It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
(male)

unimatrix725 HB User
Unhappy I had my Endocet and Valium Stolen from my car.

Well Here is my Situation and how should I take it? I had the worst month ever in quite a few years. Early this month I had my Endocet and Valium Stolen from my car. Now this occurred on a weekend only 3 days after I got them filled. So seeing the same doctor for almost 3 years and have been on pain medication for 7 years. I never had anything like this happen, so I called them promptly monday morning and was advised to call the police. So I did this (all this ties into what happened today) and had to call 3 different police stations. Then was called back and advised to have the doctor office call a specific number and request a fax. I was simply not allowed to have a copy of the report unless I waited of course and went to the police station and paid for a copy a week later. I live in the communist wealth of Virginia. Called the doctor office 3 times and asked nicely each time what the status was and was told to call back. So it was getting close to the phone cut-off time of 4:30 and I had a feeling the pharmacy would have to call the doctor also. So my last call was at 3 p.m. mind you this started at 8 am.
So by this time I was rather frustrated and was missing work due to all this anyway. So finally the nurse got the head nurse for my doctor on the phone and I explained. I was told since I was on a pain management contract I would have to deal with it until my next date. I was told to get OTC meds, well all this really fired me up and I wasn't the nicest person after this and rebutted, I will go to Food Lion and pick up some percocet and valium. Then she started reciting what was on the contract and I said ok fine its my fault for not reading the print or requesting a copy. Then of corse I apologized and told her I wouldn't have wasted her time or mine if I wasn't told to begin with to call the police and call back. She finally told me to go to the e.r. if it was that bad. So I jumped into the car promptly with my house mate. Went off to the e.r. and had to tell the doctor there all about it not to mention 3 nurses and I knew they would call the doctor office and I did hear the doctor call and of course I was asked for a police report. Had to explain that also, that I wasn't allowed to have a copy, etc.
So the doctor there at the e.r. told me I was addicted and there wasn't much he could do other than write one days worth and he admitted he didn't want to get into the middle of it since I had a pain management contract, mind you I only see a family doctor, but those are the rules. So I was given one Valium 5 mg and one Percocet 5mg and written a rx for 5-5mg Valium and 5-5mg Percocet. I take 4-Valium 5mgs a day and 4-10mg Endocet a day each. I went that day and had them filled and the pharmacist said nothing , but I wanted to ask him since he did glare at the prescription and the computer a few times.
He told me that he knew the doctor and i would pay hell getting another script from him, but if I did that I had to go get a copy of the police report. Stating that federal law stated that if I didn't have a copy he would refuse it and call every pharmacy within 30 miles and tell them to not fill it, or else he could get fined. I was shocked by all this but at least i know that what i went thru was normal from what he said, during this discussion. Now heres what burnt my tater....
As if I have not been thru hell as it is. Today I called and made sure my prescription was ready to be picked up and filled and was told to come to the doctors office and get it. Then I drive back to my hoe town pharmacy which is part of the "Leader" pharmacies. I had to drop it off and go beg family for the money as I pay cash and cannot afford the insurances in the area available to me. I get a credit card and come back and was told I couldn't have it till Friday the 1st of May. So I dropped my head and said ok and went back to the car. After a pep talk from my house mate I felt I was owed an explanation as to why I couldn't get it filled for 2 more days.
Considering this is my regular pharmacy and the rx's were dated for the 27th of this month which is 3 days early. WITH THE ONLY RESTRICTION THAT I SEEN ON THERE as usual is FILL WHEN DUE. I go back in and ask for a pharmacist not a "Tech". I was pointed in the direction as I came in they knew what was going on. I talked to the pharmacist that i have never had to deal with as there are 3 there. This man was older than moses, at least 7x's. He said that it was federal law as it was written for 30 days. So I asked well tomorrow is the 30th and I got them on the 30th of last month, why do I have to wait another extra day? Now mind you I have been there and gotten medicines 2-3 days early before, but left this out of the issue. He told me to give my name and I did and told me to wait. He went over and glared at the computer. Now admittedly there is a drug problem in this part of virginia and I am going to be 30 at the end of july. I thought here we go hes looking for an excuse considering our age gap.
He hollers at me and asked why I got 5 percocet 5s close to a week later. Here we go, so I had to tell him the above that has been explained. He says ok and hesitates for a minute. Then he walks over and says well whats wrong with you? I told him that i have a deteriorated disc and it is damaging the nerve. He snapped at me and said that it wasn't possible to have nerve damage and went to explain what my doctor and neurosurgeon had said in the past, which I knew the nerve was being pushed on. While saying all this he was slowly walking away towards the rest of the staff. Then he turns around and says well I'll make a deal with you!?! You can come back tomorrow and pick up the pain medication and wouldn't return the prescription either. OMG! I was really ready to pull my hair out! So I once again hung my head down and said ok, feeling like I was really a drug addict. So here I am hurting and mad the more that I think about it. So If I was a Drug Addict then there are allot of other things I could have done or may have done.
So my house mate once again gives me the talk that I shouldn't listen to an old man, etc.. Then waits till my normal pharmacy closes and calls another one in town and was told that I could have brought the rx in there and they would fill it. Because to him it is due when it is written even if I had been a regular customer. The whole situation was apparently told. So like I said no here I am hurting and mad about it, due to it all being one day early. How many weeks did I suffer... no I didn't hit the e.r. up everyday like everyone else around here does. So after much goggling I end up here ranting. So am I out of line on this subject. Should the pharmacist have made a "deal" with me or even pried into my business of my truly documented chronic pain? Should I carry around my medical records or MRI reports? Please respond. PS: I do apologize for the long post, but want the whole story or picture painted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Pharmatist refused to fill my prescription

