will prolly be more on the lines of a weaker pain medication. Mostly because of you not being diagnosed as of yet. Your doctor thinks that you have a pinched nerve but she cant be for sure until test are done. My suggestion is, that you start taking that nerve medication your doctor prescribed or you will be labled a drug seeker simply because you didnt do what your doc told you to do. Doctors are very reluctant to prescrib strong narcotics.....and if you go to a ER and tell a ER doc your doc WILLNOT prescrib you anything stronger, I will bet the ER doc willnot neither.

LYNN

Old 02-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

REMZY HB User
Question Re: Need input ASAP!!~Pinched nerve

ya i agree, kinda sounds like you have your mind made up nothing other than narcotics is the cure, narcs cure nothing. and the pain symptoms you r descibing r quite remarkable. narcotic meds just mask pain they dont cure it, and if they cover up your pain without a diagnosis they may neve solve your problem and could even create a more dangerous situation and jepordise your health. i hope you get better soon. i would defanately take the nerve pain stuff, i cant wait for my PM dr. to add that to my meds

Old 02-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
(female)

bekkieboop89 HB User

The thing about Narcotic painkillers is that while you may "get though" the day with them, you'll probably spend the day sleeping. Most people finds strong pain meds bother their stomach, make them dizzy, make them sweaty etc...and they might not even take away your pain, and you'll be worse than you were to begin with.

Stay off your feet, and try putting some ice on your back. Take the pills your doctor has given you, sometimes they take a while to really take effect. Once your MRI comes back, your DR will know how to treat you better, but if she's not giving you narcotics now, it's probably for a reason.

I hope you feel better soon,

Take care!

XOXO!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
(female)

10sox HB User

It seems that I am not in the majority here, but narcotics are the only thing that touches my nerve pain. However, unlike you...I have had many, many MRI's and long history of back issues.

I am currently on a nerve medicine (my 2nd one) and it's not doing much for my nerve pain. But, there are MANY, MANY people who do get relief from this medication. SO, I really think you should give it a try.

I would try and stick it out till that MRI on Saturday. If you absolutely cannot and need to go to the ER, I would not tell the ER Doctor, that your current doctor refuses to give you a narcotic. That would definitely raise some red flags. I think if you go in there and tell them that your dr has ordered an MRI for this Saturday but your pain has gotten so bad that you need some relief until then. I am not sure what the protocol is for a situation like this. Hopefully they would give you a few pills to tie you over until the MRI. I am sure if you explain to your current Dr. that you were in so much pain that you could not take it, they will understand.

Just be very careful about going behind doctors backs to get medications. It's not something they take lightly. But then again, no one should have to suffer if its preventable.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!!

10sox

Last edited by 10sox; 02-18-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

REMZY HB User

ya and try the ice like the oher guy said its very effective, hope ou feel bette r

Old 02-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

Hi there,

I'm afraid I'm with 10sox with this one. I have a crushed T8 nerve from a car accident and it's the most terrible pain, i've been told bone pain is pretty bad too. Anyway, nerve pain is very difficult to treat and I need a combo of narcotics and nerve pain medication and I still have about a 6 in the morning ranging to a 9-10 by the end of the day. Interestingly it's rotation that makes my nerve pain worse too, it causes the nerve to pull according to what the neurosurgeons tell me.

Definitely have the MRI (though I'm sorry to say that my T8 nerve damage was only found when they did a thoracic fusion, until then I was just telling them that I have this horrible stitch and electric shock pain around the right side of my chest - worse when i breathe in). Keep telling them about the pain but try and be as calm and reasonable as you can - ERs and some drs are terrible for just dismissing you when you get upset...and I know how hard it is not to get upset. I feel for you.

The ice is a good one but is usually contraindicated for nerve pain - there is no swelling and the ice can make the pain sensation worse. I find a hot pack works wonders and my neurosurgeon put me on to these stick on hot packs that i can use on my clothes in winter. I'm so sorry you're going through this and it totally sucks that your dr won't listen. I hope the MRI comes through for you.

Closed Thread