It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
(male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User
Opana vs Ms Contin

They both are morphine type meds, both LA. What IS the difference between the two ? I nknow some meds are "derivatives" of others like Darvacet derived from methadone. Is Oxymorphone an active metabolite of oxycodone ?What is the difference between OxymORPHONE ( Opana ) and regular MorPHINE....
I read that Oxycodone ( Percs) metabolizes or converts the medication into oxymorphone. So it seems that Opana is more related to Oxycodone than it is to Morphine. I am SO confused

Last edited by lifeaftr40; 03-19-2009 at 06:05 AM.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:21 AM   #2
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User
Re: Opana vs Ms Contin

I would think that they were related to the drug MORPHINE but sounds like it is more related to Oxycodone. Now I am curious.. Do ALL the OXY drugs convert to oxymorphine as they are eliminated thru the body ? SO anyone on Percocets will test positive for Oxymorphone on their UA ? Now that brings up ANOTHER question ( may need to post new thread)... If someone is on MS Contin and Percs, what will their UA show... Oxymorphone and Morphine ? How do the UA tell the difference between the different drugs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2009, 06:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

how about asking your pharmacist or your PM DR. I take MS Contin, Opana is different I know that for a fact. you could also look it up online and compare them, I bet there is info on the differences.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User

the web DID say Oxycodone was broken down into Oxymorphone.. SO maybe the names just sound the same

Old 03-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeaftr40 View Post
What IS the difference between the two ?
Opana is a relatively new LA med for chronic pain. Its "claim to fame" is that it supposedly targets a different receptor in the brain....One that doesn't cause euphoria, and therefore is less addictive in nature. It's also very expensive.

The problem with this concept is that although that may be true, the receptors that they don't target, are the primary pain receptors....And the ones most likely to be sending out pain signals. Therefore, many people who take the med report that it doesn't work well....Or even work at all.

I've never tried it, but I have done research on it and if you do a search on this board, you will see that the feedback is overwhelmingly negative. Just type "Opana" in the search box and go from there.

Ms Contin is LA morphine. It's been around quite a while and is available in generic and is very affordable. Other LA oral morphine products are "Kadian" and "Avinza." All three are basically the same. All three have the same active ingredient, or oral morphine. Ms Contin comes in a pill form, while the other two are capsules with very tiny beads in them.

Ms Contin is every 12 hours. Kadian is every 12-24 hours and Avinza is every 24 hours. Most patients report, however, that all three don't last as long as they claim. But, that should be no surprise to anyone who has taken LA meds such as Oxycontin....It doesn't last 12 hours as Purdue Pharma claims.

LA Morphine works very well. The only negative is that it has poor bioavailability which means it isn't absorbed well via the stomach and GI tract....Therefore, you need more of the med, to do the same work as a good bioavailability drug. Oxycodone, for example, has excellent bioavailability, so you need less. Your Doc should know the transition table.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ex

Old 03-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
(male)

nnccntrygal HB User

I have a friend who was on Duragesic 25 mcg every 72 hrs who recently converted to Opana. He said this meds helped his pain MORE than the Duragesic. This had been the only LA med he had been on ( the Duragesic ). He did not have any medication for BT pain

Old 10-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
(male)

ExAddict HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeaftr40 View Post
They both are morphine type meds, both LA. What IS the difference between the two ? I nknow some meds are "derivatives" of others like Darvacet derived from methadone. Is Oxymorphone an active metabolite of oxycodone ?What is the difference between OxymORPHONE ( Opana ) and regular MorPHINE....
I read that Oxycodone ( Percs) metabolizes or converts the medication into oxymorphone. So it seems that Opana is more related to Oxycodone than it is to Morphine. I am SO confused
well opana is a combination of both oxycontin (oxycodone er) and morphine...hence the name "oxy" "morphone"...its a medicaly proven fact that opanas are 2x stronger than oxycodone and 9x stronger than morphine...plus when you take an opana and eat a full meal with alot of fatty foods the opana is 3x stronger than oxycontin... for instance if you take a 40 mg opana its equal to taking an 80 mg oxycontin but if you take the 40 mg opana and eat a full course meal with alot of fatty foods directly before or after its equal to taking 120 mg of oxycontin...and also the metabolize theroy you heard is complete bs...< edited > ...hope this helps

Last edited by hb-mod; 10-09-2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Please do not suggest internet searches, or post disallowed websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
(male)

ExAddict HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnccntrygal View Post
I have a friend who was on Duragesic 25 mcg every 72 hrs who recently converted to Opana. He said this meds helped his pain MORE than the Duragesic. This had been the only LA med he had been on ( the Duragesic ). He did not have any medication for BT pain
duragesic is a patch which release a minimum amount fo the medication opana is released more rapid and with a stronger dose...opanas are a seriously strong medication in comparison...for example...if you know of both these medications im sure you know of oxycontin and morphine as well as the strengths of these meds...well opana (oxymorphone) is 2x stronger than oxy and 9x stronger than morphine...plus... if you take an opana and eat a full meal with fatty foods directly before or after taking the med it strengthens to 3x stronger than oxy...example...if you take a 40 mg opana its the same as taking an 80 mg oxy...but if you eat a full meal with fatty foods directly before or after taking the 40 mg opana its the same as taking 120 mg of oxy...in other words you really shouldnt need anything for the breakthrough pain...if you do take a few advil or tylenol or something with acetaminophen it increases the strength of any pain med

Old 10-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #9
(male)