Sorry to hear about your problem. I was having trouble following the chain of events....Did your PM Doc replace the meds or not? I was able to understand that the ER apparently gave you 5 pills or something.

Where in Virginia is your Doc located? SWVa has had lots of problems so I was wondering if your location had something to do with all of this.

Take care, and best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 04-30-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
(female)

ihavtwins HB User
Re: I had my Endocet and Valium Stolen from my car.

I feel for you and have been in your shoes, not due to having meds stolen but arguing with pharmacies and getting scripts filled. It seems every 2-3 months something goes wrong with the script how its written or the pharmacy doesnt have enough meds, or the doc didn't fill it out exactly how they wanted it etc. It is embarrassing, and undue stress on people who really dont need the added stress and running around to fill our scripts. I have had my 12 year old daughter with me on one occasion where she was ready to scream at them for being so stupid LOL I have found some pharmacists much more caring than others. I have found some to be downright rude. They are not taking the oath very seriously about we shall do no harm.

I really recommend you find a pharmacist who you like and stick with them. If your pain contract allows you to switch pharmacies, then do it. Tell your doctor how difficult they were being with you. Also if you are working with a chain pharmacy you can make a complaint to management, but I would do that after you are established somewhere else.

Sorry you had to go through this. I feel awful for you. I guess maybe dont keep your meds all together like that, lock up at home most of your meds and travel with what you need daily.

We are treated so bad being a chronic pain patient, we are in enough pain then to add the stigma to it and have people treat us this way, I totally know where you are coming from.

I hope you are able to get you replacements soon!
Jen

Last edited by moderator2; 04-30-2009 at 06:09 AM.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:41 AM   #4
(female)

Lolalovesme HB User

Oh dear. I don't want to be mean hee and I understand but, why would you leave these items in a car? I always put my RX'es in my purse when I go out the door.I am sure the Dr hears all kinds of stories like this.The most common one to get more meds is that they where stolen.

Secondly, I think your Dr may drop you just for going to the ER.I don't understand your pain but that is a HUGE risk to do that.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
(male)

