It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User
Metamucil and Constipation

Hi all,

After much advice from everyone I decided to try Ex's suggestion of Metamucil to get things moving. I was a bit hesitant because I've tried it before and it didn't work at all, in fact I thought it made it worse.

Well, I bought it and started with one tablespoon each night and now take two tablespoons. It is the best thing I've ever done and works brilliantly...and it's so much safer than the stimulants that I've been recommended in the past. They may be safe but they do cause a lax bowel over time - coloxyl is apparently not so bad and helps to soften things but senna stimulates the muscles and like anything, they stop working of their own accord after a while.

It is very important to drink enough water or other liquid after the metamucil or it can make things worse. The reason I went wrong last time was the pharmacists (more than one over some months) had told me to take 1 tea spoon 3 times a day. This simply isn't enough and taking it at night after dinner helps things move through for the next morning. I also wasn't told to drink enough water but now I know and make sure I drink a couple slowly after I take it.

Taking 2 tablespoons may seem like a lot but it works with only a little bit of bloating which should go away. Some people may need less and I wouldn't start with more than one tablespoon.

I have to say that it is such a relief after dealing with horrible constipation, stimulant laxatives like senna - which gives me stomach cramps, other laxatives which are actually not great chemicals, and suppositories. Glycerin Suppositories are great if you really can't go but using them every day or two is not fun. We are all different and we each have our choices but I made mine based on misinformation - I wish that someone had told me how to use metamucil properly a long time ago.

Thanks to everyone that recommended it - what a difference it has made. I can't recommend it highly enough. It's safe and it's good for you...and it works!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User
Re: Metamucil and Constipation

Sorry, forgot one thing - if you are keen to try it, it's best not to take your LA meds within 2 hours of taking metamucil if you can. Just to be safe and make sure that they work.

If anyone has any questions or comments please let me know.

It probably sounds sad to be so excited about this but after dealing with constipation for years....I'm sooo relieved.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet31 View Post

It probably sounds sad to be so excited about this but after dealing with constipation for years....I'm sooo relieved.
I'm so glad that it's working for you! I know exactly how you feel, because I've been there, and that's why I try to help others. I've tried literally everything, and for me, Metamucil is by far the best. Nothing is worse than being constipated, so I've felt your pain....Literally.

I take my fiber about 1-2 hours after dinner....Two full heaping tablespoons and it works great. By taking it in the early evening, it pushes the biggest meal of the day (dinner) through and allows things to work overnight......Then have a very natural BM in the AM. I also have one after lunch, which is also very natural. Every now and then, a third, but it's not a regular thing by any means.

Every now and then, I'll eat other high fiber foods, or lots of veggies...Maybe even a big salad....And as a result, I'll get a little bit of bloating or harmless gas....The combination of the Metamucil and the extra fiber foods, puts one over the edge a bit, but it goes away quickly and a day later, all is fine. So, if you know you're going to be eating a lot of natural fiber, you can back off the supplement a bit, but not entirely. Overall, it takes a bit of trial and error, but you eventually find your way.

Also, if you get the fiber right, there should be no need for any type of softener....Fiber takes care of that angle as well. I've no success with fiber pills, so I can't recommend them. In fact, they can have the opposite effect if you don't drink a ton of water with them. Even so, they don't work very well. The pure husk fiber is what one needs.

Lastly, I think it's very important to keep your regimen very regular....Same time every day, and not miss a day. Every now and then, I'll forget for some reason, and it takes a couple of days to get back on track...No major problems, but a noticeable difference. Consistency is the key. You take your LA meds consistently....You should also take your fiber consistently.

I'm glad all is well down under (pun intended)!

Regards,

Ex

Old 04-15-2009, 04:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Juliet-
I'm so, SO glad you are getting some help from the Metamucil. There is such a wealth of knowledge in our "family" here and for that I'm thankful. There is so much support, and it's always wonderful to hear the good news. We need that, ya know?

