It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
(male)

jaanho62 HB User
combining opiates and tramadol

combining opiates and tramadol? Is this dangerous? Are there pain relief benefits?

Last edited by jaanho62; 02-25-2009 at 04:54 AM.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User
Re: combining opiates and tramadol

They BOTH are pain medications so it can be dangerouse

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Deleted Post

Last edited by ozzybug; 02-25-2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Deleted Post

Old 02-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
(female)

Lovemydegus HB User

Combining tramadol with opiates can cause people to go into withdrawals if your dependant on opiates. This warning is usually in the pharmacy handout for tramadol when you get it filled. And I know this by personal experience also. So be careful.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

lisam1120 HB User

Hello,
Your doctor should have told you if there would be any interactions with what you are taking, unless your doctor doesnt know EVERYTHING that you are taking, then obviously he wouldnt know if there were any danger's.

If you dont mind my asking.... You only mentioned the tramadol what else are you concerned about?

There are many places online that you can check to see if there are any "drug interactions" with what you are taking, simply type in the medications that you are taking and it will come up if there are any interactions, not only with other medications but food interactions as well. However I believe that the safest way to figure out if there are any interactions is to either call your doctor and ask them or call your pharmacy and they will be able to tell you.

I am simply speaking about MY experience with the two medications, so please understand that everyone is different and will react differently than myself.

I have been taking tramadol for 9 yrs and just over the past two yrs I have taken several kinds of other pain medications, such as vicodin, oxycodone and oxycontin and I have never had any problems taking them combined. I know that there is an increased risk of seizure though when they are combined, this being the biggest concern but there are other side effects that could be a problem as well.

Good luck and be careful,
Lisa

Old 02-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I am taking tramadol along with both a long-acting morphine and oxycodone for break-through pain. I have not experienced any problems. I would sya my biggest problem has been with the tramadol-if I don't take it for one day, I get very severe insomnia. Otherwise, no problems at all. As the others said, your doctor is going to know the best about your specific condition and whether this combination is appropriate for you. In terms of major drug interactions, I haven't experienced any.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

tramadol is good with most opiates. I use it with morphine, I have used it with vicadin, oxycodone, and on and on. I have not heard what the other posters are saying but it is best to check with your Dr or your pharmacist.

good luck, ss

Old 02-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Tramadol is a fairly new pain medicine and many docs aren't sure of how this particular synthetic will interact with long time opiates. The chemical makeup seems to be very different and can cause problems for some people when taken with opiates. Tramadol has a very limiting amount you can orally take a day...300mg. Those that need to take a pain killer because of serious chronic pain would probably want to choose a drug that has a wider range of what you can take without combining with other opiates. Husbands doctor says he would rather stick with one type of pain relief or at least one type that docs are familiar with so if there is problems (such as seizures) he would be able to better assess the situation without having to decide if it was one or the other or the combination....and for those that are on multiple meds of all kinds something like Oxycodone or codeine are better known and a better predictability.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I did not have any problems with the tramadol and Vicodin but that was just for me. The problem that you really need to be aware of is tramadol combined with any antidepressant although some people don't have a problem. You can experience something called serotonin syndrome which is very serious and can be deadly.

brian

Old 02-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

tramadol isn't new its been on the market for well over 10 years. Just wanted to clarify that. Also the max dose you can take per day is 400 MGS vs 300 MGS.

Last edited by slipperyslope; 02-25-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

lisam1120 HB User

SS is correct in that Tramadol/Ultram is not new as i've been on it for 9 yrs as stated earlier. She is also correct in the doseage as well. I am taking the 400mg which is max a day. The 300mg max a day that Ann mentioned is for the ER (extended release) Ultram/tramadol, which I have also tried and it didnt seem to work as well for me as the IR (immediate release) tramadol did.

It is a pain medication that many docs have NO problems prescribing as it is very safe for long term use and works well for many people. I use it for Fibromyalgia and it is the ONLY medication that controls my Fibro pain. The only issues I have ever run into is that if I am late taking it by a few hours, I start to yawn nonstop. My mother also takes this for her Fibro as well and she has the exact same reaction as I do when we take it late. It works fast too, normally within a half hour and my Fibro pain is under control.

Initially is was thought when Tramadol first came out that you would not experience withdrawls, however as the years went on, they found that many many paitents were in fact going through withdrawl when stopped abruptley, so they have since changed the insert to include withdrawls being possible if taken for an extended time and stopped without tapering down. I have stopped several times all together and have never run into suffering withdrawls as others have. I simply have the yawning problem which is my indicator that its time to take my next dose or that is my withdrawl when I went off of it all at once.

Its a love/hate type of relationship with this med. Many people swear by it, such as myself and my mother and others could do without as it does nothing for them.

It all depends on the individual taking it and they're condition they are taking it for.

Lisa

Old 03-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #12
(female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User
Lightbulb Re: combining opiates and tramadol

Since 2004, I have been prescribed tramadol & percocet. I've never had any problems with either.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #13
(female)

tlcforever HB User

I recently spoke to my pain doc about taking tramadol with hydrocodone. I take 200 mg Ultram ER daily and use the tramadol/Ultram and hydrocodone when things get bad. I use the hydrocodone when it seems more severe because I think my body is some what used to the tramadol. He said this was fine. Previously the pharmacist had told me the big thing was not to take them at the same time. You need to take them at least 4 hours apart to prevent over sedation. I do notice more sedation with the regular tramadol than with the ER.

It does take several days on the ER to notice a real difference. I have switched between it and the immed. release due to a mix up in filling rx. The doc told me I could take any combination on the ER and immed release up to 400 mg a day. This is nice since I have the 50 mg immed. release I can add to my morning dose of ER if I've had a bad night . If something happens during the day I have the option of taking more tramadol or hydrocodone.

I think hydrocodone is Vicodin but have taken the generic so long can't remember.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcforever View Post
I think hydrocodone is Vicodin but have taken the generic so long can't remember.
Yes you are correct that hydrocodone is in Vicodin. However it does have Tylenol(acetaminophen) in it as well unless you have it filled at a compounding pharmacy where you could get straight hydrocodone. Just an FYI.

brian

Closed Thread