It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
(female)

Linda83 HB User
Gel Fenytayl Patches

I was told I shoud find the gel patches as they work so much better. I don't know the name of the type of patch. 25 mg. I have no health insurance and need to get generic.
Please advise

Old 04-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User
Re: Gel Fenytayl Patches

I am a long term fentanyl user. I disagree with what you were told. First, there are several makers of generic patches. Duragesic is the brand name. All patches are expensive-just fyi.

I think the ones with gel have a better chance of leaking-which is how people die by overdosing.

I use the Mylan brand (generic) which is smaller, doesn't get caught on my clothes, and works well. Watson is another generic brand. This one I don't like as it is large, catches on my clothes and causes me to overdose-this one has the gel.

Whichever you start with-stay with- as they are not interchangeable. If you start with Mylan and then get Watson-you will OD. If you start with Watson and change to Mylan-you will not get enough meds.

Pharmacies do not understand that generics are not equal and you will need to ask for your specific brand of generic every time you fill your script.

I hope this helps.
Julie

P.S. The higher dose you go, the more it costs to fill. You can also try to get free scripts (or lesser charge) by going to the maker of the medication and applying for free/reduced cost meds. Go to their websites and look for the forms to fill out.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Hi! What were you taking for pain prior to the the fentanyl?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I completely agree that the fentanyl patches that are the gel filled kind work better and perform better than the ones that don't. Here are the different brands:

1. Duragesic(gel filled) - NAME BRAND

2. Sandoz (gel filled) - generic

3. Watson (gel filled) - generic

4. Mylan (non-gel filled) - generic

I use the the Sandoz generic and I have had pretty good luck with them. They look nearly identical to the NAME BRAND (DURAGESIC) except they have different writing imprinted on them. I hope this helps.

brian

Old 04-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda83 View Post

I was told I shoud find the gel patches as they work so much better. I don't know the name of the type of patch. 25 mg. I have no health insurance and need to get generic.
Please advise
Welcome to the boards. Many regular participants here have a wide variety of experiences, thus, they can offer lots of support and advice.

If "cost" is your major issue, the Mylan are the cheapest....Much cheaper than the others. It terms of cost, the brand Duragesic is the most expensive, followed by Watson, then Sandoz, and Mylan is the cheapest. I think there may be a new generic brand on the market, but not 100% sure.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User

I was taking vicodin-like candy. My meds would run out in the middle of the night and awaken me, thus my fibro dr. started me on fentanyl.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

If you are moving up from vicodins then you probably will do very nicely on the Mylan brand. Alot of people who take much stronger meds and quantities need the other brands of patches. Most people moving up from vicodins find the Mylan brand to work well. they are small and some have problems with them sticking, read the posts at the top of these board for hints on how to deal with that.

Last edited by PNo; 04-08-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckpatient View Post
If you are moving up from vicodins then you probably will do very nicely on the Myland brand. Alot of people who take much stronger meds and quantities need the other brands of patches. Most people moving up from vicodins find the Mylan brand to work well. they are small and some have problems with them sticking, read the posts at the top of these board for hints on how to deal with that.
Very good post. I would agree with this 100%.

Regards,

Ex

Old 04-11-2009, 03:55 AM   #9
(female)

alw1211 HB User

according to 4 different pharmacies i have spoken with in the last 3 days, the watson brand cannot be considered a generic brand. why is this

Last edited by alw1211; 04-11-2009 at 04:00 AM.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User

I have been wearing duragesic/fentanyl patches for probably 10 yrs..I will have to say the gel ones are and do work much better. The Mylan brand is not a good brand, but they are the cheapest. My experience w/ the mylan brand was in hot sweaty days it won't stick, plus after into the 2nd day I could feel more pain breaking through.

Since the re-call on the patches the Mylan was the only kind I could find(grrrrrrrrrrrrr)....and believe me I ended up traveling to the next town after 2 months of just dealing w/ the Mylan brand just to find some darn reliefs on the meds so I could accomplish my daily routine.

But, if you are looking for less cost that might work, and also beings you just have been started on them, they also might work.....As they say all meds work differently on different people...so I guess the best advice here is to try the Mylan and see for yourself,,,,You never know you may get more relief and be one of the few that don't have a problem w/ them not sticking.....

Old 04-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I have no idea because there is only one BRAND name of the patches and that is DURAGESIC. I thought the generic brands were (Sandoz, Mylan, and Watson).

For the other person that is having trouble finding the patches, you can have the pharmacy order a different brand for you or the Name brand DURAGESIC. I had my CVS order the Duragesic brand and used the $50 off coupon that you can print off their site. I paid NOTHING for them :-)

brian

Old 04-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alw1211 View Post
according to 4 different pharmacies i have spoken with in the last 3 days, the Watson brand cannot be considered a generic brand. why is this
Your pharmacy is wrong. Watson is a "brand" of generic patches. Duragesic is the non-generic original "BRAND". Ask for the manager and if that person doesn't know--go to new pharmacy.

They might be telling you that Watson isn't your insurance's preferred generic? I can't imagine what else they meant.
Julie

Old 04-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolejaly View Post
I have been wearing duragesic/fentanyl patches for probably 10 yrs..I will have to say the gel ones are and do work much better. The Mylan brand is not a good brand, but they are the cheapest. My experience w/ the mylan brand was in hot sweaty days it won't stick, plus after into the 2nd day I could feel more pain breaking through.

Since the re-call on the patches the Mylan was the only kind I could find(grrrrrrrrrrrrr)....and believe me I ended up traveling to the next town after 2 months of just dealing w/ the Mylan brand just to find some darn reliefs on the meds so I could accomplish my daily routine.

But, if you are looking for less cost that might work, and also beings you just have been started on them, they also might work.....As they say all meds work differently on different people...so I guess the best advice here is to try the Mylan and see for yourself,,,,You never know you may get more relief and be one of the few that don't have a problem w/ them not sticking.....
I disagree with this person's opinion. I would have inserted the gel patches in where Mylan was and vice versa. So, it is up to the individual. Everyone responds differently to meds, and this is no different.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelryJulie View Post
I disagree with this person's opinion. I would have inserted the gel patches in where Mylan was and vice versa. So, it is up to the individual. Everyone responds differently to meds, and this is no different.

That's what I said the same thing as you, "everyone responds differently to medications so the best way was to try it and see". I didn't have good luck w/ Mylan as my own experience as many also had wrote about the same issues, but someone else might have a greater relief. No one responds to medicines the same, so we were actually on the same page about medicines.

Please tell me that all the medical conditions that were listed below your response are not all that you are or have went through?

Old 04-20-2009, 11:30 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolejaly View Post
Please tell me that all the medical conditions that were listed below your response are not all that you are or have went through?
Those are all mine. All current. I work full time and am a full time mom on top of it, thus the losin' it part.

I just had my hyst. in nov, and have to go back for follow up surgery as well. I am really having a hard time and thus like to come here as no one in my life understands.

I am sorry if I missed the part that you mentioned about the patches. I have some processing issues that miss things here and there as well. LOL. Have a good one and feel your best.
Julie

Closed Thread