ExAddict HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlovesdogs View Post
I would think that they were related to the drug MORPHINE but sounds like it is more related to Oxycodone. Now I am curious.. Do ALL the OXY drugs convert to oxymorphine as they are eliminated thru the body ? SO anyone on Percocets will test positive for Oxymorphone on their UA ? Now that brings up ANOTHER question ( may need to post new thread)... If someone is on MS Contin and Percs, what will their UA show... Oxymorphone and Morphine ? How do the UA tell the difference between the different drugs
no oxys do not convert to oxymorphine ...oxymorphone(opana) is its own drug well a combination of oxy and morphine and it is a medicaly proven fact that the strength of opana is 2x stronger than oxy and 9x stronger than morphine...plus... if you take an opana and eat a full meal with fatty foods directly before or after taking the med it strengthens to 3x stronger than oxy...example...if you take a 40 mg opana its the same as taking an 80 mg oxy...but if you eat a full meal with fatty foods directly before or after taking the 40 mg opana its the same as taking 120 mg of oxy...i know from experience...i used to take 16-240 mg of oxys daily sometimes more...i would feel the same affect if not better from only and never more than 80 mg of opana...honestly i dont know how i survived my pill addiction...and to answer your second question...oxycontin/oxycodone/percocet/roxycet... ms contin/morphine... opana/oxymorphone... hydrocodone/vicodan/loratab and even heroin all show up as an opiate or opiod...google it...seek and you shall find

Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 AM   #10
(male)

ExAddict HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Opana is a relatively new LA med for chronic pain. Its "claim to fame" is that it supposedly targets a different receptor in the brain....One that doesn't cause euphoria, and therefore is less addictive in nature. It's also very expensive.

The problem with this concept is that although that may be true, the receptors that they don't target, are the primary pain receptors....And the ones most likely to be sending out pain signals. Therefore, many people who take the med report that it doesn't work well....Or even work at all.

I've never tried it, but I have done research on it and if you do a search on this board, you will see that the feedback is overwhelmingly negative. Just type "Opana" in the search box and go from there.

Ms Contin is LA morphine. It's been around quite a while and is available in generic and is very affordable. Other LA oral morphine products are "Kadian" and "Avinza." All three are basically the same. All three have the same active ingredient, or oral morphine. Ms Contin comes in a pill form, while the other two are capsules with very tiny beads in them.

Ms Contin is every 12 hours. Kadian is every 12-24 hours and Avinza is every 24 hours. Most patients report, however, that all three don't last as long as they claim. But, that should be no surprise to anyone who has taken LA meds such as Oxycontin....It doesn't last 12 hours as Purdue Pharma claims.

LA Morphine works very well. The only negative is that it has poor bioavailability which means it isn't absorbed well via the stomach and GI tract....Therefore, you need more of the med, to do the same work as a good bioavailability drug. Oxycodone, for example, has excellent bioavailability, so you need less. Your Doc should know the transition table.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ex
well to be honest i am an ex opiate addict and opana works VERY WELL i was taking 16-240 mg of oxy daily and would fell the same effect if not stronger with only 40-80 mg of opana...and as far as having no euphoric effect thats bs...they would make me feel much euphoria...opanas are 2x stronger than oxycontin and 9x stronger than morphine plus if you would eat a full meal with lots of fatty foods either directly before or after taking the opana it is 3x stronger than oxy..example...a 40 mg opana is the same as taking 80 mg of oxycontin...but when combined with fatty foods a 40 mg opana is the same as taking 120 mg of oxycontin...i know from experience...opana/oxymorhone is an opiate just the same as oxycontin/oxycodone/percocet/roxycet...
ms contin/morphine...dilaudid/hydromorphine...vicodan/hydrocodone/loratab and even heroin which all attatch to the same brain receptors which is why they have meds that knock all of the above off your brain receptors...google it

Old 03-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #11
(male)

clwinbe HB User

I have had severe back pain for some time. After the last disk rupture I was put on Opana 40 mg. It worked very well for me. I have been fused now and my pain is bad again after returning to work. My doc just put me on to 30 mg MS Contin. See if I can function on it. We shall see. The Opana keeps me awake all night. I have been dosing with 5 mg oxycodone as needed in addition to the Opana.

This really sucks.....

Old 03-16-2010, 11:53 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Opana is a relatively new LA med for chronic pain.
Actualy although Opana is a new brand, oxymorphone has been around for over 60 years (Endo used to sell it under the brand name Numorphan)

It is one of a host of semi synthetic opoids that were synthasised mainly in Germany before WWII, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, dihydrocodeine, oyxmorphone and others besides.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:33 AM   #13
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAddict View Post
i know from experience...opana/oxymorhone is an opiate just the same as oxycontin/oxycodone/percocet/roxycet...
ms contin/morphine...dilaudid/hydromorphine...vicodan/hydrocodone/loratab and even heroin which all attatch to the same brain receptors which is why they have meds that knock all of the above off your brain receptors...google it
Ex has does some excellent research on Opana and posted in another thread about the different types of receptors, including the Mu1 which Opana is not supposed to effect.

In my experience the body metabolizes different opiates groups differently. Which one of the reasons my doctor will rotate me between Oxycodone and Morphine based pain killers when I build up a tolerance to one so that my tolerance will build with the other and drop with the one I was on then he switches me back. On occassion I have heard of people being rotated through oxycodone/hydrocodone/morphine for tolerance issues. Personally my body doesn't get any relief from any of the hydrocodone based medications so that's not an option for me.

I've also used methadone as an LA which is basically heroin without the euphoria, hence its use as a detox for heroin to avoid physical withdrawal symptoms.

~Myo

Closed Thread