It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Different types of fiber, which is best?

I have been considering trying some type of fiber supplement. When I was at CVS, I was looking in that section of fiber supplements. You would not believe how many new different kinds of fiber supplements there are. I was tempted to get the ALL BRAN supplement (pink lemondade flavor packet) that you put into a bottle of water or 16oz and stir and then drink it. It has 40% of your daily fiber intake I think.

There are also other choices besided Metamucil, such as Benefiber and others. So what is the difference in all of them. I know that the Benefiber is stirred in water and tasteless, no grit, or anything like Metamucil. But is one better than the other. Let me know everyone's experience.

brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Different types of fiber, which is best?

Hey Brian- Here's all you ever wanted to know about fiber, and then some.....

Not all fiber supplements are created equally. There are three main types of soluble fiber supplements: psyllium, methylcellulose, and polycarbophil. Each type of fiber has varying uses, side effects, and properties.

Psyllium

Brand names: Metamucil, Fiberall, Hydrocil, Konsyl, Perdiem, Serutan

Psyllium is a fiber supplement that can be taken every day to bulk up stool, making it easier to pass. It works by breaking down in the gut and becoming a food source for the "good bacteria" there. It is used for treating constipation, IBS and diverticulosis. In addition, psyllium may also lower cholesterol levels by 10 to 15 percent. On the downside, psyllium does contain calories and may cause gas.

Methylcellulose

Brand name: Citrucel

Methylcellulose is a fiber that is nonallergenic, non-fermentable, can be taken every day, and is created from the cell wall of plants. It is not absorbed by the intestinal tract but instead absorbs water to create a softer stool. Methylcellulose is often used to treat constipation, diverticulosis, irritable bowel syndrome, and some cases of diarrhea. Because it does not ferment, it is less likely to cause intestinal gas.

Polycarbophil

Brand names: Fibercon, Fiber-Lax, Equalactin, Mitrolan

Similar to methylcellulose, polycarbophil is created from plants and is not absorbed by the body. It absorbs water in the intestinal tract and creates a bulkier and softer stool. Polycarbophil is less likely to cause bloating and can be used long term. It may be used to treat constipation, IBS and diverticulosis. This form of fiber is not appropriate for people who have difficulty swallowing.

I've never really had a problem with gas & Metamucil. It's pure husk fiber, which my Doc said was the best. If you get too much gas, then you're taking to much. Small adjustments in Metamucil have big effects, one way or the other. I use the sugar free.

I did try fiber pills, and they didn't work. My Doc told me that you have to drink a ton of water with them....If you don't, it can actually have the opposite effect.

Whichever brand you choose, give it about a week to adjust to your body & etc. As I've communicated before, you'll have to play with the dosage a bit based on your narcotic intake and regular daily diet. The more fruits and veggies you eat, the less you'll need (and vice versa).

Let me know how it turns out.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 05-16-2009 at 07:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

Do you get the same benefit from taking citrucell, spelling?, as you do taking metamucil? I like the citucell much better, but I get the feeling that metamucil is a preferable choice. I just like the texture of the citrucell better. I have been in love with the miralax since I started using it. Also I have been taking the activia yougart for two weeks now. Can I now stop the miralax and see if the activia will work by itself? Amazing what these meds do to your elimination needs. Yuck At least I am now OFF the nightly senna products.
Bullymom

Old 05-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

All I know is that I love Metamucil. I take 2 huge heaping tablespoons and I go every morning the minute my feet hit the floor. I actually like the taste of the orange one, its not sugar free and taste like Tange. its a life savor for me and Ex is the one that taught me all about it. she is the master metamucil Queen Bee. Thanks Ex

Old 05-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullymom View Post

Do you get the same benefit from taking citrucell, spelling?, as you do taking metamucil?
I don't think so, but you may. Each person is different. I would try the Metamucil and see what happens....Give it a good solid week, however, before you make a decision one way or the other. You can always go back. It's not like the Metamucil will clog you up or anything, so it's really a risk free thing to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyslope View Post
All I know is that I love Metamucil. I take 2 huge heaping tablespoons and I go every morning the minute my feet hit the floor.
Two heaping tablespoons seems to be the magic amount. Some a little less.....Some, a bit more. I'm the same way....First thing in the AM....BAM....And it's with very little effort and I usually get cleaned out pretty well. I'm definitely light on my feet afterwards.

Quote:
I actually like the taste of the orange one, its not sugar free and taste like Tange.
Yes, I have actually come to like the taste quite well, but I take the sugar free....A cross between OJ and Gatorade for me. But, you've got to drink it quick. Otherwise, it will thicken up on you and it's more like drinking a slurpee.

Quote:
its a life savor for me and Ex is the one that taught me all about it. she is the master metamucil Queen Bee. Thanks Ex
That's too funny! You are very welcome. I'm like you....No way I could survive without it....On occasion, I'll miss a day by mistake for some reason, and it's a very noticeable difference. Then, it takes me a few days to get everything regulated again.

I've experimented quite a bit with it, and I think sometime after dinner (about 2-3 hours after) is best....Pushes what is the biggest meal of the day right on through.

Regards,

Ex

Old 05-17-2009, 06:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

me to, I take it about 2 hours after dinner. I am a little bloated after but not bad. I could not take it in the morning as it fills me up a lot. sometimes I won't want dinner and will take my Metamucil and that is my dinner. how sad is that. my honey will come upstairs and say "what's for dinner honey " and I say Oh METAMUCIL. He laughs at me. LOL. rolls his eyes. it works like a charm.

SS

Old 05-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
(female)

Mcgirl HB User

I use Miralax every day. I usually take two doses and within a few days of starting it I can produce a BM...sometimes twice a day.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
(female)

Vicam HB User

I don't know if this helps, but I use All-Bran buds. They don't taste the greatest, but I have found them to be better than any supplement I have ever tried. I used a lot of supplements awhile ago (before I was ever on pain meds) due to doctors thinking I had IBS, and none of them worked for me. Then when I started having to use narcotics I wanted to up my fibre, tried a few things, but the bran buds have been my saviour. Keeps me completely regular, and you get some other health benefits from them too because they are a very healthy cereal (good potassium and other vitamins, low in sugar and salt). I know they aren't for everyone, some people find them too harsh (you definitely don't want to eat too many) and the taste is a bit lacking, but if you can make them go down...I think they are great. I know some people put them in yogurt and other stuff, but I literally just eat a bowl (no milk even - but i've never used milk with cereal) and it's been great.

Closed Thread