It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
(female)

tandycipps HB User
To Slipperyslope

After reading your reply to my last post I wanted to ask you a couple of things. My sciatia just came on over night and it's been going on for two weeks today. I have been in so much pain in my butt and my thigh,calf and ankle. I have never hurt this bad. I take lortab10/500 for my chronic neck pain but they put me on lyrica and now I'm taking it 4 times per day. I also use the ice and heat. Last night I woke up screaming cause it felt like my thigh was cramping up and I had to get my husband to get my ice. I am just so frustrated with having to lay on my back 90% of the time. Do you have any idea how long this will last? I have an app. with a surgeon for my neck on Monday and I'm hoping he can tell me something till I can get an mri on my back. I'm just at my wits end. My hubby went to pick up some flexeril so I
hope that will help tonight.
Thank you for any help you might have.
Annie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User
Re: To Slipperyslope

Hi Tandi I am glad you got some flexeril I really think that's going to help you. It will make you really sleepy and you might feel a little hung over the next day, if this happens take a little less like half of the pill. and you may want to take it at bedtime. I do no that laying down can make you more sore, it would be really good if you could try and walk a little and do some stretching it really helps. Look online for some stretching excersises for sciatic pain or ask your surgeon on monday he will be able to hopefully give you some stretches to do. I know how painful sciatic pain is, I have it every day. I am hoping yours will go away soon, I am wondering if you pulled a muscle. Did you happen to do anything out of the ordinary to have caused your flare of pain? even lifting something heavy can do it. Mine started in March of 2004 after I lifted a really heavy box, using really bad body mechanics and its never left me. That was over 4 years ago. But I also have had back surgery for Cauda Equina Syndrome and I have a huge nerve laying right across my disc causing my sciatic pain. It was really visible on my MRI. If yours doesn't go away soon you might want to get an MRI. Also I think PT might really help you, they can work on that area for you and get you out of spasms. It sounds like your having a muscle spasm. if you ever go numb in your saddle area, your buttocks or your legs you need to treat this as a medical ER. look up Cauda equina syndrome online and you will see the symptoms. That is what happened to me when my disc ruptured. I had horrific muscle spasms from my toes to my low back and I couldn't feel myself going the bathroom and lost my bladder control. so just be very aware of your symptoms and I am glad your seeing your Dr, because he can take a look at your low back too. ususally sciatic pain is short lived. Mine would flare up over the years and would last a few weeks to a month, or two, but lets hope yours will be over soon. Try and keep moving, because I think lying flat on your back and staying in bed can actually make you more tight and causes more pain. back in the old days they used to tell you to stay in bed when your back went out, now they actually think its better to get up and move, stretch and walk. If you could get into a swimming pool it would be really helpful as you can really stretch your muscles in water.

I have also had really good success in the past with flexeril taking away my sciatic pain so lets hope this works for you, its a wonderful muscle relaxer even though it makes you feel really poopy and out of it. It works!!!

All the best, you can PM me if you want to talk more. hugs, SS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
(female)

tandycipps HB User
Re: To Slipperyslope

SS,
Thank you so much for your help. I can't sit here long enough to write too much and I haven't gotten into the pm yet so I really don't know much how to do it but I will sure take your advice and I'll let you know what the doc says tomorrow.
Thanks again
Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyslope View Post
Hi Tandi I am glad you got some flexeril I really think that's going to help you. It will make you really sleepy and you might feel a little hung over the next day, if this happens take a little less like half of the pill. and you may want to take it at bedtime. I do no that laying down can make you more sore, it would be really good if you could try and walk a little and do some stretching it really helps. Look online for some stretching excersises for sciatic pain or ask your surgeon on monday he will be able to hopefully give you some stretches to do. I know how painful sciatic pain is, I have it every day. I am hoping yours will go away soon, I am wondering if you pulled a muscle. Did you happen to do anything out of the ordinary to have caused your flare of pain? even lifting something heavy can do it. Mine started in March of 2004 after I lifted a really heavy box, using really bad body mechanics and its never left me. That was over 4 years ago. But I also have had back surgery for Cauda Equina Syndrome and I have a huge nerve laying right across my disc causing my sciatic pain. It was really visible on my MRI. If yours doesn't go away soon you might want to get an MRI. Also I think PT might really help you, they can work on that area for you and get you out of spasms. It sounds like your having a muscle spasm. if you ever go numb in your saddle area, your buttocks or your legs you need to treat this as a medical ER. look up Cauda equina syndrome online and you will see the symptoms. That is what happened to me when my disc ruptured. I had horrific muscle spasms from my toes to my low back and I couldn't feel myself going the bathroom and lost my bladder control. so just be very aware of your symptoms and I am glad your seeing your Dr, because he can take a look at your low back too. ususally sciatic pain is short lived. Mine would flare up over the years and would last a few weeks to a month, or two, but lets hope yours will be over soon. Try and keep moving, because I think lying flat on your back and staying in bed can actually make you more tight and causes more pain. back in the old days they used to tell you to stay in bed when your back went out, now they actually think its better to get up and move, stretch and walk. If you could get into a swimming pool it would be really helpful as you can really stretch your muscles in water.

I have also had really good success in the past with flexeril taking away my sciatic pain so lets hope this works for you, its a wonderful muscle relaxer even though it makes you feel really poopy and out of it. It works!!!

All the best, you can PM me if you want to talk more. hugs, SS

Closed Thread