It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
(female)

lcs85 HB User
can I wear 2 duragesic 25mg patches at once? what are the side effects

can I wear 2 duragesic 25mg patches at once? what are the side effects? do I have to have someone stay with me because this is the first time I have tried the Duragesic patches? will it help me sleep? I have not been able to rest good at all for the last 72 hrs.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: can I wear 2 duragesic 25mg patches at once? what are the side effects

Hello - what medications were you taking before the patches? What brand are you using? Yes some people do wear them this way but I think most doctors switch their patients over more slowly like starting with one patch. I am sure there are cases of people starting out this way with 2 at once, but I didn't.

I was nervous the first time I started using them, I made sure to really understand everything about the medication, side effects, and what to do and not do. I put the first one on in the morning instead of at night so I would be up all day the first day to see how I reacted to the change. I switched over very easily with no side affects. This is a serious medication and it is important to really understand the proper use and what to watch out for. If at any time you have trouble breathing, feel excessively sleepy or not right, take the patch off and speak to your doctor or pharmacist. Make sure to not used a damaged patch.

There is a good thread at the top of the forum on the patches with good hints read it, also look through the old archives. I have to go now, but will watch to see if others give you more advice.

Last edited by PNo; 05-31-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

You should only wear two if and only if your prescribing doctor has told you that you can or should. NEVER, ever take more of a medication than what has been prescribed to you, and only increase your dosage after your prescribing doctor has told you that you can.
There are over the counter sleep aids if you need those, which you should also discuss with your doctor first, before taking them or he can prescribe one for you.
Back

Old 05-31-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

What did your doc tell you to do? Or better yet, what did he prescribe?

Old 05-31-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Thank you Backhurtz for your important post to this person!

lcs85 - Side Effects - you could die from improper use. This is serious medication, repeating what backhurtz said - never do anything but what your doctor prescribes so that you stay safe.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

The best approach is to see your Dr. and discuss going to the 50mcg/hr patches. If he/she thinks that's appropriate, there should be no problem. As far as the patch helping you to sleep, that's kind of a grey area. In theory, if your pain is under control, you should be able to sleep, but depending on the patches for sleep is not a good idea. Psychologically, you could actually defeat the pain control of the patch by expecting it to be a sleep aid.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
(female)

pearless HB User

What did the Doctor prescribe to you? This is very important for you to remember as long as you are on duragesic patches. ALWAYS ALWAYS remove the old patch prior to placing a new patch. Your system can build up an extremely TOXIC level of the medication in your system.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

I wear two 50 patch's for the reason that I could not get the patch to work for 72hr so I put the 1 x 50 on one day then 1 1/2 days later I put on the other than change the first after another 1 1/2 days and continue making sure I keep a diary and stick to the routine and each patch is no for 72hrs. It has worked well for me and stabilises the blood content. So it is 36 hours between each new patch and is not up and down all the time which nearly sent me bonkers. Good luck and if you persist with your doctors supervision and your vigilance to check the diary each morning and night it can work. It has done for me. Allan

Closed Thread