It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
(female)

GreenGal77 HB User
Tylenol 3 vs Percocet Dosing

I'm prescribed percocets for endometriosis/period pain, and used to be given Tylenol 3s. The T3s didn't work very well so they upped me to percocets. Depending on the time of my period and everything, sometimes I only need one but sometimes I do need two. Anyways, I ran out and got my period earlier than expected, and my primary doc is on vacation for another couple of days. I still have the T3s so I'm trying to use them, but two isn't really cutting it. Can they be mixed with a percocet or can you take three? I know three isn't too much acetaminophen, but I just thought I would check. I need to control the pain and would like to avoid going to the hospital, but I don't know how the two drugs compare in terms of strength.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Tylenol 3 vs Percocet Dosing

I can tell you that the Tylenol 3's are much lower in strength than the Percocet. The Tylenol 3's are about as strong as Vicodin. I would avoid taking 3 of the Tylenol 3's at once since that is an awful lot of acetaminophen at once. There is nothing wrong with taking a Tylenol 3 with a Percocet. Please be careful though because this combination will probably make you alot more drowsy, tired, and possibly lightheaded. I think the recommendation on acetaminophen is no more than 1300mg at once and no more than 4000mg/day. I hope that helps..

brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
(female)

patti678 HB User

tylenol #3 is stronger the "vicodin" . percocet is equal to 2 tylenol #3's, sorry about your pain. I had that problem when I was 20, ended up with a full blown hysterectomy and was on percocet for 2 years. The sooner you get off that stuff the better. It tends to make most people angry. You would be better off taking a low dose of methodone. Gives pain relief without the nasty side effects. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patti678 View Post

tylenol #3 is stronger the "vicodin" . percocet is equal to 2 tylenol #3's
I don't mean to disagree, but this is incorrect. T3 is actually less potent than Vicodin. Codeine has poor bioavailability while hydrocodone has excellent bioavailability. One percocet is stronger than (2) T3s.

Quote:
You would be better off taking a low dose of methodone. Gives pain relief without the nasty side effects.
With all due respect, this is much to radical of a comment. First of all, recommending specific meds should be left to a Dr.....And secondly, methadone is a very serious med that is often used following trial and error of other meds. Percocet is a short term med used for acute pain, while methadone is very long acting and used for chronic pain.

Regards,

Ex

Old 04-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just wondering if they have ever tried just placing you on birth control pills for the pain? sounds crazy but sometimes this actually works. it did with me wayyy back when i had endo when i was 14-16 and finally saw a doc who knew what my very severe period and ovulation pain was all about. he placed me on BC to just see if it would help. it helped some. the bigger help was when he placed me on the BC pills without taking the sugar pills that you normally would be taking during your period? this was done to actually stop my period for about six weeks. the theory being that with no period, at times some of the backed up old blood and what are called "chocolate" cysts, hopefully would dissapate and shrink up thus helping with the pain. that did help during the time we did this. but unfortuently when he found out that i got migrane headaches, he pulled the whole treatment and we ended up doing a lap so he could remove alot of the crap that had built up over the years in my uterus. but that really is what helped me the most,the lap and then a D n C. it just took out alot of what caused my worst pain. things have actually been good ever since, and this was way back in the 70s when this was done to me. just some thoughts for you. i do hope you can get this completely taken care of so you don't HAVE to even take narcotics anymore. please keep us posted. Marcia

Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
(female)

patti678 HB User

Hi:
Beg to differ but your are wrong. Vicodin is weaker than tylenol #3. and 2 T #3's is - to 1 percocet. I know I have been on both, plus was told by doctor their strengths. I was saying that the methadone is better for chronic pain suffers like that person was. methadone is better for long term use whereas percocet is not. The percocet and oxycodone are very nasty drugs as people tend to get angry and have other side effects and should only be used for short term use.
I have been on most pain meds as I have a Trigeminal nerve injury, which feels like someone is sticking an "ice pick" in my ear over and over. I was assaulted in 1988 and woke up with the pain and have had it constantly for the last 21 years except for about 3 hours when they did a block of the nerves. (killed the pain, but also the feeling from my nose to my upper chest. So I have been on pain meds since. I have been on every meds including loratab, tylenol #3 and 4, percocet, methadone, duragesic patch and my current med which is M S Contin 100 MG and MSIR 30 mg for breakthrough pain. I also was put on every anti depressant, muscle relaxer and every other drug that is supposed to help pain. The MS contin makes the pain tolerable but nothing takes it away.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
(female)

patti678 HB User

Hi:
I was put on birth control for about a year it did not help me. I still ended up depressed with a full hysterectomy at age 20. I also was given percocet and tylox for the pain. Was on the meds for nearly 2 years and had a hell of a time getting off the pain meds. But just because it did not help me people should not give up on the birth control pill the new ones are much better than the ones I was taking.

Closed Thread