It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
(female)

cheryl810 HB User
Thumbs up Injury Update - PM Appt Went Really Well!!

Well, I went to my PM appt this morning about my injury while on vacation; it went really well!! It turns out that my doctor is/was a big advocate for health and fitness; she can completely relate to what happened to me!!! In fact she has a lot arthritis throughout her body and had to stop running herself. For someone where fitness and health is a huge part of their life, it is just major depressing thing not to be able follow your active life all of a sudden. My doctor had explained that she too tried to run a few weeks ago even though her arthritis hurts her, she too injured herself and had to stop all together. I was SOOOOO relieved that she was able to relate and didn't get upset with me!
She increased my meds and told me to come back in week to see how the meds are working; she may keep me on the new increase depending how it goes. It was NOT a big deal at that I ran into a problem with the meds; she just said try not to get into this situation again. I was happy to hear her also say that I can continue to workout once I get this injury under control but know my limits and just take it easy. That made my day!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
(female)

pmtest HB User
Re: Injury Update - PM Appt Went Really Well!!

Cheryl,

Hi! I am sooo glad everything worked out. That is so great that your pm was understanding, which I think they should be, if you get injured what are you suppose to do when you are on vacation? Hopefully the increased meds will help your pain and your injury will get better. Hopefully you will be working out again and dont forget to limit yourself. Did your dr say what you injury actually was?
I also went to the pm today and was worried because of something that happened last month, but everything worked out fine. She suggested a facet injection, do you have any knowledge of this.

Hope you have a great night.

A

Last edited by pmtest; 05-26-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl810 View Post

It was NOT a big deal at that I ran into a problem with the meds; she just said try not to get into this situation again. I was happy to hear her also say that I can continue to workout once I get this injury under control but know my limits and just take it easy. That made my day!!!
That's great news! Glad it worked out so well for you. By going to see her right away, probably really worked in your favor. For those of us on the patient side of PM, we have to always keep in mind the Doc's point of view. From her perspective, you did all the right things.

I hope your injury heals and you can get back to some form of moderate exercise. My pain contract actually requires me to try some form of exercise. All the research data has shown that those PM patients who partake in minor to moderate exercise, actually feel better and require less meds.

Some PM people just aren't able to exercise due to their condition, but many are. Even those who are bed ridden can get creative with exercise bands and etc. Exercise also releases endorphins, so one will tend to feel better and not so gloomy. For me, when I'm in a fair amt of pain and stay sedentary, the longer I don't do much, the worse I feel.

Again, glad everything worked out for you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 05-27-2009, 05:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

that is great. you have a good PM Dr. like I do. some are not so understanding so its good to know you got just a small warning. yay. I am glad to hear this. how is your injury? is it getting better? I hope so.

SS

Old 05-27-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
(female)

cheryl810 HB User

Thank you ALL VERY MUCH!!! It was such a huge relief receiving the kind of reaction I got from my PM; it was like a ton of bricks lifted off my shoulders!! I am just so happy with my PM and will never go anywhere else!!

I admitted to her that I probably should have called while away but made the mistake of not doing so. Instead I called the day I got home from vacation, she was okay with that!!

I showed her where my injuries are and she said that all the trigger points are soooo tight and have a lot of muscle spasms which are iritating the nerves causing a lot of pain. She could actually see and feel the "line" of pain or spasm from my neck down to my mid back. And all of the lower back is also from iritation of the nerves which is aggrivating everything, meaning my DDD and bulging disk. Since switching doctors within the practice, she did not know that I had a lot of spasms (jerking motion spasms), pain and numbness throughout my hands, arms and feet. So between this injury and the "new" information, she prescribed Oxycodone 15mg to replace the percocets for BT, Neurontin for the nerves and a different muscle relaxer than what I have. I needed a muscle relaxer that wouldn't make me so sleepy during the day.

My neck is doing much better but not where I was prior to the injury and my back is a little better but as soon as I do more than walking, it aggrivates the injury and am back at square one. I think that once I start taking the Neurontin it will help with the inflammation and stop irritating my nerves in my back. I did resume a little back to workingout. I just walk or speedwalk on the treadmill, nothing more!! But I still can't speedwalk as fast as I was but at least I'm getting something done.

It is absolutely true what you said Executor!! Excercising releases a whole new world of energy which is another reason why I love to do it!!! The meds make you so tired sometimes so when I workout I feel incredibly great!! I've read the same thing that moderate excerise is recommended and actually can help reverse some of the pains; if your body allows you to do it! It's unfortunate that there are people that would love to do it but their body or pains just won't let them. In my case I just went too far!!

PMTEST - I hope you're doing better and am so very happy that your appt went well!! The facet injection; well I got one done in my neck for my herniated disk. To be honest, it made my neck MUCH worse!! My PM and I both agree that it just can't be done for my neck. I do hear stories that it works wonders for some and not for others. I guess it just really depends on the person and their pains. I REALLY hope it helps you!! When are you scheduled for it?

Last edited by cheryl810; 05-27-2009 at 06:23 AM.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
(male)

CynicalPain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl810 View Post
Well, I went to my PM appt this morning about my injury while on vacation; it went really well!! It turns out that my doctor is/was a big advocate for health and fitness; she can completely relate to what happened to me!!! In fact she has a lot arthritis throughout her body and had to stop running herself. For someone where fitness and health is a huge part of their life, it is just major depressing thing not to be able follow your active life all of a sudden. My doctor had explained that she too tried to run a few weeks ago even though her arthritis hurts her, she too injured herself and had to stop all together. I was SOOOOO relieved that she was able to relate and didn't get upset with me!
She increased my meds and told me to come back in week to see how the meds are working; she may keep me on the new increase depending how it goes. It was NOT a big deal at that I ran into a problem with the meds; she just said try not to get into this situation again. I was happy to hear her also say that I can continue to workout once I get this injury under control but know my limits and just take it easy. That made my day!!!
And just how did you find a doc who actually cares?!
Is there a site called DocsWhoActuallyDoTheirJobs.com???

Seriously, glad to hear you made out OK, seems you were really freaking out. Don't blame you though, as any of us in PM knows how quirky some docs can be and are about as predictable as a wild animal.

Closed Thread