unimatrix725 HB User

Well there is a valid point to all of the statements. Yes I should have been more careful. I took a friend to the E.R. (a co-worker) who had issues with kidney stones and had surgery the previous month. She told me she was "peeing" black and hurting badly. It was a cavalier that had manual switches and I was in a hurry to get her to the hospital. Which was in Lee County. Now the big ? was whether she was truthful or forgot to lock the door. But honestly that is my fault for not double checking. I am very kind and trusting until I am taken advantage of or similar. I have since stopped talking to her after listening to others and observing her behavior. I have come to notice that she is in fact an "E.R. Chaser". It was brought to my attention that she may have even stole them. I really do wander now if it was all a plot. I work in a call center and allot of people are on drugs, which is normal for a call center.
No I didn't have the meds replaced as the "practice" refused siting the paragraph that signed my life away. My doctor is located in Wise County. When you go to have your yearly paper-work renewed, there is so much to look at and sign. I should have paid closer attention as it was only 3 months ago when I signed the new papers. I am sure I'm not alone when it comes to failing to read everything to the letter. Which that day I had to take a drug test btw, after signing all the papers and pushed out the door more or less.
I am allowed to switch pharmacies as long as I tell them. Before or after makes no difference, but what I signed may state otherwise, but the nurse never had any issues nor the doctor. I had to go to a different pharmacy once in the past at the last minute. I doubt the doctor will drop me, unless I have a new "yearly MRI", if I can afford it. I was declined health coverage and then sent a alternate insurance packet, that would give me insurance. It was thru Anthem and after paying $385.00 per month with a $500.00 Deductible, which would cover my doctor visits. The strange part was it wouldn't cover any medicines or tests for a full year. The doctor is very good and understanding to a point. He is in his 60's. He is firm with what he gives and asks allot of questions every time I see him. He is extremely strict with his paperwork. (CYA, I suppose)
I live in a terrible place, I live in Big Stone Gap. The drug problems here are severe so bad that the paper has listed close to 200 drug related indictments in a little over a week. I went to get my medicine this morning and the little old lady said didn't you get your medicine yesterday, and I told her no. I then told her that he was very rude and made me feel like a drug addict and even made me explain why I needed the medicine. She only laughed and said that was larry then. I told her that yes it was early but only 1 day. Then the other pharmacist said that there was a hand written note on the prescription stating it could be picked up on the first. Before I could even finish turning blood red, the other pharmacist came around the corner and said sir give me 10 minutes. Only the cashier apologized and stated that the older pharmacist works 2-3 days a week and that is normal for him to be mean and rude. I have only seen "Larry" a total of 4 times in 2 years. The only different thing I noticed was that the bottle had appended to the label Due 04-30-2009. Perhaps some of this is due to some "gaming" the system or something. Like I did mention earlier my prescriptions have FILL WHEN DUE ON THEM and not the DATES WHEN DUE. The other pharmacist was the one I had spoken to when I had to get the 1 day prescription and said that he'd fill anything as long as it was from a different doctor or a police report if from the same doctor as the computer flags it.
I used to keep my medicines at home, until my safe was broken into or an attempt. It was a digital one and I guess somebody coming over to visit thought they would try to hot wire it or something. The safe had a safety and pulled the red wire into the safe. I really cannot afford to shell out another $150.00, but looks like I will have to. My house mate has had to go to rehab close to 6 years ago, but only for Xanax. I do not feel comfortable leaving my medicines home and do not want to tempt the devil, so to speak.
We used to have allot of company and gathering or what have you. But allot of these so called friends stole from me and it was hard to figure it all out. I eventually narrowed it down, but have since eliminated all of my company. No one around here can be trusted whether it was stealing personal items, money or my pain medicine. I have laid down the law so to say. I just said that if the company cannot be watched or kept from taking things then no one needs to come over period. I have since put up webcams that I have had over the years and placed my home under surveillance. One camera is facing the outside where the door and car is and one in the living room. I did share that fact with the roommate and did state that if the cameras were unhooked, etc. Then I would just move, but I didn't mind the living room camera being turned off. Being a private person that is acceptable. I placed the cameras around so I would know who was coming and going at the least if I had to catch a thief.
I am very agitated and sick of this town and state. I am tired of being a victim whether I am helping or doing nothing but minding my own business. I still suffer from severe depression, anxiety and chronic pain. When I was injured it took more than a physical effect on me, it took a severe mental twist. That which kept me from working for 4 years. I have been working since last July and thing were getting better. My life is stressful enough then I add the cost of my doctor $120.00 then another $130.00 for the Endocet and another $25.00 for the Valium. So I spend 33.33 Hours of my life working to take care of my health and pain. I look at everything form a hourly perspective, which allot of people say i am weird for doing. Yes ihavtwins it seems to be something every 2-3 months with the pharmacies and or doctors. I do thank all who replied and will reply. I will stop ranting, but it has made me feel a little bit better. Like that old saying goes what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, or at least teaches a valuable lesson.

Last edited by unimatrix725; 04-30-2009 at 08:53 AM.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Next time you get your medications, get a duplicate bottle to carry in the car. Keep maybe 2 days worth of meds in the car and keep the rest at home. You should definitely buy a safe now because whoever stole your meds knows your address and may break into your house when you are not home and try to get more. I keep the duplicate bottle in my car with a couple of days of meds in it. The other reason I do this is because I carry my days supply of meds with me and if I get pulled over, I want to be able to prove that I have legal prescriptions for the medications (which is the other reason that I get the duplicate bottles).