Have a great day

Old 04-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Does anyone know if the Metamucil chewable fiber tablets help the same as the kind that you mix in with water?

Since I've increased to 60mgs of Avinza it's becoming a nightmare!
Also, does anyone know if Psyllium fiber is a "natural" pure husk fiber?? It doesn't seem to be working any more and I'm taking two in the morning and two at night, along with two stool softners in the am, and two in the pm! I'd like to find a simpler routine, but the metamucil mix makes me gag. It's the consistency of it that I can't get past! GRRRRR!!! I DO drink tons of water everyday, as a matter of fact, water is the ONLY beverage I drink now. Not sure why, it has just become my natural routine to prefer water to soda, or any other drink! So I guess THAT is a good thing!

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

Hey SM, I'm sorry ur having trouble, it's not fun! Have u tried the tabs in one dose at night with lots of water. 2 tablesp is enough 2 get things going 4 me - I'd compare the amout of overall fibre to 8 t spoons of metamucil powder (same as 2 tablesp) and see if u need 2 take more tabs. I do know that hot drinks are supposed to break down the tabs and caps better. It is a natural fibre so don't worry.

I know exactly how u feel - there is a smooth metamucil available that's much easier to drink. Have u tried this one?

Good luck, I hope something helps, let us know...all info is power 4 cp patients

Old 04-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinalMalady View Post
Does anyone know if the Metamucil chewable fiber tablets help the same as the kind that you mix in with water?
Sorry to hear about your troubles. The tablets don't work...Not for what you need anyway. Someone on high levels of meds, needs the fiber like Metamucil that you mix with water. The tablets may works for someone not on meds, but the overall fiber content in those tabs is very small. And, if you don't drink enough water, they actually clog you up!

Get some regular Metamucil and follow the plan I laid out for Juliet. It will work wonders for you....I promise. I wouldn't steer you wrong.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 04-16-2009, 03:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

Something I forgot to mention was that when I was taking one tablespoon, I had to answer the phone and left it there without drinking it - when I came back, it was so think that the spoon could stand up in it. This really made me realise just how it works and why it's so effective.

To be honest, I struggle to get it down but I choose not to use the 'smooth' metamucil because it has aspartame in it and it doesn't agree with me. The regular (that I use) has a small amount of sugar in it but it I tip out the dregs at the bottom, which is mainly sugar - so I don't worry about calories etc.

I look at it like medicine now, medicine that tastes ok with a yucky texture (drink it really quick, makes a huge difference). It's medicine that's made almost as much difference to how I feel as my other meds. No more feeling sick, reflux, cramps, bloating. Blah...I'm going on and on as usual.

If you can try it do...there is the smooth version for people that can't take the texture. Good luck

Old 04-16-2009, 06:01 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Juliet and Ex. I will try it and see. Prunes are working somewhat right now, but I would love to know what an "everyday" kinda girl feels like if ya know what I mean!

Old 04-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Juliet is right in that you should drink it quick. I put my two heaping tablespoons in it, stir like crazy, and as its still going in a circle, I take it down. Do not let it set up or it's really thick. To me, it tastes like a little heavier version of OJ or Gatorade. I've actually grown to like the taste.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ex

Old 04-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Ex and Juliet... as soon as I get home from my 25th Anniversary trip in Charelston, I will give it a go and let you know how it works, if it works, and if I can handle the texture.

Hopefully I will be like you Ex and learn to like it. I NEED to like it!

Old 04-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinalMalady View Post
Thanks Ex and Juliet... as soon as I get home from my 25th Anniversary trip in Charelston, I will give it a go and let you know how it works, if it works, and if I can handle the texture.

Hopefully I will be like you Ex and learn to like it. I NEED to like it!
As long as you drink it quick, it tastes like pulp OJ....Orangey flavor with some texture. However, if you let it set up, then it's more like a milkshake. This is the best example I can give.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread