It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User
Cymbalta for pain?

Hi friends!! It's so nice to be back on board My computer went down for about a month, and we just got it working today Anyways, I have FBSS and sometimes I don't know what's worse; the back pain or the foot pain. The foot pain is in most of my little toes on the left, which is caused by my problems in my back. As most of you know, pain meds don't do much for this type of pain. I'm on Oxycontin and Zanaflex. I am also on Neurontin; prescribed by my PM's NP. Well, it's been several months of this drug, and all it did was make me gain 40 pounds (>>>am in the high end of the therapeutic range). My NP wanted to keep increasing it, so I went to my Neurologist to ask his opinion on this matter and other matters which I will discuss another time. So, he put me on Cymbalta, and wants to decrease my Neurontin slowly. I will still be on a low dose of Neurontin. Has anyone tried Cymbalta for neuropathic pain?? How did it work? Also, has anyone tried a low-dose Neurontin along with Cymbalta? Any info. will be greatly appreciated --janiee08

Old 05-01-2009, 02:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User
Re: Cymbalta for pain?

Hi Janie, I use both neurontin and cymbalta as part of my pain control. To be 100% honest nothing is brilliant. Perhaps 20% pain relief from oxycontin and a bit more with neurontin and cymbalta. I was taking 2800mg neurontin a day but am now cutting it back, and not noticing that much increased pain...so it probably wasn't working that well anyway. I know what you mean about weight gain - I've just had to go for a carrot every time I feel like eating. How much neurontin are you taking?
Cymbalta is the only thing other than the oxycontin that really helps me get through the day. It hasn't done anything for my pain or energy that I've noticed but it has made a huge difference to how I feel. I was very hesitant about taking it because I'm really sensitive to SSRIs and I don't really get depressed. I no longer feel so anxious or get so worked up. It's not working quite as well as it did but it does help me through my bad pain patch late afternoon/evening.
I hope that answers your questions. I hope that neurontin helps your pain and the combination has been a winner for lots of people....and I can tell you that I had no ill effects taking them both together.
Good luck and keep in touch.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
(male)

steve63 HB User

Janie,
I was put on Cymbalta for nerve pain last summer. It worked very well for me painwise, better than Neurontin. Unfortunately it raised by BP to 160/110 so I had to stop it. Not all docs seem to know that high BP is a possible side effect so make sure you have yours checked! Good luck.

Steve

Old 05-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Thanks so much for the info., Juliet and Steve!! --janiee

Old 05-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I tried Cymbalta and it did not help at all for the nerve pain and actually made my depression alot worse so I had to stop it. I also experienced alot of other side effects taking it so those were also reasons to stop it. Everyone responds differently so give it a try. If you are gaining to much weight on the Neurontin you might want to try Lyrica. I have heard that weight gain is an issue on Lyrica too but it does not do that for me.

brian

Old 05-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brian, Thanks for replying. I have tried Lyrica in the past, and same thing-weight gain. Sorry the Cymbalta didn't work for you. I will be starting a new thread re: another question about Cymbalta. Bye, Janiee

Closed Thread