I feel your pain because the same thing happened to me one time and I had to go to the police station downtown 3 days after filing the report. I was in withdrawal and severe pain and had to walk from the parking lot to the police station, then back to my doctor's office. Luckily they gave me another script to get filled and I did not have a problem filling those at all. please keep your meds safe. I got a safe for like $60 that bolts to the floor so it can't be just taken out of your house. You can get them at Walmart and other places like that.

brian

Old 04-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
(male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User

I personally know that if ANYONE knows some one has a constant "source" of pain meds, they will do anything to get to them. An aquaintence actually had his entire SAFE stolen before he had it bolted to the floor. I have heard stories of the Webcams, fake pills and or "laxatives replaced for the real deal " and other ploys to deter theives from stealing medications. If you get hit again and again, it is frustrating, especially if you ahve to pay full cost for the meds and the Doctors don't believe you because the drug seekers have all used those stories before.
Personally, I have a safe that is bolted to the floor in my closet and if I have ANY company over my closet door is LOCKED. Not many people know what meds I am on for a reason.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeaftr40 View Post

I personally know that if ANYONE knows some one has a constant "source" of pain meds, they will do anything to get to them.
Yes, this is very true. I can certainly believe that someone would conspire to steal someone else's meds. This type of stuff happens all the time. This is why the contract @ my PM clinic very plainly states to not tell anyone about your condition or that you are on pain meds, because of the increased risk to you and your family. Additionally, the same language is included re: not replacing the meds, regardless of a police report & etc. Unfortunately, as CPers, this is just one of many burdens we have to live with.

I know I've preached on these boards many times over, but this is just one of many reasons why one shouldn't tell anyone about their condition.

I'm sorry that this has happened, but I'm not very surprised.

Regards,

Ex

Old 05-01-2009, 03:01 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

I'm sorry that this has happened to you. Especially as you feel that your home is not a safe place to leave your scripts, that must be hard. I too would advise against leaving your meds in the car as car break ins are much more common than house robberies.

I don't tell people anything at all, I do trust my friends not to steal but time has shown me that they cannot be trusted not to talk and share my private business with others. It is like an explosion once one person has revealed your issues and medications to others. All of a sudden a total stranger knows what meds you're taking and where you live. Not good. It's much easier to say nothing and to mislead those that already know. Lying is not something I advocate but this is a personal safety issue.

I hope that you feel somewhat better for sharing your fears. We are all here to support you and each other. This is a place where you can talk about your meds and issues safely, without having to worry that you are putting yourself at risk. Please take care.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet31 View Post

I don't tell people anything at all, I do trust my friends not to steal but time has shown me that they cannot be trusted not to talk and share my private business with others. It is like an explosion once one person has revealed your issues and medications to others. All of a sudden a total stranger knows what meds you're taking and where you live.
Juliet is absolutely correct. And, I'll take it one step further. This topic is so "juicy" that when people find out, they just have to tell others. Additionally, once your "secret" gets past the folks you personally tell, the others down the line are under no obligation (or pressure) to keep your secret safe. Therefore, your information goes around like wildfire. It's a very sad state of affairs, but all so true.

Unfortunately, you learned a very valuable lesson and I appreciate you sharing your story. Hopefully, someone reading this will avoid the same problem.

Regards,

Ex

Old 05-01-2009, 09:22 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto to both Juliet and Executor. NO ONE other than my husband and my Dr. knows about my meds. A friend may very well be the most honest and trustworthy person you know, but if they know about your meds it's possible they could say something without even meaning to. It could be as simple as saying something to a spouse in private that accidentially gets overheard or passed on to yet another friend of the spouse. None of your friends intends any harm, but things get oveheard, and before you know it somebody not so nice links it back to you. I don't like lying, but in this case I generally do so by just not talking about that part of my treatment. People know I carry an ice pack around with me, they know I see a massage therapist for treatment and I just don't talk about the meds EVER. If no one knows you take meds they aren't going to come looking for them.

I'm sorry you had someone steal your meds. I was lucky I saw the advice of others on this board before I ever even got treatement with meds. I hope everything works out Ok for you.

Tigg.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo2174 View Post

NO ONE other than my husband and my Dr. knows about my meds. A friend may very well be the most honest and trustworthy person you know, but if they know about your meds it's possible they could say something without even meaning to. It could be as simple as saying something to a spouse in private that accidentially gets overheard or passed on to yet another friend of the spouse. None of your friends intends any harm, but things get oveheard, and before you know it somebody not so nice links it back to you. I don't like lying, but in this case I generally do so by just not talking about that part of my treatment.
Same here....Only my spouse and Doc know. In fact, I'm on disability and I've managed to keep it a complete secret....I'm like "Batman"....I have this secret life that no one knows about.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread